Rope drop strategies

luvsTink

DIS Veteran
So, for those that have been since FP+, did the new system change your rope drop strategy?

Anne

We still got to the park before rope drop, went in and did everything we could. We had our fp plus set up for the afternoon when lines were really long! Worked out perfectly! And we went during Christmas and New Years! But we like the mornings in the parks, rope drop is a must for us! :)

Habits are hard to break....

We were there for RD... considered any rides we did when first got there.. "extras".. really liked not having to worry about FP selections.. just touch your MB.. and stroll on in..

I am torn. We are rope drop people. Having said that, I booked our A&E meet at 9:10 in the morning. Booked DH and DS a ride on Splash for 9:15 in the morning. Then we meet up at 7DMT at 11:30 to ride. This is our first day at MK. I HATED to book them that early, but, meeting A&E is must do for DD and me. I am hoping to do some other meets in FL while we wait for the boys to catch up. Then we will go from there.

Our 2nd day at MK, I booked the mountains in the afternoon.

I have not been since FP, but we're going in 29 days! I have looked over my plans and FP selections a thousand times...I think I am sticking with what I have: RD 3 days and FP's a bit later. I just feel like that first hour or so, even with a lot of people rope dropping and possibly a lot of people scheduling early FP's, is still a precious time. The earliest time I scheduled was 10:00, and may not use those until closer to 11 depending on what else we get done. We have 2 mornings and one evening in MK and that should be plenty to get everything done!

Need some people to chime in here! I need some ideas.

Your normal strategy may have changed some but after the A&E and Splash, you could link up somewhere in between (HM) or say BTMRR and do it. Maybe even Peter Pan. With rumors of POTC and Jungle Cruise really backing up in the afternoon you could do them.
Now if your goal is to do the morning separate, after the initial FPs, you and DD could do some of the FL attractions while DH and DS do attractions around Splash. Then after SDMT do some things as a family.
The one without a FP early that I would avoid is ETWB. It backs up a good bit in the morning. Get a later FP for it with DD. Of course I have not really noticed if A&E has changed the morning long waits for it.
I hope this helps.

I have not been since FP, but we're going in 29 days! I have looked over my plans and FP selections a thousand times...I think I am sticking with what I have: RD 3 days and FP's a bit later. I just feel like that first hour or so, even with a lot of people rope dropping and possibly a lot of people scheduling early FP's, is still a precious time. The earliest time I scheduled was 10:00, and may not use those until closer to 11 depending on what else we get done. We have 2 mornings and one evening in MK and that should be plenty to get everything done!

I have pretty much the same strategy and am 35 days out. We usually RD, break in the afternoon, and return after dinner. Most of our FPs are in the 10 am- 1 pm range. Then hoping to get some extras later on when we return or hop to another park. Our RD plan is to head to BTMRR and Splash before the 10-11 FP window for 7DMT.

I have pretty much the same strategy and am 35 days out. We usually RD, break in the afternoon, and return after dinner. Most of our FPs are in the 10 am- 1 pm range. Then hoping to get some extras later on when we return or hop to another park. Our RD plan is to head to BTMRR and Splash before the 10-11 FP window for 7DMT.

For MK, from all I have read this plan definitely works. The only exception I have seen would be a FP+ for SDMT or A&E early. As of today I would take the first FP+ time giving to me for those 2 attractions and plan the rest of the day around them. Another words if the 1st option for SDMT was 9-10, I would take it versus trying to change and find no other time.
But anyway for MK, what I have read is you can use your 3 before 3 in the afternoon and still get a good one for the evening. Will that apply on Christmas week? Probably not. Of course if going on Christmas you probably want to plan a little different anyway.

Our new stategy is to get there about 9:10, after the crowds have entered and started disbursing through the park. No having to stand around in lines or mobs before 9.

It was nice beginning our days knowing that we had already secured 3 FP+ selections but it didn't change our RD lovin' hearts! I love that during those first 60-90 minutes after park opening we're able to ride the headliners and our favorite attractions with minimal waits and it makes our day less stressful because not only were we able to do them once, chances are good that I have them booked for FP+ later in the morning/early afternoon.

For MK, from all I have read this plan definitely works. The only exception I have seen would be a FP+ for SDMT or A&E early. As of today I would take the first FP+ time giving to me for those 2 attractions and plan the rest of the day around them. Another words if the 1st option for SDMT was 9-10, I would take it versus trying to change and find no other time. But anyway for MK, what I have read is you can use your 3 before 3 in the afternoon and still get a good one for the evening. Will that apply on Christmas week? Probably not. Of course if going on Christmas you probably want to plan a little different anyway.

I already have both of those FP in my 10-1 set. Mine Train is actually there both days. A&E is one day, ETWB is the other. I had to reserve for a group of 18 so I have tried to be on top of things! ;). 4th of July time is crazy enough- can't imagine trying to do this at Christmas! We usually do summer, and our plan is typically RD, break, head back out. I don't see compelling arguments to change that- so far, anyway. Guess we'll see how it goes in reality next month!

I'm obsessed with making RD! We went in April and did it every morning. Our fastpass times were either in the afternoon or evening (this was before you could get more fastpasses once you used your first 3). I still think its crucial to make RD especially if you want to ride headliners multiple times.

Anne/luvsTink:
When are you going? Sorry if I missed it. Anyhow, we are going in June. We used to go off season, so changed our strategy some for June and heat but there is one day that we are staying in MK for the new afternoon parade and that day will look similar to our off season strategy. I can report back if our trip is before yours - let me know.
We are RD people and worry how FP+ may change the ease of touring in the am; however we will be testing it soon. Off season and parade day we are staying in the park until we are finished in the afternoon. Our FP+s for parade day start 10-11 to occupy us until it's time to line up for the parade. We will tour in SB lines until first FP+ - frighteningly, this will include a RD attempt at SDMT b/c our dates in MK changed after FP+ were gone. Other days, because of heat and crowds; we will do RD until the lines are longer than we like and/or we are too hot, and then we will go to resort until our early evening FP+.
I am really hoping to love FP+ but am worried about SB lines being worse in am due to FP+ - time will tell.

Just had to ask, you mention going back to your resort for a break & returning after dinner however I have also read warnings of parks being at capacity?.....Has this happened to anyone during Christmas week?

I have not been during Christmas week, though I have also heard that parks can close to capacity at that time. We usually go in June/July, which is crowded but not closed (except possibly MK on the 4th?). For us in the summer, when the parks are open later, this usually works well.

Linda, we will be in "the world" from late in June 16 to evening of the 21st...,you?

Anne

I have not been during Christmas week, though I have also heard that parks can close to capacity at that time. We usually go in June/July, which is crowded but not closed (except possibly MK on the 4th?). For us in the summer, when the parks are open later, this usually works well.

Thanks for clarifying, when you visit the world use to be the time frame my family use to visit...(then our daughter graduated)..so I know what you mean about the 4th....it only took us 1 time to make that mistake....Than we started to spend the 4th at our resort, and once I timed it perfectly to eat at Ohanas ,,,we had a front row seat for the fireworks....Oh Disney Magic at it's best!

Thanks for clarifying, when you visit the world use to be the time frame my family use to visit...(then our daughter graduated)..so I know what you mean about the 4th....it only took us 1 time to make that mistake....Than we started to spend the 4th at our resort, and once I timed it perfectly to eat at Ohanas ,,,we had a front row seat for the fireworks....Oh Disney Magic at it's best!

From what I have heard, it can be as bad during Christmas week. The parks are open later then as well, though, so maybe that will help with the afternoon break? I also remember hearing that some of the first closing stages are for off-site people and then people without ADRs- so if you have an ADR you should be able to enter the park in the first couple stages?

We are headed back the week prior to the 4th. Leaving on the 3rd, though! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter