Room Upgrade Question

Jacob'sMom

Earning My Ears
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a free upgrade to the club level at check in? I know, wishful thinking:laughing:

Thanks!

I think I have seen posts where it has happened, but I think it is rare.

Lets see. Eighteen stays at the Poly. One stay at Contemporary. One stay at WL. Four stays at CBR. Not once were we every upgraded to anything. Not even lagoon view over garden view. Don't get your hopes up.

On two different occasions my family and I have been upgraded within the Club Level rooms.

In May 2000 we had a reservation for a standard room on the Atrium Club Level floor at the Contemporary and at the time it was only light Club Level, which means we only got the continental breakfast and afternoon snacks. So there was no hot hors d'ouvres, desserts and cordials. Anyway when we checked-in the Cast Member said we got upgraded to a standard room on the Tower Club Level which was full Club Level service.

In December 2007 we had a reservation for a Garden View - Club Level room at the Polynesian and a few days before we were to arrive we got a brand new confirmation saying we got upgraded to a Lagon View - Club Level room.

I hesitate to even post this because it is RARE. We've been upgraded three times in 13 trips.

First time January 2007 - we were upgraded from Poly gv to Poly TPV. We were celebrating DH's 50th birthday and he was running the marathon. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Second time - July 2008 - We tried to book YC or BC waterview for our Grand Gathering. All that was available to an AP discount was standard view. At check in we were upgraded to CL. We were celebraing my mom's 80th birthday. Once again I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Third time - October 2008 - Upgraded from YC standard view to YC CL. Just lucky.

But we also had the worse view room of all the rooms at the Grand Floridian in February, and once had a horrible gv room at the Poly (view completely blocked by an overgrown tree). So I guess it all evens out!

The first was at the Beach club, upgraded from garden view to CL when they were doing refurb a few years ago, but the view was a rooftop. The second was an upgrade to MK view in 2006, king bed, at the GF from a garden view -that was incredible. Not concierge, but better that the view of a roof. And last spring we got upgraded to one of the turret rooms in the GF main lodge with concierge from gareden view. You could have put several families in that room, but again it faced the parking lot. So, while the upgrades to CL were nice, I never asked for them, they were always accidental. One thing to note, I always arrived VERY late in the evening in all cases. Not sure if that has something to do with it, or it was just my charming self!:)
This time, I didn;t leave it to chance and booked TPV at the Poly for Sep.
Good Luck!

Just returned last night from our week stay at the Beach Club. We reserved standard view. We were upgraded to a waterview room which was very nice. I asked if concierge was available and was told that it was for $157 more per night. I asked the manager if we could upgrade for a reduced amount (I've done this before at other non-disney hotels). She said no. According to her, they won't upgrade to concierge during their busy seasons. We were very happy with our waterview room and appreciated the lovely view.

Thanks all for your responses! This is our 2nd stay at WL (our 2nd stay at a WDW resort). The first time we stayed, which was in March before the Spring Break season, we were upgraded from Standard to Woodsview (I think), it faced the villas and the small pool. Just hoping our luck is the same this time! Looks like it happens but very rarely. At least there is a glimmer of hope. I am way to shy to ask for a free upgrade so I will just be extra nice to the CM that checks us in.::laughing:

Lets see. Eighteen stays at the Poly. One stay at Contemporary. One stay at WL. Four stays at CBR. Not once were we every upgraded to anything. Not even lagoon view over garden view. Don't get your hopes up.

This post made me laugh, as it is our experience as well! No upgrades in 19 trips! Some people claim that you are more likely to get an upgrade if you make no requests - the times that I've forgotten to put in a request, we were assigned the least desirable spot at the resort. :laughing:

I agree, upgrades happen very rarely. Don't plan on it, book the category that you want and/or can afford, and plan to get exactly what you booked. If pixie dust is sprinkled your way, it's a nice surprise.

This post made me laugh, as it is our experience as well! No upgrades in 19 trips! Some people claim that you are more likely to get an upgrade if you make no requests - the times that I've forgotten to put in a request, we were assigned the least desirable spot at the resort. :laughing:

I agree, upgrades happen very rarely. Don't plan on it, book the category that you want and/or can afford, and plan to get exactly what you booked. If pixie dust is sprinkled your way, it's a nice surprise.

Hm. That got me thinking. Totally unscientific, but my results are interesting.

1st reservation - requests made, requests met - no upgrade (DL).
2nd reservation - requests made, requests met - no upgrade (AKL).
3rd reservation - no requests, upgrade (WL - standard to courtyard).
4th reservation - requests made, requests met - no upgrade (Poly).
5th reservation - no requests, upgrade (WL - standard to woods).
6th reservation - no requests, upgrade (ASSp - standard to preferred).
7th reservation - no requests, upgrade (BC - standard to CL).
8th reservation - no requests, upgrade (BC - standard to WV).

99% of the time upgrades are done prior to check-in. Most front desk clerks do not have the authority to upgrade, but they must speak with the room assigners and have them do it. Upgrades usually happen due to overbooking issues/engineering problems/special requests that must be met. It's rarely because the cast member thinks you are pleasant.

The best way to ask for an upgrade at check-in is to say, "How much more would xx room cost?" Then it doesn't make you look cheap and they may even offer it for free.

99% of the time upgrades are done prior to check-in.
That's a very good point because if a guest is to get an upgrade someone will already put it in the computer system and when the Cast Member enters that guests name while they check-in, a message will come up on the screen saying they are upgraded.

I've been upgraded twice
Once from standard view at Beach Club to concierge and once at CSR from standard to waterview king room. :goodvibes

We had standard room at AKL and they upgraded us to a beautiful savannah view room in early December. What a shock!! It was a surprise birthday celebration and we flew in for the weekend from northeast, they gave me a pin and were very nice at check in!!

I have been downgraded at POR as they did not have the water view room we paid for. They apologized and gave me my $$ back and it made no difference to me, I no longer even book water view rooms.

I was once upgraded at PC from standard to preferred...whoopie!;)

Looking for some YC pixie dust next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter