• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Running for my Disney - Now a PTR!

Beautiful outfit, cant wait to see all the photos, not long to wait now. It is very exciting.

Gorgeous outfits and good to hear your running is coming on great. Such fun and not long now! Sorry about the house flooding though-that's not good. Glad the damage wasn't a bad a I guess it might have been.

Very quick update before I head off to work...

2 weeks as of yesterday :scared1:

I've had another minor setback :sad2: The muscle in my lower leg that is responsible for holding up my arch is getting fatigued and sore. My footfall is quite good, but may be out just enough that it's becoming a problem over the longer distances that I'm doing now. The physio has taped me up and we are going to be working very closely together over the next 2 weeks to get me through!

At this stage it looks like my plan for race weekend will have to be adjusted. I'll probably need to walk most of the 5k so my legs are nice and fresh for the 10k. If I have issues in the 10k, I'll just run through them (as long I don't deteriorate between now and then I'll be able to keep going on the day) and hope I'm not in too much pain for the rest of my holiday!

I'm super excited that it's getting so close, but also kind of terrified!

Hope your leg muscle is okay. :hug:

Your plan for the race sounds good. Here's to race day.

Hope your leg muscle is okay. :hug:

Your plan for the race sounds good. Here's to race day.

I hope it's all okay too. You have worked too hard to encounter issues now.

Yep, it's pretty frustrating :headache:

Went to the physio again today. I'll be practically living there until we leave :rotfl:

The tape didn't work for me, my skin is too sensitive. Plus it didn't seem to help that much on my 'run' this morning (which I walked most of). The physio has got me using some orthotics to try and support my arch a bit more. So far they don't fit in my shoes properly, so we'll have to see how they go. The trouble is that it's really too close to the race now to start introducing new things. I think a new pair of shoes with just slightly more support in that area could do the trick, but new shoes are definitely out.

Today there was more massaging, and we tried ultrasound this time instead of dry needling. The whole area was still very sensitive from Tuesday still. My left leg wasn't too bad, but the right one feels like it hasn't had a chance to recover yet. Too bad, it's not going to get a chance :rotfl:

The physio seemed a bit more concerned today, because I'm not at the tapering off stage yet, and he said we really need to still be building my fitness. Tapering starts next week, but because I've lost this week and some of last week, I'll have to still be building, which will mean that my legs don't get as much of a chance to rest before the event. This weekend I'm due for a 'run' just over 10k, with a 2:1 run/walk ratio. The physio said to try to push through even if I'm in pain. If the pain subsides within about 2 hours after the workout we're good, if not, we know we need to back off.

On the positive side, the physio has reassured me that I will NOT cause any actual damage to my legs if I push through the pain on the day. Knowing that, I will be confident to keep running even if I'm in a lot of pain and worry about the consequences when I've got that shiny medal around my neck :thumbsup2 Worst case, I might not be able to walk after the run, but it will just be a matter of managing the symptoms so I can still enjoy my holiday until my legs naturally improve once I stop running. Maybe I can convince DH to push me around DL in a wheelchair after the race :rotfl:

I hope the Disney magic helps for a quick recovery after the race and not much pain during it:flower3:

I've just found out that the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour will NOT include Walt's apartment for our dates :sad1: With no Walt's apartment and no Club 33, I don't think I'll bother. I wonder if it would be worth doing the new DCA tour instead :confused3 Thoughts?

In other news, DH has just changed his flights :rolleyes: He is now leaving on the Wednesday, flying Qantas economy Melbourne - Sydney, Qantas premium economy Sydney - Singapore, Cathay economy Singapore - HK, Cathay business HK - LA. He was desperate to try Cathay's business class :rotfl: He hasn't changed his flights back, so that will still be Fiji business LA - Nadi, Fiji business Nadi - Brisbane, Qantas business Brisbane - Melbourne. He's very excited that he gets to try business class with 3 airlines :rotfl:

He will be away for less than 2 weeks in total (including travel time).

Crazy man :crazy2:

If your DH is happy, then I'm happy for you.

Personally, I would much rather a more direct route. :confused3 But that's me. ;)

If your DH is happy, then I'm happy for you.

Personally, I would much rather a more direct route. :confused3 But that's me. ;)

It's just DH who's changed his flight PIO. Mine hasn't changed :thumbsup2 I wouldn't bother to go via HK unless I was able to fit in a small stopover ;)

I agree. As long as your DH is happy, that is all that matters.

But I am curious - including transit time in airports, how long is that flight to LA?

He actually had a minor freak out when he saw the total flight time - over 35 hours :scared1:

Glad it's not me :lmao:

So...

I just went for my last distance training run - all 10.4km of it :scared:

Told DH I'd be back in about an hour and a half, finished in 1:29:23! I actually ditched my walk breaks for about the last km, wanting to see how much I still had in the tank. Turns out it wasn't very much :rotfl2: The hills really took it out of me on the second half and I felt every inch of even the smallest inclines!

Miraculously, my legs felt ok! My arches started aching a little in the last few kms, but I'm thinking that's due to them not being used to the orthotics yet. I was also getting a blister on my right heel I think due to the different placement of my foot in the shoe with the orthotics (but that's easily fixed). We'll see how they pull up tomorrow, but I'm feeling much more positive! Basically, I did an extra 1/2 km, on rolling hills, and still made it with 10 minutes to spare (on the day the time limit will be about 1:40, and the course is about the flattest you can get) :thumbsup2

Glad to have that one out of the way and know that the next time I put out that kind of effort, I'll come away with a big shiny medal around my neck :thumbsup2

Thats good news:woohoo: Cant wait to see photos of you with that shiny medal.

He actually had a minor freak out when he saw the total flight time - over 35 hours :scared1: Glad it's not me :lmao:

Wow, that's a lot of hours lost in transit. At least though he will pass many of them in peaceful slumber enjoying the comfort of business class.

Congrats on doing so well with your run. If you can achieve such a great time on hills, you will find a flat surface run a breeze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter