• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Royal Wedding - thoughts?

Sarah28

DIS Veteran
Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are about the upcoming Royal Wedding? I love a good wedding, so will probably end up watching it on the telly popcorn:: is anyone else? Anyone doing anything special or think it's over-hyped? Anyone just glad to have an extra day off!?!?

I must admit that with all the hype of the last few months, I'll be glad when it's over. We're not doing anything special to celebrate the wedding, there are no street parties around us, but I would imagine that it will be on the telly, and I can't wait to see what Kate will be wearing, and her guests too

I just hope it's a lovely, sunny day for them :lovestruc

I could really care less and can't wait for it to be over!

I really do think it's a Scotland/England thing as the majority of people up here really don't seem to give two hoots about it!

And don't get me started on the fact our taxes pay for it! :rolleyes1

Nothing will top Charles and Di.;) I watched the whole thing when they got married! I think we have had so many royal weddings that this doesn't seem 'special'. :confused3 Glad to have the day off work.:thumbsup2

not too fussed about the whole thing but my DD (10) is looking forward to it, she still goes in for that whole 'princess' thing.

I'm working and being paid double time and a half so I'm happy about that as it will be more spends for Orlando in August.

I could really care less and can't wait for it to be over!

I really do think it's a Scotland/England thing as the majority of people up here really don't seem to give two hoots about it!

And don't get me started on the fact our taxes pay for it! :rolleyes1

I don't even think it is that! I think out of my friends, very few actually care!

Unfortunately my exams start next week :scared1: So I will be revising like a madwoman and wont be able to enjoy a nice relaxing day with the family. Because our exams are 'global', the first exam is actually scheduled on Friday so a lot of people have to go in anyway!

A little less media coverage at minute would be helpful. Granted on the day media coverage is a must. But for last few weeks it's been non stop, everything from food to dress guessing.

Prob catch highlights no doubt on news :thumbsup2

All reality shows are jumping on band wagon, come dine with me, 4weddings, and my big fat gypsy wedding as well.

The media has dulled the whole royal wedding if you ask me, to the point now that I'm fed up of hearing about it and can't wait for it to pass.

Every channel you put on the TV, every paper you pick up talks about the wedding and sadly this is what I think it will be like for the rest of William & Kate's life from now onwards. And the comparison of Kate to Diana is just infuriating :headache: Kate will not (and won't want to be) a replacement for that special lady.

Unpaid day off work also, so whilst they all may be happy celebrating, the majority of the country will be out of pocket - and considering the tough enough times already, I'm sure plenty would rather be working.

On the only bright note :-)lmao:) I do want to see what kind of dress she's chosen!

I will probably watch some of it on TV, if the weather is great though we might go out instead :goodvibes

I think hearing about the wedding on the news is much better than hearing about countries protesting, stabbings and natural disasters.

I will be tuning in to see the wedding dress and who is wearing what :goodvibes

I think hearing about the wedding on the news is much better than hearing about countries protesting, stabbings and natural disasters.

I'd not actually thought about it that way, makes it seem a little better I suppose :thumbsup2

I'll be watching it with my dd and probably my mum. I expect the men will all go out! We have a street party organised in our cul-de-sac for afterwards with barbeques, games and competitions, so it should be fun.

I definitely think its a generation thing. For me the hype is nothing compared to the Charles and Di wedding - however my DD9 can't recall a royal wedding before and is fascinated. All the programmes showing weddings gone by which are monotonous to us are new and exciting to her. I'm a sucker for a wedding and on my own would have just watched to see Kate go into church but with DD will probably watch the whole day and she and I are going to make a Royal Wedding themed carpet picnic to enjoy while watching the TV :goodvibes:

I'm on the 'don't give a toss about the wedding but glad to have the day off' side of the fence :lmao:

I'm on the 'don't give a toss about the wedding but glad to have the day off' side of the fence :lmao:

Sums my thoughts up exactly! Maybe with just an added grumble that my taxes are paying for such a lavish affair in this time of recession ;)

:goodvibes

I am looking forward to watching it. My dd6 is very excited to watch a Princess wedding, I am keeping her off school to watch it as our scholls are open.

We are going to my mums to watch it and have our bunting and flags at the ready :rolleyes1 its my dd's first experience of a royal wedding and I hope she enjoys it.

My mum loves a good wedding :rotfl2:

Sums my thoughts up exactly! Maybe with just an added grumble that my taxes are paying for such a lavish affair in this time of recession ;)

:goodvibes

Ditto, except my employer along with others has not declared it as a Public Holiday so it will be business as usual :thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to it. ::yes:: I like to see all the pomp and circumstance so I'll definitely be watching it on TV! I'm not an out and out royalist but would much rather have a royal family than not - and this wedding has brought a huge boost to tourism.

I'll probably watch the highlights in the evening as I have to work from 8-6 :crazy2:

Definitely not something that holds any interest for me. I also don't see it as a Scottish/English thing as I don't know of a single person in my circle of family and friends who is excited by it, let alone planning on doing anything special or watching it on TV.
And yet every day we are being force fed all this drivel from the news channels, adverts and newspapers that this is the biggest event for years and everyone, aparently, is looking forward to it. :confused3

Where are all these people??

I think if it had been allowed to build it's own momentum, rather than the constant coverage of the past weeks, then people may have tuned in to see for themselves. But as it stands most are now just sick of hearing about 2 extrememly wealthy families, having the most extravagant party that money can buy and it is being paid for - maybe not entirely but certainly in part - by a country that is virtually on its knees.

Just as a foot note. I wonder how many pot holes there will be in the road that the carriage will be taking??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter