??'s about age of teens going into the Edge/Vibe clubs...

ctc917

DIS Veteran
I was wondering what your most recent experiences are with Teens staying in the Edge club or moving up to the Vibe Club if they are close to the age cut off?
The reason I ask is my son will be turning 14 yrs old 5 weeks after our cruise and I'm thinking he will be more interested in joining the older crowd in the Vibe Club if he can. I do know in the past it was ok then DCL changed their rules and it wasn't ok, so now that we have a cruise booked and he is that close to the age cut off for the Vibe I was what they are allowing you to do now?
So I was wondering what your more recent experiences have been with your Teens and the Vibe Club?
I was also wondering that if they allowed your teen to go to the Vibe club did they also allow them to join the Teen Wild side excursion on Castaway Cay, or do they hold to that age.

thanks

ctc917

My two DD's (13 - Nov. birthday, and 11 - Oct. birthday) had an awesome cruise on the Fantasy from August 13 - 20! I had heard that my 13 year old would possibly be able to go to Vibe when she connected with several girls before the cruise via a FB group. On Embarkation Day, after we grabbed some lunch, we all went to Edge to get signed in, then my oldest and I went to Vibe. It was no problem at all to get Vibe access. I just had to sign a waiver form and she got a new, special Vibe Key to the World Card. We then went back to Edge to get her Edge sticker. She LOVED Vibe and hanging out with the girls she met. I don't think she even went to Edge. My 11 year old LOVED Edge too. It was her first cruise (after 4) to be able to go there. I barely saw either of them during the week as they were in the clubs or with new friends they met.

My older daughter was also able to join the Vibe gang and other teens on the Teen Wild Side port adventure at CC. Another waiver was needed so she could leave the ship as part of the group and not with me. Do that at Guest Services. She had a blast!

Have a great cruise!

It all depends on if they are 'full' for that age group. My son is 1 month shy of the EDGE group and that is what they told me. I just have to check in with them when we get onboard and they will let us know.

It all depends on if they are 'full' for that age group. My son is 1 month shy of the EDGE group and that is what they told me. I just have to check in with them when we get onboard and they will let us know.
Quite right. DCL plans on X number of kids in each club level. If that level hasn't been met in, say, Vibe, then a 13 year old would most likely be allowed to "age up". If the number of actual 14-17 year olds on the cruise maxs out the number allowed, a 13 year old will not be allowed to attend Vibe.

You won't know the answer to the question until you actually board and talk to the CMs at the separate clubs.

So, we talk about all the things to worry about with the younger kids. Does anyone worry about the teens having that independence? Does anyone sneak drugs on board or find that quiet place where you wish you'd given your son (or daughter) condoms?

So, we talk about all the things to worry about with the younger kids. Does anyone worry about the teens having that independence? Does anyone sneak drugs on board or find that quiet place where you wish you'd given your son (or daughter) condoms?
No doubt that such things could happen. A ship is a small city. Bad things happen everywhere. Being diligent about personal safety never takes a vacation.

(Boy, was that a lot of cliches) :teeth:

I was wondering the same thing about Edge! My DS is 10.5 on our cruise, but he has always been more comfortable with older kids (probably since he is big for his age and very sporty/competitive). We were watching some planning videos and he did not seem that thrilled when they were showing the kids club spaces but when they showed Edge he was pretty excited. Especially with wanting some separation from his 4 year old brother, hopefully he will be able to participate in both! I will check when we get on board, hopefully he can do both!

I imagine teenagers have hooked up on cruises. Probably happens more than people would like to admit since the older kids are not tracked by the counselors. I don't even think they actually sign in and out like they do in the Lab and Club. If you are worried about your teens doing those things talk to them about why drugs are a big no no and safe sex practices are good cruise or no cruise. I would hope with only a week on board kids aren't hooking up but I think parents would be naive to think it doesn't ever happen.

Also remind your kids about personal safety. To use good judgement if invited to someone else's cabin and never go into the cabin alone if say the room steward is cleaning the room or maintenance is there. This is not to say I don't trust room stewards and maintenance crew but you honestly never know on a cruise ship.

Good heavens, this is a Disney ship not downtown LA.

Just wanted to weigh in with my experiences and thoughts about the Vibe Teen club. To each their own, of course.

First off, we traveled with my family and my sister's family. We have two boys, 14 and 15. They have two girls, 13 and 16. My nieces are more shy and my sons are more outgoing, so we wanted all four to be able to be together, to have fun together, and to look out for each other. We had no problem getting the 13-year-old into Vibe. My sons told me there were more than 50 teens in Vibe that first night for the ice-breakers, but I guess that wasn't over the limit. I asked my 13 year-old niece at the end of the cruise if the older kids gave her a hard time, and she said they didn't, but she had three people she knew to help her out, too.

They all liked Vibe very much. They enjoyed many of the scheduled activities like Zombified, Gender Wars, etc. They ate all their meals with us and did all the excursions we did, and for the most part when to all the main shows that we did, as well as hanging out with us or just with their cousins at various times on the ship. So we saw them plenty and enjoyed good family time. But there were plenty of times they wanted to go off to Vibe and that was fine too. It gave us a great chance to be alone as the adults and enjoy the many adult activities on the ships. (There are really great adult spaces and activities!) Vibe activities ran until 1AM each night, and though we never let them stay 'til then, they did stay out later than we might have let them stay out in other venues back home. Plus it was good practice for them to have to break away at the time we designated and and "come home." Only once did we have to come get them (because they didn't come home on time), and when we got to the outer doors of Vibe, there they were, in the process of leaving.

As for safety, I have several thoughts, that come from my experience with the ship, and my outlook in general. Just my opinion.

The first is, the ship is MUCH safer than a city. Completely safe? No. Of course not. Nothing is. It is much smaller than a city. Much fewer people than a city, and a greater percentage of them are families trying to have a vacation, so a smaller chance of danger. Plus there are way more crew and cast members looking out for the guests, and the kids especially. We told the kids not to go into any stateroom other than ours, not to bring others to our cabins, and we have had lots of frank conversations about sex and drugs and laid out our specific expectations for them. Could they still do it? Sure. But I think it is less likely than back home, and certainly less likely than some unfamiliar city.

One other thought that I haven't seen expressed much on these boards when people are talking about their kids (teens especially) is the benefits of letting kids learn independence and responsibility through the opportunity to practice it. As a parent, I want my sons to learn to make good choices and behave responsibly, and to do that, they need chances to TRY that. I don't want to just throw them out and say "good luck." So when a somewhat sheltered, lower-risk opportunity comes up for them to practice being responsible, I jump at it. It is great for them developmentally. I also was very clear that this freedom I was giving them was on a trial basis, and that if they wish it to continue they must use it wisely.

One other thing, given that kids are kids, and hormones are hormones, I submit to you for consideration that Vibe might be the BEST place for your teens to be when they are out of your sight during the cruise. My sons told me that the counselors had strict rules about PDA (Public Displays of Affection) and enforced those rules pretty strictly. (The counselors were more lax about the no cursing rules, but reigned that in some.) So there weren't make out sessions (or worse) in the Vibe spaces or during the Vibe activities. However, on the last full day, at Castaway Cay, my 15-year-old son and I were swimming in the water on the beach and we observed a group of about 10 teens (8 boys, 2 girls) standing in the calm waters. They were (apparently) playing some sort of truth or dare, that culminated in 9 people trying to convince this one girl to make out with this one boy, and then counting a certain number of seconds before they could stop. (And then restarting the countdown, etc.) My son whispered to me that all those kids were from Vibe. If they had been in Vibe at that moment (or with their parents) they wouldn't have been participating in that heavy duty peer pressure.

React to that as you wish. Even that isn't sex or drugs, but maybe not what you'd want for your kids on vacation, or maybe exactly what they'd be doing at home. I don't know.

I just know that for my sons and my nieces, Vibe was a fun time, and a good mix between safety and freedom. I know it gave my shy nieces a chance to assert themselves and feel good about their self-confidence, and it gave my sons a chance to practice good choices and observe the choices of others. That, to me, made Vibe a good experience for my family.

I like to think I've raised a smart daughter who wouldn't do those things, and wouldn't be drawn to a crowd who does, but I worry about those things as well. More especially on our upcoming cruise when she will be freshly 14 and able to go to Vibe and hang out with 17 year olds. She's mature (looking and acting), and confident in herself and her boundaries, but this mama would be lying if she said she wasn't concerned. Disney ship or not, both of those things can happen anywhere. And on the ship, I know my daughter has a little more freedom to come and go than she does at home, plus I know her friends at home... I don't know the people on the boat.

The first is, the ship is MUCH safer than a city. Completely safe? No. Of course not. Nothing is. It is much smaller than a city. Much fewer people than a city, and a greater percentage of them are families trying to have a vacation, so a smaller chance of danger. Plus there are way more crew and cast members looking out for the guests, and the kids especially. We told the kids not to go into any stateroom other than ours, not to bring others to our cabins, and we have had lots of frank conversations about sex and drugs and laid out our specific expectations for them. Could they still do it? Sure. But I think it is less likely than back home, and certainly less likely than some unfamiliar city.

Family - even "family trying to have a vacation" - is sadly no insurance of no danger. There are PLENTY of examples of outwardly happy and normal families that actually hid nightmares - either for themselves or for their children. EVEN families that took vacations together.

Understood, Beth. I'm just saying I feel it is safer than a "small city." As I said, it may also be safer than home, depending on the home, as you point out.

I'm just saying that striving to keep our kids perfectly safe at all times is A) Impossible, and B) carries its own risks.

I like to think I've raised a smart daughter who wouldn't do those things, and wouldn't be drawn to a crowd who does, but I worry about those things as well. More especially on our upcoming cruise when she will be freshly 14 and able to go to Vibe and hang out with 17 year olds. She's mature (looking and acting), and confident in herself and her boundaries, but this mama would be lying if she said she wasn't concerned. Disney ship or not, both of those things can happen anywhere. And on the ship, I know my daughter has a little more freedom to come and go than she does at home, plus I know her friends at home... I don't know the people on the boat.

This will be me. I really want my 14 year old to stick with his 12 year old brother in the Edge, but I feel like I need to give him some freedom to check out the Vibe, too. You're right about friends, though. You know his friends at home and you know their parents, likely, as well. On a ship, they're all acquaintances. Hopefully, I've done my job as a parent and taught them to make good decisions, but that peer pressure anecdote from PP is exactly the thing I fear. Maybe it's not sex or drugs, but maybe it's showing off and being stupid, which, on a ship, could be deadly.

If you are worried about your teens doing those things talk to them about why drugs are a big no no and safe sex practices are good cruise or no cruise. I would hope with only a week on board kids aren't hooking up but I think parents would be naive to think it doesn't ever happen.

Also remind your kids about personal safety.

Of course, I'm hoping as parents we're doing this anyway even without planning for a cruise!

Of course, I'm hoping as parents we're doing this anyway even without planning for a cruise!

So true. I have to imagine if you are worried about your kids doing something "stupid" on a cruise then you should already be worried in their day to day. The peer pressure is the same as they'll see at school (unless of course they are home schooled) so it isn't just a subject that should be brought up because of vacation. If anything vacation should only need a quick reminder because it is things your teen already knows and would be comfortable facing.

We last sailed in 2012. My oldest DS was 16, DD was 14 and youngest DS was 12. DD couldn't wait to go to Vibe, while my 12 yo wasn't even sure he would like EDGE because it seemed more video games than actually fun and games. If my memory serves me correctly, at 12 he had a choice to stay with the younger group or go to EDGE. At first I didn't like that he was by himself, but there were a few times that the edge group competed against the vibe kids.

My DD...now she LOVED VIBE and made quite a few friends she still is in contact with today. I did give her much more freedom on the ship than I ever would at home at that age, but she knew to never travel alone, and anytime I saw her, she was with at least 4-5 kids. I had no problem letting her stay out til 1 AM for the dance parties or smoothie socials.

Next month we are cruising again, and she is *GASP* 18!!! It is going to be weird sailing with 2 adult children. And my poor youngest is again on his own because he is only 16. I don't think you can age up at 16 to the 1820 society.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter