• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor - Spirit of Aloha dinner show will not be returning to the Polynesian

I wouldn't be surprised if they turned that area into a new Poly DVD area and built a new longhouse there.

Poly DVC right now has only studios and bungalows with nothing in between. I hate to say it, but a Polynesian branded building with some 1- and 2-bedroom units and grand villas, and an upscale quiet pool, would fill that gap. With that prime location and iconic Polynesian theme, it would probably sell extremely well.

There is a thread over on wdwmagic right now speculating on this exact thing. Though the rumor there is that it's going to be a DVC tower. While it's still firmly in the rumor category, even Martin (their "insider of all insiders") has said he wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

This will not be a popular opinion and it's based solely on my selfish wants. My husband and I went to the luau years ago and it was definitely a one and done for us. It was cute, but nowhere near worth the cost in our humble opinions. We are DVC owners and love the Poly, but have little to no interest in studios and not nearly enough points to blow them all on the bungalows. So if they did add a DVC building there and they added in 1 and 2 BR's? I'd be pretty darn happy about that. The main reason we didn't buy at the Poly was their lack of 1 and 2 BR's, and I don't think we are the only ones that feel that way.

This is not an indictment of you at all, just using your quote as the jump-off:

"Disney has to raise prices to control crowds!"

Disney: *builds more hotel rooms*

They ain't worried about controlling crowds, folks, that's not what the price increases are about.

They are probably working on the animatronic version of the Spirit of Aloha dinner show. You don't have to feed, pay or insure robots.

Now THIS is an experience I wouldn't mind saying goodbye to! Very cheeky show, and sorry, but the food was terrible too

Part of the Contemporary became BLT. Part of CBR became Riviera. Part of CSR became a tower.

Speculation seems logical

Part of the Contemporary became BLT. Part of CBR became Riviera. Part of CSR became a tower.

And part of Fort Wilderness became nothing, even though they had cleared land and did some infrastructure work for a DVC resort.

I attended the Luau years ago after experiencing a couple luau's in the Hawaii Islands. I thought the the Disney version was "cute" but no way close to the luau's on the Hawaiian Islands.

We took our parents and family here years back, once snd done but the memories are lifetime ones ( RIP to both). Imho it was kitschy fun rather than true Hawaiian luau. However, It really was a part of the Disney Poly immersion. These type experiences add to vacations and with the price of Ever Increasing on site room rates the Add on opportunities are expected. now Disney keeps UPcharging while removing more and more. Very disappointed overall. (No plans to renew the AP) ..
Truly hope HDDR stays, it’s a Part of that area and would be such a loss. More so than luau.
glad to hear Yeeha Bob back…another one of those quirky experiences.

Imho… Disney has lost their way, just charging more, offering less, that magical full immersion has been replaced by an Overall feeling of greed.
I DO think Disney is responsible for making families have certain expectations and meeting them as that’s been their marketing strategy… Happiest Place etc. they now get a failing grade in that regard.
eventually they will realize that a certain part of their long time guests just aren’t returning.

more room for others to spend their money.

If they build a new Poly DVC, I hope they don't build the rumored tower, but rather keep to the scale of the 3-story longhouses. Not only because of the aesthetics, but because the Poly is a victim of its own success - always so packed with, both people staying there and people visiting. I cannot imagine the strain on resources and space if something larger were built.

And with what happened in CSR, I would assume they would not add more facilities. AT CSR, they built a huge tower, and they didn't add any pools or hot tubs. Poly pools are already packed. Can you imagine if they added a tower and didn't add more pools and hot tubs?

I see the logic there, but is there a big enough footprint there (on google maps the space seems only big enough to fit another longhouse) without changing the Monorail track (!!!) or bumping out into the lagoon (ugh !) .

I was watching this YouTube video the other day and he said they just put up a new Spirit of Aloha sign. If that’s true, why would they put up a new sign for something they planned on not opening? Sign is at about 4:29 in the video. Can anyone confirm if this is new or not?

this is not a show worth repeating. I mean how many times does one have to leave the “home town” for the “big city” only to realize “there’s no place like home”? The male fire dancers are good though…..

this is not a show worth repeating. I mean how many times does one have to leave the “home town” for the “big city” only to realize “there’s no place like home”? The male fire dancers are good though…..

Apparently one has to do that twice a night at different category levels. When it's showing of course.

Maybe if it comes back without the cultural
cast they could use polka dancers from the Wisconsin Dells. They are off season right now.

Apparently one has to do that twice a night at different category levels. When it's showing of course.

Maybe if it comes back without the cultural
cast they could use polka dancers from the Wisconsin Dells. They are off season right now.
I meant if you have seen it once then it is not worth repeating. I have actually been to it 4 times. Only because we were traveling with different family members each time. The last time we did the dinner it was for 11 people, in December, and in the 50s. The food was cold the heaters that they had out did not help much if at all and you could even see the cast members were very cold.

Why in the world would they not bring back the ”cultural cast”? Your sarcasm is not lost on me.

It is the Polynesian resort and one would expect to see cast members that are from at the very least Hawaii. So why would you even post such a ridiculous comment about Wisconsin Dell performers?

Apparently, you did not understand my post

A more authentic luau would be great without the “story”.

If someone wants to see the show every night of their vacation then that is up to them.

I mean - I feel like a ton of Disney movies have this exact premise. Come to think of it, lots of studios share the same message in movies, writers in books, etc ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter