Rumor of future discounts

I hate to break it to them, but economics don't adhere to the "if you build it, they will come" rules. :rotfl:

Exactly. I am amazed Disney's CEO said this:

"...so that we can send the signal that we need to send to the consumer that the economy is stronger than it was a few years ago, and that discounting that we obviously had to implement during the downturn is something of the past."

I know GDP in the 4th quarter was 2.1%, which isn't great but better than it had been, but did you see the Commerce Department's announcement today? Not only was 2nd Quarter (April - June) GDP growth a dismal 1.3% (below forecasts), but they also revised 1st Quarter (January - March) GDP growth downward from 1.9% to an anemic 0.4%! :eek:

Oh, and consumer spending in the 2nd Quarter? Practically non-existent at 0.1%. Yes...it flat-lined. :faint:

But don't worry! Disney's CEO wants to "send the signal" that the recession is over and the economy is improving! :sad2:

LOL! They're trying SO hard to WILL that dang economy into a better state......... :rotfl:

I laugh every time I hear this crazy comments. They are so incongruous with the news stories on every day.

LOL! They're trying SO hard to WILL that dang economy into a better state......... :rotfl:

I laugh every time I hear this crazy comments. They are so incongruous with the news stories on every day.

Their comments also sound a little smug to me. But still, I wish they could will us into a better economy :sad2:.

We can't really fathom going without a discount. It's not that we think we 'deserve' one...but we've never paid rack rate that I can remember LOL

We love Free Dining, but if that wasn't offered I suppose we'd go with a room discount and pay OOP for the plan or stay off site again, like we did in the 'old' days.

I'll throw my $0.02 in to the mix. Like everyone else here, we LOVE Disney and prefer to be on-site. However, we will only consider Deluxe. Mostly because we like to enjoy time at the resort and do spend some time in our room relaxing and recharging for the next adventure. That being said, we will absolutely never pay rack rate. Ever. Disney is under no obligation to offer discounts, and I certainly don't fault them for their prices. That's the beauty of capitalism! Disney can charge whatever rates they please, and it's up to the consumers to decide if they want to pay their prices. For our family, Disney rack rates are not worth our hard earned dollars. The "perks" of staying on-site don't really apply to us because 1. We like to drive our own car and won't deal with the hassle of the buses. 2. We use touring plans and avoid parks with EMH, too many people flocking to the same place! We can visit a non EMH park and deal with less crowds. 3. We are not Dining Plan people. So really, the only reason we like to stay on-site is for the monorail and being in the bubble. In the past, just those two reasons were enough for us to pay discounted rates at a Deluxe. Our last Poly visit was the 4/7 deal and it was a good value.
But now that I've started researching our upcoming trip in Jan., I have been shocked at how much the rates have risen in just a short amount of time.:scared1: Especially in this economy! But I recon that people are still willing to pay the rates or Disney would offer discounts. But this time for us, we are voting with our pocketbooks. Unless Disney offers a great discount, we will be off property. Even if they offer a discount, we still may stay off-site. The savings and value of Bonnet Creek are just too good for us to pass up now. The fact that DH and I can have our own room and the boys can have their own space is a huge plus for us. There is just no way we can afford that on Disney property, even by renting DVC points. Besides, we are planning 2 days at Universal and 1 day at Legoland, so being off site makes more sense for us this time.
Our boys are getting older and being on the monorail isn't as important to me now that we don't have strollers to deal with. Dashing back to the room for a nap isn't as necessary now either. Even when you add in parking fees at the parks, it is still way below the cost of a weeks stay at a Disney resort.
I'm enjoying this thread! I'm still only half way through it, but it's given me a lot to consider. I love this board! :yay:

I wonder how many millionaires vacation at wdw? My brother who makes 500,000 + a year hated everything about wdw. His wife said epcot was just a "fake europe" she would rather go to the real thing. They prefer to take their family to europe or other exotic places. Not saying the rich don't visit wdw, but IMO disneys biggest consumer is the middle class making between 50,000- 250,000 and they are outpricing their customers.

I think this is a valid point. The deluxe hotels, including the GF, do not compare to the Ritz or a Fairmont (ok i did stay at one Fairmont that was below par but i digress) or a Shangri-La or....you get my point. Yes, the parks are fun and some adults love them as well but I have to say that the majority of my well-to-do friends will only go once so their children have the experience. After that or mostly they are then sticking with their trips to Europe, their ski trips, the beach resorts offering true luxury and the like. Disneys market IMO is the moderate family and foreign families who take more than one vacation a year. If they out price the former they are taking a large gamble on there being enough of the latter to fill the gap.

I love taking my son to Disney World but only take him because for us it was a reasonably priced second or third vacation or maybe a mini-vacation. I will not continue to go a couple times a year if we have to pay rack rates because the cost does not equal the quality you receive at rack rates. If Disney wants to attract those that will pay full price on top of higher ticket prices then they need to improve the deluxe rooms and the dining quality.

Did you all see the rumor for free dining promo?? Where did it come from...is there a valid source??? I saw it on this thread, but don't have time to research it right now!

Did you all see the rumor for free dining promo?? Where did it come from...is there a valid source??? I saw it on this thread, but don't have time to research it right now!
This "rumor" is posted on The Dis homepage, The Dis Facebook page and a number of TA websites and blogs. It is still a rumor, but someone at The Dis and some of those TAs must know something pretty concrete or they would not have posted this so early.

I guess the "inside source" of the OP in this thread and the "insider source" of the OP in the Rumor thread need to get their stories stright :-) They seem to be contridicting each other.

HI again,WITH ALL THE RESPECT TO ALL THE MEMBERS I'm not a child, I'm 44 years old,I have a beautiful 40 years wife and a incredible 9 years son, i don't have time to fake a post about FD, i'm very proud of being a Disboards member since 2008 and never posted something incorrect or fake, I have this REAL AND CONFIRMED information from 9 days ago and i didn't posted before because I was afraid of the reaction of some people, but yesterday I think again and say why not bring good news for a lot of families like mine here at my beloved Disboards.
Now I'm here saying again do the happy dance, I NEVER NEVER will post something incorrect to play with the illusions of a lot of families, THESE ARE THE DATES, THESE ARE THE CODES AND YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY THE PHOTOBOOK, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE DO THE HAPPY DANCE AND HAVE BELIEVED CONGRATULATIONS AND FOR THE OTHERS MEMBERS WHO PREFERS TO WAIT I UNDERSTAND BUT YOU ARE MISSING OUR DANCEEEEE:banana::banana::banana:
I'm here to ask your questions have a magical weekend :wizard:

Danny, I am dancing party:, hoping it's true and even more hoping I can get the the hotel and room I want with this discount.

Danny, I am dancing party:, hoping it's true and even more hoping I can get the the hotel and room I want with this discount.

Thanks for the confidence, I celebrate with you too, you will find the resort that you want, only a couple of days and it's out :thumbsup2

HI again,WITH ALL THE RESPECT TO ALL THE MEMBERS I'm not a child, I'm 44 years old,I have a beautiful 40 years wife and a incredible 9 years son, i don't have time to fake a post about FD, i'm very proud of being a Disboards member since 2008 and never posted something incorrect or fake, I have this REAL AND CONFIRMED information from 9 days ago and i didn't posted before because I was afraid of the reaction of some people, but yesterday I think again and say why not bring good news for a lot of families like mine here at my beloved Disboards.
Now I'm here saying again do the happy dance, I NEVER NEVER will post something incorrect to play with the illusions of a lot of families, THESE ARE THE DATES, THESE ARE THE CODES AND YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY THE PHOTOBOOK, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE DO THE HAPPY DANCE AND HAVE BELIEVED CONGRATULATIONS AND FOR THE OTHERS MEMBERS WHO PREFERS TO WAIT I UNDERSTAND BUT YOU ARE MISSING OUR DANCEEEEE:banana::banana::banana:
I'm here to ask your questions have a magical weekend :wizard:

Hope this isn't in regards to me? If so, I am sorry, I didn't mean to discredit anyone...just that I have scoured the internet for hours at a time looking for deals, and today is the first day I haven't been online looking, and I come on DIS and there it is!! SO excited as we are going Oct 1-8, so now I will book a room only reservation for Oct 1 (may even go 1 day early) and then book the package for 2-8!!!! woohoo!! :worship:

Hope this isn't in regards to me? If so, I am sorry, I didn't mean to discredit anyone...just that I have scoured the internet for hours at a time looking for deals, and today is the first day I haven't been online looking, and I come on DIS and there it is!! SO excited as we are going Oct 1-8, so now I will book a room only reservation for Oct 1 (may even go 1 day early) and then book the package for 2-8!!!! woohoo!! :worship:

Nope it's not for someone specifically, congratulations:cheer2: I will check in september 24 and stay until october 5 :banana:

I'm glad to see some discounts for 2012 opening up, so far nothing that helps me, but I'm hoping some come up. I'm currently paying over $700 more for a 7 night stay at Pop than I did in 2010, and the 2010 trip was with free dining!

Terri

I have only read a few of the posts but I know some people can only afford Disney if they get a discount. Disney is so much higher than other places anyway and I am sure they are not loosing if they give people some sort of discount. I never used a free dinning plan however if it was available during my stay, I would use it. My family and I have only got the opportunity to visit Disney twice but I would go every year if we had the money. I love Disney. We are looking into going next year but we need some sort of discount. We would like to go the first of June. I have not booked anything. Still waiting on a discount. Also we are waiting to see if family and friends would like to go with us. Disney is so magical, I think everyone deserves the opportunity see and feel all that magic. With the way the econamy is right now could you imagine the affect it would have on everyone if Disney actually took that into consideration and put it in the adds and commercials. I think it would be huge!! Even the people that doesn't normally go to Disney, well I think they would consider it as a vacation. Try something different in the commercials. I am sure it would open some eyes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter