Royal Plaza - Downtown Disney

kellyf2626

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

DH and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Royal Plaza at DTD. We checked in late Tuesday (the 15th) around midnight, and checked out Sunday the 20th around 5am. Both check-in and check-out went extremely smooth - everyone we met at the front desk was very accomodating throughout our stay. They even printed our SW boarding passes while we were at the park during our last day, and had them waiting for us when we returned late that night. Nice job front desk!! :thumbsup2 Overall the resort was nice. We had booked through hotels.com for a rate of $79 for a deluxe tower room. This price did not include the resort fee (which I believe was $8 or $9 per day).

The actual room was clean and tastfully decorated - although I expected it to be a bit bigger, since the website states they are the largest rooms and can accomodate a family of 5. We had 4 adults in this room, and it felt crowded. The beds were doubles, and while they were comfortable, they were small for 2 adults. The pull-out sofa was quite comfortable (and while I love my DH :love: , I did sleep on this pullout for 3 of the nights just so we could each have more room!) ;) One big negative about this resort was the set-up of the bathroom. While it had a large tub/shower, the bathroom contained the only mirror in the entire room. And the sink area is in the bathroom (for those of you that have stayed on Disney property, you will miss having the sinks and mirror separated from the toilet/shower....we did!). It was hard for 4 adults to get ready with only 1 mirror in the bathroom! I would say this was the biggest negative to the room.

The hotel is an easy walk to the Marketplace at DTD - but pretty long to PI. We never saw a bus stop at this resort during our entire stay...but we didn't wait for one either. We had a car, and opted to drive to the parks each day. I didn't realize how much closer the Grosvernor resort was to DTD - this one was actually the first one on the corner across from the Hilton. The Royal Plaza is the 3rd resort on the Hilton side of the street.

Overall, this resort was nice for the price we paid. We are used to staying on Disney property, so this was a very different visit for us. I really missed being immersed into Disney themeing! So, I would say that I would stay here again if I couldn't stay on-site. Also, I chose to stay in a Deluxe Tower Room. But, in retrospect, I wish I had chosen a lanai room (pool view room). These rooms had huge balconies with chairs, and if you were on the bottom floor, you could walk right out to the pool. Here are some other pros and cons:

Pros:
~nice, clean rooms
~comfortable (but not big!) beds
~friendly staff
~close access to the Marketplace
~price
~nice, continuous running AC...always nice and cold in the room!
~you could get packages shipped to the room from Disney property
~nice view from the room!

Cons:
~no Disney theming (I know...not necessarily a con for some ;) )
~not a great bathroom design
~small beds
~always a long wait at the elevators!
~no access to balcony (the door opened just a crack)
~no mirror in the room other than the bathroom
~very dim lighting in the bathroom

Here are some pics:

DSC01900.jpg

Lobby area

DSC01899.jpg

Disney store in the Lobby

DSC01895.jpg

Pool

DSC01824.jpg

Deluxe Tower Room (Rm 1117)

DSC01827.jpg

Deluxe Tower Room

DSC01828.jpg

Close-up of bed

DSC01840.jpg

Tub/Shower in Bathroom

DSC01831.jpg

Close-up of pullout bed/couch

I stayed there Friday and Saturday night. I was not impressed at all. I used the mousesavers discount. I booked 2 rooms and was upgraded to a deluxe tower room. It was a joke. I was on the second floor with a view of the roof. My balcony was a part of the roof with a rail around it. beyond my balcony was a wall and an air conditioner an exhaust fan and a skylight. The shower in my room didn't work. The light in the shower of my second room didn't work. It started raining on Friday night, causing the sattelite dish to lose signal. I got up Saturday morning and showered in the trickle of water. I spoke with someone at the front desk at 7:30 AM and told her about both of my showers. When I returned 13 hours later the showers were not fixed. I called down again and they sent someone right up. It was a hassle having to wait before I could take a decent shower after being out in the heat all day. The elevators were very worn and very creeky. I would not stay there again.

It stinks that you had a bad experience there...I have heard nothing but good things about the Royal Plaza since their complete renovation in Dec '05.

As bad as your customer service experience was, you really can't beat $70-80 a night a few blocks from Downtown Disney :thumbsup2

we stayed here on our first trip to disney in 2002 and loved it! Our second trip we tried the Grosvener and hated it. This time we are trying All Star Movies. I never felt we were out of disney though. In both hotels we had a nice veiw of downtown disney. The buses at these Hotels run every 20 min and are reliable to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter