• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Rope drop" at DHS - totally unprepared for the insanity

ghtx

DIS Veteran
I figured that with all of the research that I've been doing on the DIS, I would be prepared for the rope drop at DHS. Well, it was about ten times crazier than I was expecting it to be. We parked our car in the DHS lot at 8:30 (9am opening), walked about 5-10 minutes to the front, then waited about 5-10 minutes for security. We went to the end of a huge line for the ticket gates at 8:45, and they were already letting people in, but it took 15 fill minutes for us to get through. We got through the gates at just about exactly 9am, walked 5 minutes or so to TSMM. Standby was posted as 40 minutes already, but we waited about 20. We also picked up a FP beforehand.

Story short: RD was crazier than I thought. Get there early. I thought 30 minutes early would be plenty; I was wrong.

Related story: the next day I figured that I learned my lesson. We were headed to AM EMH for Epcot opening at 8. We left the hotel at 7, arrived at Epcot parking lot at 7:20. We were literally the second car in the lot, and we were literally the first people in queue at the rope. Sounds great, huh? Well, we had to wait for 40 minutes, and then they did drop the rope, they opened a different section of the rope than the one we were standing in front of. So we still ended up about 10 or so people deep in the queue for the gate, and got through about 8:05. Oh well. We were still able to walk on Soarin and M:S, so that's all good.

It's honestly nothing like it used to be. It used to be a stampede of crazy people. Now it's a safe trickle of people moving at a normal speed.

It's honestly nothing like it used to be. It used to be a stampede of crazy people. Now it's a safe trickle of people moving at a normal speed.

Yes, I agree that once we got through the gate there wasn't much of a stampede. I was just surprised by how many people there were outside of the gates and how long it took me to get through the gates.

people are crazy at hollywood rope drop-it's literally toy story mania:rotfl2::rotfl2:

what I don't understand is why they don't take the empty building next to TSM (it's on the way to backlot tour) and convert it into a second TSM area - sort of like 2 dumbos 2 TSM ride areas. ....?

We have APs and have been to WDW several times in the past few years. We were at DHS a week ago Sunday with our three boys, and things have certainly changed. In the past, we've always arrived about 1/2 hour before rope drop, been near the front of the rope line and had fun with our speed walk to TSM. Now, it's hard to know when to arrive. When we arrived before 8am for our H&V ADR, guests were already lined up at the regular gates for a 9am opening. Not a few guests - lots of guests - more guests than we usually see when we arrive 1/2 hour early during peak season!

I knew about the fuzzy opening time, but was surprised to see the extent of the domino effect on our plan. Under the old system, we would have been walking out of H&V at rope drop and been on TSM standby. Under the new system, guests had been entering for quite some time and by 9am "opening" the line for TSM was already longer than we were willing to wait. So we grabbed FPs for TSM, which had an impact on our plans for the rest of the day.

Next time, we'll have a different strategy from the start. I think it will involve FPs for TSM from the beginning with no attempt to ride standby. We'll plan to stick around long enough so that we can pull FPs for RnR and use them after lunch. Easy to adjust - just different.

what I don't understand is why they don't take the empty building next to TSM (it's on the way to backlot tour) and convert it into a second TSM area - sort of like 2 dumbos 2 TSM ride areas. ....?

what a jolly good idea-i think you should put this forward to disney! :)

Yes, I agree that once we got through the gate there wasn't much of a stampede. I was just surprised by how many people there were outside of the gates and how long it took me to get through the gates.

If you can arrive early enough to get close to the front of a line behind a turnstyle, it makes all the difference in the world.

Last time, we arrived a couple of minutes after 8 and were the first party behind our turnstyle. When they let us through (around 8:45ish), we very casually walked over to TSM, got FPs, and then rode standby with virtually no wait.

Then we did R&RC with maybe a 5 minute wait, TOT with maybe a 7-8 minute wait, R&RC single rider with a 5-6 minute wait, and then re-rode TSM using the FPs. All by 10 am.

I like the new procedure because it eliminates the stampede to TSM. Now, as long as I get to the park early enough, I don't have to choose between getting a TSM FP or riding standby. I can do both (without the stampede).

One tip: At RD you may want to disregard the posted wait time for TSM as I believe they might overstate them to thin the crowds.

When my DD and I were there in August the posted wait time at 8:40am (during EMH) was 90 mins! Since it had been a last minute decision to ride TSM our final day and her one 'must ride' ride, I decided we'd wait it out. We were on our first ride 12 mins later and the 2nd only waited 23 mins. Within 45 mins we'd waited twice and ridden twice!

Another tip is to break your group into sets of 1 and 2 if you're willing. We often found that our little group of 2 rode much faster than those we'd been waiting in line with with more people in their groups. Only 2 can sit together anyway so it really doesn't matter once you're on the ride.

Just my .02

One other hint, if you do arrive a little late go all the way to the right turnstiles. They are marked as Cast Member guests but they open them up just like the rest of the turnstiles at opening which we've come to find out is right at 8:45 on a no early park entry day.

Good luck!!!

another tip. Avoid rope drop at all cost. LOL. We go the last week in August, we get to HS about 30 minutes after rope drop, go to tsm grab a fast pass without the ridiculous line, get in the stnadby line which usually says 60 minutes and usually ends up being 30 minutes from entering to getting into ride.

no pain, no hassle.

The CMs really have a great handle on this and they will not let people walk in front of other people that were already there nor will they let people walk ahead of them until you get to TSM.

Back in August, I got to each park about an hour before posted opening time, and was near the front of a turnstile line each time. HS was definitely the craziest, in my experience. Not that it was a stampede, but just the sheer number of people going in the same direction.

bytheblood said:
The CMs really have a great handle on this and they will not let people walk in front of other people that were already there nor will they let people walk ahead of them until you get to TSM.

I haven't done RD in a long time, so I'm not sure I understand what your saying?

If you can arrive early enough to get close to the front of a line behind a turnstyle, it makes all the difference in the world.

Last time, we arrived a couple of minutes after 8 and were the first party behind our turnstyle. When they let us through (around 8:45ish), we very casually walked over to TSM, got FPs, and then rode standby with virtually no wait.

Then we did R&RC with maybe a 5 minute wait, TOT with maybe a 7-8 minute wait, R&RC single rider with a 5-6 minute wait, and then re-rode TSM using the FPs. All by 10 am.

I totally agree with this and had a similar experience.::yes::::yes::::yes::

another tip. Avoid rope drop at all cost. LOL. We go the last week in August, we get to HS about 30 minutes after rope drop, go to tsm grab a fast pass without the ridiculous line, get in the stnadby line which usually says 60 minutes and usually ends up being 30 minutes from entering to getting into ride.

no pain, no hassle.

aww Rope Drop at MK is on my to do list for next trip! I think it's something special to do once every few trips or once a trip but probably not daily unless you have early ADR's!

we've never been to HS.... but we have an ADR at Cape May at 9:55 and plan on taking the boat to DHS afterward. Any chance of still getting a FP for TSM when we arrive (close to noon)? Should we head there immediately upon entering the park? Thanks!

I agree its worth doing - but you did still sort of have to wait - but instead of at TSM it was at the turnstile for 45 minutes

we've never been to HS.... but we have an ADR at Cape May at 9:55 and plan on taking the boat to DHS afterward. Any chance of still getting a FP for TSM when we arrive (close to noon)? Should we head there immediately upon entering the park? Thanks!

We were there in February and got to HS shortly after it opened. Getting through the turnstiles was bonkers and by the time we got back to the FP machines for TSM, they were already for 6:30 that night. We had to totally reconfigure my original plan for the day, but it was worth it. It is so fun!

It's crazy and we did it once - never again! We always arrive at 9:30am as we don't care about TSM or the Jedi Training so we can skip the madness :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter