Road trip from Charleston, SC to Orlando - best route?

Tiana4

Earning My Ears
Hi there! We just moved from CT to SC and will be visiting WDW next month. We've always flown when in CT, so this is new for us! We will be making the trek on Friday, December 9th. I'm wondering what is the preferred route to take....I'm assuming 95?

Also, what would be the best time to leave that AM? Unfortunately, we can't leave in the early wee hours due to work the evening before. We would like to hit the road after rush hour that Friday. Would an 8am start time be okay as far as traffic goes?

Any recommendations for a stopping point 1/2 way for lunch/fuel/bathrooms?

How much should I bring for tolls?

Anything else I should plan for? Other than our move down to SC, this will be our 1st lengthy car trip, I'm a tad nervous!

TIA :)

I would just set my GPS and follow it the first time down but yes I'm assuming 95 is going to be your best bet. I'm not sure when you get on the turnpike but when I drive down from Georgia and get on I spend about $4 each way in tolls. I just keep a bag in my car at all times with change that comes from when my honey empties his pockets at night. I just checked mapquest and it looks like it only takes about 6 1/2 hours driving time, which is less time than it takes me coming from Athens, GA. I only stop for gas once on the way down and stop once at a rest stop to go potty. I just bring what we call driving snacks with us and bottled water. We leave around 6 am and usually get there between 2:30 and 3:30 according to traffic and how long our stops are, two adults.

95 for sure. But since you'll be travelling during the day, take the Jax bypass (295 East) to avoid traffic there. I also recommend taking the 417 from Sanford to Osceola Parkway to avoid the traffic mess on I 4 through Orlando. Tolls were a bit less than $8 when we drove it last week. Totally worth it. You can check out the route on Google maps to program your GPS.

You have some choices, but in general the best route is Highway 17 to I95 to I4.

First, it depends on where you are in Charleston. I would pick up 17 south in West Ashley (via I526 from East Cooper or North Area.) The only reason to NOT use 17 is if you are starting out near Summerville or beyond. From the 17/526 intersection it is approx 60 miles to 95.

Second, the first real traffic area is Jax. Consider taking 295 east around Jax depending on time of day. We never take 295 if hitting Jax before rush hour (before 3.)

Third, once on I4 you have to decide to stay on it to WDW or take 417 (toll road.) I4 is so bad that 417 is the better option. This would be the only toll road from Charleston.

Timing: Leaving CHS around 8 is a good idea. With no traffic/stops you should hit Jax by noon. You could get into Orlando area before 230. Leaving later than 8 will put you in jeopardy of serious traffic near Orlando. If you don't make it out by 8 I would wait until 330 to leave.

We have made the trip in 5.5 hrs from East Cooper but that was under perfect conditions. 6 to 6.5 is more likely.

Best stop: plenty of options but we think Baymeadows Road (southern side of Jax on 95) is best. Every conceivable restaurant and a Publix. I believe it is exit 340 or 341.

You have some choices, but in general the best route is Highway 17 to I95 to I4.

First, it depends on where you are in Charleston. I would pick up 17 south in West Ashley (via I526 from East Cooper or North Area.) The only reason to NOT use 17 is if you are starting out near Summerville or beyond. From the 17/526 intersection it is approx 60 miles to 95.

Second, the first real traffic area is Jax. Consider taking 295 east around Jax depending on time of day. We never take 295 if hitting Jax before rush hour (before 3.)

Third, once on I4 you have to decide to stay on it to WDW or take 417 (toll road.) I4 is so bad that 417 is the better option. This would be the only toll road from Charleston.

Timing: Leaving CHS around 8 is a good idea. With no traffic/stops you should hit Jax by noon. You could get into Orlando area before 230. Leaving later than 8 will put you in jeopardy of serious traffic near Orlando. If you don't make it out by 8 I would wait until 330 to leave.

We have made the trip in 5.5 hrs from East Cooper but that was under perfect conditions. 6 to 6.5 is more likely.

Best stop: plenty of options but we think Baymeadows Road (southern side of Jax on 95) is best. Every conceivable restaurant and a Publix. I believe it is exit 340 or 341.

Thanks Sanchez! We are actually leaving from Summerville, we are more inland, closer to Ridgeville. Should we skip 17 then? If so, what's the alternative?

Thanks for your input

From Ridgeville I would take 78 toward St. George and pick up 95 there.

No sense in heading towards Charleston to pick up 17. Traffic would be awful on I26 at 8 a.m.

Have a good trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter