• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope Drop Questions and Info please?

Quick question on in-park breakfast strategy. I hope it is ok to post here since I am too new to start threads.
I am going to be at WDW April 15-19th (I know, not ideal planning) and had wrangled an 8:30 breakfast at Tusker House to help get us to Expedition Everest before the crowd, but now I have read and even seen videos where Animal Kingdom "rope drops" 30-45 minutes before the posted opening time. I don't want to be sitting at breakfast while the line builds up due to this early entry. Is there any way to tell when they will actually start admitting folks? or is it just too unpredictable and I am better off cancelling my breakfast reservation?

Quick question on in-park breakfast strategy. I hope it is ok to post here since I am too new to start threads.
I am going to be at WDW April 15-19th (I know, not ideal planning) and had wrangled an 8:30 breakfast at Tusker House to help get us to Expedition Everest before the crowd, but now I have read and even seen videos where Animal Kingdom "rope drops" 30-45 minutes before the posted opening time. I don't want to be sitting at breakfast while the line builds up due to this early entry. Is there any way to tell when they will actually start admitting folks? or is it just too unpredictable and I am better off cancelling my breakfast reservation?

That;s basically how rope drop works. They allow the crowds past the tapstiles into the parks about a half hour before the official opening, up to the "rope" - in AK you are let into Discovery Island a half hour before opening but wait at the rope (entrance to each country). Then about 15 minutes before official opening you are allowed into the land so that early arrivers can queue up for the big rides. an 8:30 breakfast isn't going to help too much unless you can finagle getting seated closer to 8. You'll already be behind the "rope" but you'd have to be finished with breakfast by 8:45 to be ahead of the RD crowd.

The biggest "concern" is that there is a "golden hour" time period (I use term hour loosely here) where the vast majority of us rope droppers are in line for FoP. The biggest flow of people will be concentrated in Pandora when rope drop occurs. Once FoP and NRJ have been ridden, then the crowd disperses out into the rest of the park. I would put it this way; if you are only doing Tusker for a leg up on EE, you don't need to do that. If you show up at park open, 5-10 min prior, EE will be an easy one to get one in the morning in that "golden hour." Also, just FYI, you can usually (not always, but usually) get a same day FP for EE as well, esp if you use up your other FP's earlier in the day.

There's no specific way to pin down exactly when they will start actually running FoP, but it is before official park open on most days. I've never actually ate at Tusker, so I can't help there as far as timing. Others should be able to give more detail on if you could get seated early, and how long it takes to eat.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

For clarity, I DO want to do the character breakfast with my kids, and I already have FP+ for KRR(11), KS(12) and FoP (6PM). I am hoping to get to the front of the line for EE so I can also hit NRJ before the line swells. (Maybe I should do NRJ first then EE, though.) I saw a video in which someone was finished riding FoP by 9:05 AM, so I am hoping I can do as well on EE (or NRJ) and get on the other one without exorbitant wait time.

Crowds are supposed to be very heavy that week, so I am concerned that the golden hour won't hold up or that they will let people in much earlier than opening time due to expected crowd levels.

I won't be able to FP EE later in the day because my FoP FP is so late. Maybe I would be better off swapping my KS FP for EE and then hitting NRJ and KS in the morning 1, 2. (The more I consider it the better it seems.) But I am concerned that if the crowd is in the park already by the time I get out of breakfast, I will be spending more time at NRJ and hitting a backup for KS that puts my whole day out of whack. (I used touringplans to optimize my plan.)

OK. I have not tried to optimize a WDW trip for 25 years and maybe I am overthinking it and getting loopy.

Maybe I should plan to bail on Tuskers unless I can finagle a reservation at 8:15 or earlier. I have not told the kids about it and they know nothing about WDW so they won't miss it.

Personally I would do your TH breakfast later in the day. It would make a nice 10am brunch.

If u are not interested in the FoP craziness, then getting to the park 20-30 mins early should work well for you (personally if u are up, I would highly recommend coming 1.5hrs early and doing FoP rope drop. It's a bit crazy but totally doable.

Without FoP, head straight to NRJ and ride. Then go to EE which should still be an easy walk on and ride a few times.

If you add FoP, you should still be able to do the above.

Maybe I should plan to bail on Tuskers unless I can finagle a reservation at 8:15 or earlier. I have not told the kids about it and they know nothing about WDW so they won't miss it.
Prepark opening character meals are stressful if you are trying to get to RD. In my experience you’ll feel rushed to eat, may have to leave before seeing all the characters and it’s a big cost so you also be financially disappointed that you didn’t stay and enjoy your meal.
Also, if it’s a very busy week, there’s a chance they could change the opening hours to 8am so keep an eye on that.

Instead, consider changing Tusker House to 10am so you can take advantage of low crowds in morning. For 9am opening, get to the gates by 8:30. Even if the’ve already let people through, everyone will be running to FOP. Stroll calmly to Pandora, ride NRJ, you’ll be done before 9am, look around Pandora a bit then head to EE. You should be able to ride once, probably twice before a line builds. If your kids are old enough/brave enough then you can consider using single rider line. Then hit late breakfast/brunch at 10am and enjoy relaxing meal before your FP+

Jumping in with a RD related question for AK.

Park opens at 9, we have FP at 9:05 for NRJ. We plan on arriving at AK around 8:30/8:45 and we are not going on FoP. We are not trying to RD another attraction (want to use FP as early as I can), so we were going to head right to Pandora and start with NRJ (realizing we will be behind the RD crowd).

Does it really make sense to head right to Pandora to use NRJ FP, or will we just be stuck behind a huge RD crowd getting into Pandora? Are they still letting the RD crowd in a little early?

Yeah, after reading the details I just don't think you will have enough time to really enjoy Tusker... in short you can either go to Tusker and have a leisurely breakfast, or cancel Tusker and hit some rides in that early morning. As others have said you could do Tusker later in the day and be good.

Jumping in with a RD related question for AK.

Park opens at 9, we have FP at 9:05 for NRJ. We plan on arriving at AK around 8:30/8:45 and we are not going on FoP. We are not trying to RD another attraction (want to use FP as early as I can), so we were going to head right to Pandora and start with NRJ (realizing we will be behind the RD crowd).

Does it really make sense to head right to Pandora to use NRJ FP, or will we just be stuck behind a huge RD crowd getting into Pandora? Are they still letting the RD crowd in a little early?

Just hang back a little and follow behind the crowd into Pandora, and keep to your left... depending on your timing and how they line the FoP peeps up, it will be no problem hanging left to NRJ. You don't need to be in the initial mass of people at all. Yes, they do still tend to let the RD crowd in early.

Just hang back a little and follow behind the crowd into Pandora, and keep to your left... depending on your timing and how they line the FoP peeps up, it will be no problem hanging left to NRJ. You don't need to be in the initial mass of people at all. Yes, they do still tend to let the RD crowd in early.

Thanks! I'm guessing with an 8:45 park arrival, it's safe to bet that we'd be getting onto NRJ around 9:15, following the RD crowd and staying toward the left, or am I giving that too much time/ not enough time?

It does seem that I'm splitting hairs but we are only at AK for 2-3 hours and I want to be very realistic about whether or not we'll also be able to do 2-3 other things without jogging around (gorilla falls without rushing, KS with FP, and triceratop spin and 2yo LOVES Russell & Dug) plus a snack/ diaper break/ and lunch on the way out. I figure if we go on NRJ and spend some time in Pandora (there are things I REALLY want to photograph so I'd like to take my time there this visit) and we're done there by about 9:45 then I'm in good shape.

Thanks! I'm guessing with an 8:45 park arrival, it's safe to bet that we'd be getting onto NRJ around 9:15, following the RD crowd and staying toward the left, or am I giving that too much time/ not enough time?

I think you'll be on there sooner (I always head to FoP earlier, but from what I can see, you'll be fine as soon as you go over the Pandora bridge and go left, very few people will head to NRJ). If you stick with using your FP for it, you can "tap in" to NRJ at straight up 9. And, it's a short ride (around 4/5 min). If you get there earlier and the line is non-existent, you may just go through standby. Just check it out when you get there, and don't forget to tap into NRJ even if you don't use the FP to ride so it "clears" your FP.

I think you'll be on there sooner (I always head to FoP earlier, but from what I can see, you'll be fine as soon as you go over the Pandora bridge and go left, very few people will head to NRJ). If you stick with using your FP for it, you can "tap in" to NRJ at straight up 9. And, it's a short ride (around 4/5 min). If you get there earlier and the line is non-existent, you may just go through standby. Just check it out when you get there, and don't forget to tap into NRJ even if you don't use the FP to ride so it "clears" your FP.

Perfect! I'm considering an alternate plan- to go to Triceratop Spin and meet Russell & Dug first. Not exactly headliners, but my 2 yo thinks otherwise and this might be a good time to just get those done, and then head to Navi (for around 9:30/ 9:45) and use FP, spend some time in Pandora, and then head to KS for FP, then Gorilla Falls.

This was a super helpful thread to find. I am trying to figure out now what is the point of open hour of rope drop is 30 minutes or more early? I’m I just missing something. I totally plan on being early but the how early question still is going through my head! Help anyone?

This was a super helpful thread to find. I am trying to figure out now what is the point of open hour of rope drop is 30 minutes or more early? I’m I just missing something. I totally plan on being early but the how early question still is going through my head! Help anyone?

I think mome-rath’s post on the first page was pretty comprehensive, but basically the que moves forward deeper into the parks earlier and earlier.
For example, I showed up at AK 20 minutes before posted opening last visit and thought I made it to rope drop, but by the time I quickly walked all the way to pandora there was a 2 hour wait time listed for FoP.
Sounds like 1hr+ is needed for AK.
Epcot we did and 1/2 hour was fine, first on test track from front gate.
Thread makes it sound like 45 for MK.
DHS depends on pre or post GE maybe? Trying to RD DHS in a week so we will see.

As happypaws said above, it depends on which park you are wanting to rope drop as to how early you get there. If you are wondering why you should rope drop, or why Disney opens earlier than the posted time, that's a different question. When FoP turned out so popular Disney apparently tried to help the crowd issue by going ahead and letting people in the park and then gather at the Pandora bridge, and then as soon as the ride is up and running to go ahead and let people on. If not, there is a mob of people out front of AK. They always tend to let people in parks at least 15 min earlier than the posted wait time, with AK it's just usually a little earlier.

Getting to AK an hour early (especially on EMH day) allows me to go though security, the tapstiles, and to ride 2 tier 1 rides (FoP and NRJ) extremely early in the morning with no wait during actual park hours, and then I'm free to go do whatever else I want while the crowd is still heading to Pandora. Over at MK, if you rope drop there, you can grab a couple of the more popular ride without a wait, and that frees up a lot more of your day, EPCOT is the same way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter