Road trip down the East Coast-1st timers

Honeystar120608

Mom, Photographer, Disney Lover, 100% Cannuck
We've always flown from NB to Orlando. This year we are entertaining the idea of making a road trip out of going down. I know the distance and the time it will take. (We have driven as far down as newark NJ with the kids a year and a half ago)

What I'm hoping to get is some ideas on what pit stops to make, what are must sees on the way down... we like funny little spots, historic, somewhere to stretch our legs. Anywhere fun, old, and exciting.

We like fun little shopping spots too. If there is somewhere better than Orlando outlets, we are all ears. we aren't HUGE shoppers, but love a little jaunt here and there.

we are driving from here to West Haven CT the first day, 2nd day-a 6 hour drive passing through NY, NJ... and making a stop to pop out just to say we've seen the White House. Then driving down to Florence NC for the night.

Then we are headed to Florida, but I really want to make this an educational trip for our 9 and 10 year old too. We've done DW 5 times, this trip I want to be more about small experiences, personal, or to visit places that they can visualize in their minds because they've been there (ie White house)

Any and all help is much appreciated. :)

Krista

Not sure the time it takes from N.B but when I drive in September with my gf me being the only driver. I can get just past Atlanta in one day then a short 7ish hours the next day. Seems kind if long to get there. I'm going from Toronto.

We are driving this year from Nova Scotia! We have three children, 5, 10 and 12. They travel well. We too, are interested in some educational and unique stops along the way. We will definitely stop and spend some time in Savanna, Georgia. We're hoping to tour an old plantation. Driving in May, so the weather shouldn't be a problem.

when are you driving down? we are near Moncton, NB ... we are thinking of driving down November/December... We've been to Disney tons of times but never at Christmas time to see the decorations!! excited!!!:yay:

when are you driving down? we are near Moncton, NB ... we are thinking of driving down November/December... We've been to Disney tons of times but never at Christmas time to see the decorations!! excited!!!:yay:
Hi! We are leaving on April 29th! Not long now! We've also been to Disney many times, but this is our first time driving! We have never gone during the Christmas season, but last year we did Halloween. The MNSSHP was awesome!!

Savannah or Charleston are interesting stops with all kinds of historical places to see. A boat trip out to explore Fort Sumpter in the harbour is fun if you have the time. Stop at the State Welcome center as you cross the state lines to get info and brochures.

Near DC, you can spend a couple of hours at Mount Vernon, George Washington's home.

Saint Augustine is also on your way. You can tour the Castillo or explore the Colonial Quarter.

Savannah or Charleston are interesting stops with all kinds of historical places to see. A boat trip out to explore Fort Sumpter in the harbour is fun if you have the time. Stop at the State Welcome center as you cross the state lines to get info and brochures.

Near DC, you can spend a couple of hours at Mount Vernon, George Washington's home.

Saint Augustine is also on your way. You can tour the Castillo or explore the Colonial Quarter.

I've heard Saint Augustine is a nice spot to stop. My step sister and her family stopped there last May. That's been on my mind. :)

Where are you driving from? We're in NB as well, leaving June 22. Depending on where you are leaving from, from the US border of Maine, you are looking at 26-27 hours of driving (26 down the 95, not accounting for traffic delays, construction etc...), or 27 hours down the 77/81 way through Penn/Virginia etc which bypasses all the major cities. We plan on bypassing the cities, as my MIL (who goes every year) says while it adds an hour, it's a much easier drive, and you'll likely save that hour anyways in delays/construction etc... Plus there's no tolls, compared the 95, which will cost you about $50 US each way. An awesome detour in Virginia is the Luray Caverns. We plan on checking them out on our way home (something fun to break up the drive once the anticipation is over).

Where are you driving from? We're in NB as well, leaving June 22. Depending on where you are leaving from, from the US border of Maine, you are looking at 26-27 hours of driving (26 down the 95, not accounting for traffic delays, construction etc...), or 27 hours down the 77/81 way through Penn/Virginia etc which bypasses all the major cities. We plan on bypassing the cities, as my MIL (who goes every year) says while it adds an hour, it's a much easier drive, and you'll likely save that hour anyways in delays/construction etc... Plus there's no tolls, compared the 95, which will cost you about $50 US each way. An awesome detour in Virginia is the Luray Caverns. We plan on checking them out on our way home (something fun to break up the drive once the anticipation is over).

I will definitely check out those Caverns on google! thanks! :)

This is probably the route we will take going down... https://goo.gl/maps/AD8LI

Ah, for that, the map is saying 33 hours, and I'd say that's accurate. You'll be about 3 hours from the border, so that bumps it up to about 29/30 hours right there, and then the coastal route really adds to it.

Where are you staying?

Ah, for that, the map is saying 33 hours, and I'd say that's accurate. You'll be about 3 hours from the border, so that bumps it up to about 29/30 hours right there, and then the coastal route really adds to it.

Where are you staying?
Yeah, going down will take longer, but I wanted to drive more on the coast and off of the major highways. Once down there we will be staying in a condo for a while. But going down we will be staying in Dover, DE and then Myrtle Beach, SC. Going back up I will map out a different route. I'd like the kids to see the White House. :)

Awesome suggestions!! Thank you!! Boat trip sounds great!!

We are driving this year from Nova Scotia! We have three children, 5, 10 and 12. They travel well. We too, are interested in some educational and unique stops along the way. We will definitely stop and spend some time in Savanna, Georgia. We're hoping to tour an old plantation. Driving in May, so the weather shouldn't be a problem.

We stopped in Jacksonville, St. Augustine. It was really nice there. We drove from Halifax, NS to NJ. Then we drove to Jacksonville. Stayed there for 3 days and then onto Orlando.

We stopped in Jacksonville, St. Augustine. It was really nice there. We drove from Halifax, NS to NJ. Then we drove to Jacksonville. Stayed there for 3 days and then onto Orlando.

That's great! I am looking at Salem MA right now since we are leaving Nov 30th. So, thought it'd be cool to wake up and be in Salem. Only trouble is that we basically only have an hour or so to explore, and it's first thing in the morning. So I'm not entirely sure what to do. Everything opens at 10 or 11 it seems and we have to be on the road. Hmmm...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter