ROFR Thread July to Sept 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it would be incredibly unfair to give Dec UY only 1 month to use their points. If anything dues should be prorated in the last year to reflect actual time available to use them, though I would guess most people would just want to be able to go to their home resort one last time.
It really will be interesting to see how DVC transitions the 2042 resorts. If they allow 100% borrowing of the 2041 points into 2040 then it would potentially create a huge glut of points compressed into a very tight window to use. Imagine the booking pressures that will create!

I wonder if they’d allow someone to borrow points in the prior to final year. If so it’s possible someone would have used all their points but still owe dues the following year. Disney would have no collateral if dues were not paid in the last contract year.
Similarly, with an 11 month booking window, if someone can't make a reservation when they want in the final year, can they just skip paying the dues and forfeit their last year of points? I have a feeling that things are going to be messy in 2041/2042, especially with the number of resorts that expire Jan 31, 2042.

Similarly, with an 11 month booking window, if someone can't make a reservation when they want in the final year, can they just skip paying the dues and forfeit their last year of points? I have a feeling that things are going to be messy in 2041/2042, especially with the number of resorts that expire Jan 31, 2042.
It would be easier for DVC to buy up all remaining valid points for x$ minus the dues owed - They would avoid lots of grief for a tiny amount on money and get to reissue those points on 2/1/2024

It would be easier for DVC to buy up all remaining valid points for x$ minus the dues owed - They would avoid lots of grief for a tiny amount on money and get to reissue those points on 2/1/2024
Or use those points to support cash reservations in the last year. Whatever happens, it'll be fascinating to see unfold.

Seems like it would be incredibly unfair to give Dec UY only 1 month to use their points. If anything dues should be prorated in the last year to reflect actual time available to use them, though I would guess most people would just want to be able to go to their home resort one last time.

Dues are based on calendar year, not UY, so the amount will be the same because it will cover operations until they close.

It is why we could see the banking and borrowing suspended the last few years.

Or use those points to support cash reservations in the last year. Whatever happens, it'll be fascinating to see unfold.

Points go with rooms so if an owner can’t use them because there are no rooms, it won’t do any good.

Id be surprised to see DVD due anything, and it will be interesting

Last edited:
Points go with rooms so if an owner can’t use them because there are no rooms, it won’t do any good.

I thought if DVC owned the points then they could use them to support cash reservations? I could be wrong, however.

Dues are based on calendar year, not UY, so the amount will be the same because it will cover operations until they close.

It is why we could see the banking and borrowing suspended the last few years.
I know that they are based on calendar year. But in a normal year it doesn’t matter because everyone gets the same opportunity to book, just at different times. But for that last year the December 2041 points will only be “valid” for 2 months, whereas the February ones will be valid for 12 (assuming everything ends on January 31, 2042). That isn’t fair and should be dealt with in an equitable manner.

Full disclosure we actually own more Feb than Dec BC and our OKW are SAP anyway.

I thought if DVC owned the points then they could use them to support cash reservations? I could be wrong, however.

But there still need to be rooms to book to offer for cash. It makes no sense for DVD to buy points from anyone when all rooms are belong to them when the resort ends.

I am sure by then they will have plenty of points from other places to not worry.

I know that they are based on calendar year. But in a normal year it doesn’t matter because everyone gets the same opportunity to book, just at different times. But for that last year the December 2041 points will only be “valid” for 2 months, whereas the February ones will be valid for 12 (assuming everything ends on January 31, 2042). That isn’t fair and should be dealt with in an equitable manner.

Full disclosure we actually own more Feb than Dec BC and our OKW are SAP anyway.

It’s not about the points,though, but rather operation of the resort, so as an owner of the resort, you are responsible for your share of the resort for the year.

Points are simply a way to account for your share. So, yes, those of us with Dec UY won’t have as long to use our 2041 points as other UYs.

Its part of what we bought so I don’t see it as unfair..

Some of those things had nothing to do with DVC in Terms of ending.

Agreed...but the speed of the leader determines the pace of the pack. My point was, Disney as an entity (and DVC too) doesn't always put their brand over profitability.

But there still need to be rooms to book to offer for cash. It makes no sense for DVD to buy points from anyone when all rooms are belong to them when the resort ends.

I am sure by then they will have plenty of points from other places to not worry.
I never claimed that it'd make sense for DVC to do that :)

I was just commenting on the PP who suggested that they buy up all the excess points as a gesture to avoid grief. I honestly believe that they won't do anything, other than letting the points expire on January 31, 2042, as stated in all of those contracts.

It'll be interesting.

Definitely doesn’t seem fair. But those Dec UY owners can still book at other resorts maybe? Just because the resort terminates doesn’t mean the contracts do? I don’t know. DVC apocalypse is so fascinating

Definitely doesn’t seem fair. But those Dec UY owners can still book at other resorts maybe? Just because the resort terminates doesn’t mean the contracts do? I don’t know. DVC apocalypse is so fascinating

You can not trade into other resorts if your resort no longer exists. So, Dec 2041 UY points will be good until January 31st, 2042.

It is why when a resort opens, your points cant be used until the rooms they are deeded to are available for stays.

Its not like people will be stuck waiting until Dec to book...they will be able to use them at their home resort 11 months in advance, so there should be rooms available to use during those two months since people with earlier UYs May decide to use them earlier in the year…which means enough rooms left for those with Dec UY.

If the points terminate on 1/31 I don’t think there’s any way around it. Plus competition for 7m availability will be fierce.

We can probably assume that however the 2042 resorts end, 33% of the people here will be fine with it, 33% won't really care one way or the other, 33% will hate it, and the last 1% won't even know that it happened. :)

To tie this theme back to the thread, I wonder what impact "how" DVC effectively "ends" the 2042 resorts will have on the resale prices of the other resorts. Especially Saratoga Springs and AKL.

I'm so sorry but can someone share what DVD is? I know what DVC stands for but not DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter