RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So crazy me is trying to track this nonsense. Today 12/10 would've been the worst day so far in terms of groups reached.

View attachment 458026
Shouldn’t you be studying? 😂

The Thrill-data guy had that info a few hours ago. You can also make a Custom Graph on their website. And we still don’t know the actual size of a current BG.

A theory I've cooked up about Sunday's debacle by observing this thread:

It seems clear after today that the general policy for opening Hollywood Studios on non-EMH days is 6:30 AM or when the line at the tapstyles reaches the security checkpoint, whichever happens first.

(As a quick editorial, I think this is a bad move. Disney should be trying to push the opening closer to its posted time, not further. The longer they keep letting the crowds open the park at 6:30, the more people will learn about the practice, and the harder it will be to open on time. They really ought to do it the other way around: whichever of those two scenarios occurs last.)

I think the plan for EMH day was to give EMH guests a 15 minute head start on Boarding Passes (thus the 7:45 opening they initially announced) and then to release everyone in the normal entry queue into the park. But at some point, they moved up the regular park openings to 8 AM for the next week, so they had to bump EMH even earlier to accommodate the on-site guests. The real break in communication though happened on Sunday morning. The regular guests were stacking up in the entrance to the point where they were going to reach the security checkpoint well before the 8 AM open time, which - as mentioned above - would prompt them to open the gates. So now the park was going to open earlier than 8, which means the Virtual Queue would have to open earlier than 7:45. Only the decision to do the former did not reach the people in charge of maintaining the latter in time to give EMH guests their 15 minute window. It was, at best, a 5 minute one that only benefitted the guests feverishly checking their phones. To make matters worse, as the regular guests stacked up on the entrance the park staff carried out the standard procedure of admitting them through the tapstyles and into the front section of the park proper - meaning the first few hundred or so people in the regular line were now eligible for the same Virtual Queue headstart as the EMH guests.

As for what happened after the VQ opened, I'm not sure. BGs went in a quarter of their usual time, which would suggest that 4 times as many people were in the park as on prior days (which I suppose could have been possible if only because Disney actually advertised the hours they were letting people in). But basically, the off-site crowd waiting to enter the park at 8 was so large that it preempted any attempt to give on-site guests an advantage. The only reason I can think of for why Disney didn't expand the VQ to open at 6 AM is that they thought EMH guests would take all the Boarding Groups before the regular guests arrived, which I don't think holds water. It seems like BG1-10 are reserved for EMH guests in the first place. But it still begs the question: Why did they open at 6 at all if the party was never going to start until after 7?

This was upon arrival at 4:32 am. Since then they have spread us out amongst a few security lines. We are #13 and #14 in our current security line. Just waiting for them to start checking bags and get us moving. This will be our first time to ride (hopefully!!). So excited! 😁

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 458034
This was upon arrival at 4:32 am. Since then they have spread us out amongst a few security lines. We are #13 and #14 in our current security line. Just waiting for them to start checking bags and get us moving. This will be our first time to ride (hopefully!!). So excited! 😁
Did you drive over or Lyft/Uber? Have a wonderful time!! (Warm out? Not seeing so much cold weather gear...)

On our way from Art of Animation using Lyft. Called for it at 4:52am, 1st driver declined after a minute, 2nd driver got to the lobby at 5:00am.
Dropped off at 5:06am, right near the security check. Was in line a couple minutes later.

Got up at 4am. Fit the double BOB stroller in the back. Figured out we could fit my daughter's booster seat in the bottom of the stroller.

Had so much trouble sleeping last night from the excitement.
Pics of the bag line and no bag line at 5:07am.

It's pretty warm out here. Ground is wet.

We're about 10-12 back in our security line

Attachments

• IMG_20191211_050750.jpg
    IMG_20191211_050750.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20191211_050734.jpg
    IMG_20191211_050734.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter