s/o What misspelling bothers you most?

There, their, they're

I can look past most misspellings, but it frustrates me when people do not use any punctuation. How hard is it to add a period, comma, or question mark?

I am guilty of misspellings from time to time so I am very grateful to spell check. It has saved me many a time. I used to work with a lady who was the total grammar police. She would actually spell check sticky notes (circle the incorrect word). She had other issues but that was one of them. She was just a wicked person. So, in short, I don’t get too hung up on incorrect spellings. PTSD I guess.. lol

People using the word "apart" when they mean "a part" . I've been reading applications for the program I run and I'd say 30% of these applications (from high school seniors) use this word incorrectly ("I want to be apart of your program"). Also "alot" is commonly used. My daughter's teacher uses both in her correspondence to us and it drives me crazy as well.

Using apostrophes for pluralization is very annoying to me. There tend to be tips that come out every Christmas about the correct way to make names plural but I still think most people believe 'S is correct.
Same here. Apostrophes should only be used for possesives, and speaking of which, my biggest pet peeve is when companies that have historically used the possessive apostrophe drops them for stylistic reasons. For example, the book store Waterstone's dropped the apostrophe years ago to become Waterstones. Likewise, Madame Tussaud's did the same. To me, that makes the names imply that more than one Waterstone or Madame Tussaud founded those companies, and it also makes them forget their roots. Morrisons, however, is different. Although the supermarket chain was founded by William Morrison (hence the corporate name Wm. Morrison Supermarkets PLC), it has for years been a publicly-traded family company until the last Morrison involved in the company retired, so at least the lack of an apostrophe is justified, since it's the plural of a family name, as opposed to a possessive of a single person.

More grammatical, but I hate it:

"Me and my brother went to school today." It should be, "My brother and I went to school today." If your brother was home sick, you wouldn't say "Me went to school today"

Also, I once wrote into a company that was advertising their "Slime razor", rather than a "Slim razor". They were happy someone finally pointed it out. I wonder if it helped them get sales?

None. Most of the mistakes are by accident or by people who can't help it. My mother has a brain injury and misspells so many words, the spellcheck on her tablet is never even right. :laughing: The number of people that feel the need to correct her is dumb. :rolleyes: If you can still understand what the person is trying to say, who cares how they spelled it. It's not a spelling test and you're not being graded. :rolleyes1

aww, I get it, I had brain surgery, and as a result lost quite a bit of memory. I had a small brain bleed during it. The surgery was already at the base of the brain, so the end result was permanent memory loss. Incredibly frustrating when I am trying to answer someone, and lose my train of thought. I also have a few languages in there, and can mix them up.

Also brain injuries are so invisible most of the time, one would never know.

You dare to correct me? In a thread I started? :rotfl2: :teeth:

Kidding, of course. Yeah, I know it's a word, but it's not the word. No relation to eating, at all.

I can only go by what you wrote which was (very emphatically) that it was not a word.

I figured that someone who gets upset about the spelling errors that other people make, would want their factual errors pointed out.

More grammatical, but I hate it:

"Me and my brother went to school today." It should be, "My brother and I went to school today." If your brother was home sick, you wouldn't say "Me went to school today"

Also, I once wrote into a company that was advertising their "Slime razor", rather than a "Slim razor". They were happy someone finally pointed it out. I wonder if it helped them get sales?

bold >> IRKS me to know end. Fingernails on a chalk board when "well educated roll models" conversate using "Me and ---" :duck:

I can only go by what you wrote which was (very emphatically) that it was not a word.w

I figured that someone who gets upset about the spelling errors that other people make, would want their factual errors pointed out.
Lighten up, Francis? Is it possible you missed the " :rotfl2: ", the "kidding..." statement, and the acknowledgement that I'm aware it's a word? It's not THE word people use it as. However, out of courtesy, I will not edit my "A." to "The." in the quoted post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter