• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Road Trip car picnic ideas

I forgot to say that with the bagels I hollow out the bottom a little then add the filling. With me it's all about keeping stuff from leaking down the front of my shirt. I already look pretty rough after ten hours on the road. I don't need tomato dribble too.

I forgot to say that with the bagels I hollow out the bottom a little then add the filling. With me it's all about keeping stuff from leaking down the front of my shirt. I already look pretty rough after ten hours on the road. I don't need tomato dribble too.

Great idea!

We road tripped from TX to Cali this summer for our DLR trip, and picnicked on the way down (fast food on the way back). First, that morning we left, my husband made up a bunch of breakfast burritos. Easy stuff. Eggs, cheese, and bacon. Sausage egg and cheese. Half and half. We wrapped each burrito in foil and put a brick (just like a red brick from a patio or your house) in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes to get it REALLY hot. When we took it out, we wrapped the brick in a tea towel and put it in a hot/cold soft cooler. We stacked the burritos on top of the brick and when we were ready for breakfast a couple of hours later, they were hot and fresh. We passed them out in the car and just ate in the car so we didn't have to stop.

For lunch, I made chicken salad with a rotisserie I picked up from Costco before we left. I put the salad in a zip lock bag. For the kids, we packed peanut butter and jelly. I didn't want the sandwiches to get soggy or squished, so we purchased a plastic bread keeper for camping (I think it was like $10) and kept the entire loaf of bread in there. I packed a cooler with the chicken salad, jelly, cheese, and fruits. We stopped at a beautiful park in Albuquerque for lunch. It was great!

For kids' snacks, I use plastic tackle boxes. Each compartment has a different little snack in it. Goldfish crackers, grapes, mini marshmallows, pretzels, etc. Nothing that could melt or needs to be refrigerated. They keep these under their seats, and when they want snacks, they pull them out and can have anything they want, but we set a timer on our phone. Usually like 7 minutes or so. They snack, the timer goes off, and it's time to put the boxes away. This prevents pigging out.

Along the lines of the Pringles cans, save some of your containers that you would normally recycle (yogurt tubs and the like) and use those to pack things. Then you can just toss them out along the way.... no need to bring home dirty mason jars or Tupperware containers..............P

We don't use a lot of disposable cups, plates, bowls or cutlery at home but on vacation we will. I wouldn't want to worry about hauling around empty jars or them getting broken in the car.

Two years ago we went out west on a big adventure. Since we weren't sure where all we would eat we bought bread, peanut butter, Pringles (so they wouldn't get smashed), cookies, a few other snacks and drinks. Since then, every time I eat a peanut butter sandwich, I think of our trip. Every meal doesn't have to be a perfectly balanced meal as long as you eat well most of the time.

I agree with your thoughts here..... we ALSO did a "big west" adventure when the kids were younger (flew to NM and drove from there). We were on a SUPER tight budget (I budgeted $80/day for food for two adults and two kids) and with some LUCK we managed to stay right at that (part of the trip included a wedding, so we didn't buy dinner that day PLUS we were invited to the rehearsal dinner, so no food costs that night as well), despite having dinner at Goofy's Kitchen! We started our adventure with a trip to Walmart and bought peanut butter and jam, bread, popcorn, beer ;), apples, bananas, pretzels, paper towels, nuts, cheese sticks, juice boxes, etc. Other than a few big meals (the wedding/rehearsal meals, a big breakfast buffet in Las Vegas, Goofy's Kitchen, and any hotel that offered free breakfast) we ate primarily from the cooler. We did have to stop once or twice to replenish along the way, but we stayed on budget AND on schedule.... and I actually remember the car picnics being FUN along the way! Everyone could eat on their OWN schedule (if one of the kiddos fell asleep in the car and someone was hungry, we didn't have to stop and wake up the sleeper), I let the kids pick and choose from treats they wouldn't normally get at home (Goldfish crackers, cookies) and with the money we saved we were able to stop occasionally for ice cream and have a NICE (but expensive) breakfast in Disneyland on our last morning!

For my family, vacations are all about the experiences..... food is very secondary..................P

Along the lines of the Pringles cans, save some of your containers that you would normally recycle (yogurt tubs and the like) and use those to pack things. Then you can just toss them out along the way.... no need to bring home dirty mason jars or Tupperware containers..............P

Not so much for in the car but I was thinking about trying salad in a 32 oz yogurt container.

Our favorite is a salad meal: chicken salad, potato or pasta salad and fruit salad. All made ahead and kept very cold in a good cooler. We add crackers and maybe some cookies. For a quicker, easier meal, we will pick up deli chicken or a deli platter and some rolls or crackers and add deli cookies and fruit. Most rest stops have nice places to picnic quickly.

That's right. I'm lookin' for em. Sometimes we stop, sometimes we eat while driving. We're making a (almost) yearly trip three day trip each way from New England to Michigan. In the past we've done sandwiches, cheese cracker & sausage. Fruit, cookies. Any other ideas? Does anybody do those mason jar salads? DH is skeptical to say the least. Everybody likes hard boiled eggs so I was going to make those. I just want some more easy fairly healthy ideas!

We will be staying nights in a hotel and we have a plug in cooler. Oh right, there's me, DH and dds 7 and 3.

Since protein and health are the hardest things to handle in a car ride, I want to focus on those items:)...

A nice "special" EASY breakfast every morning - bring a 32oz container of vanilla greek yogurt per morning, disposable bowls and spoons and then try any of the combos you like to bring for the kids on this site http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Healthy-Greek-Yogurt-Topping-Ideas-30974114#photo-30974114 Yogurt is actually an item which is shelf-stable (shocked me when I found out - although of course it tastes much better cold), so it's very "safe" for the car if somehow your cooler has issues or you have kids who take an hour or two to eat it in the car...I like the cherry/chocolate and the blueberry/granola ones:)...

An EASY lunch spread would be shelf-stable hummus (again, most of these are shelf-stable as is, so you have no worries if you have a cooler fail, although it's better cold) with carrots, celery, bagged pita chips, grape tomatoes, or red pepper slices. Add a sweet or a fruit and you're all done:).

I agree with many posters that a cold rotisserie chicken would be an awesome lunch (it's better than fried b/c fried lasts a shorter time well since the breading eventually is just not good). You could break it down pre-trip and have the chicken able to be put on sandwiches or you can break it down into individual bone in pieces and serve that way.

You can also grab a rotisserie turkey breast and do the same (or roast it yourself the day before the trip) - heartier protein push than the deli lunch meat turkey (b/c you'll eat more turkey) and cheaper:).

I would eat the chicken and/or turkey on the 1st day and save the hummus-type meal for day 2. While cold meats are totally safe when stored correctly, car trips are tough on ensuring that and I'd want to err on the safe side:)...

TwoMisfits - lots of great ideas! Love the roast turkey, this us def something we like

We've taken quite a few road trips and camping trips over the years.

One of my family's favorites is homemade beef jerky. I buy a roast about a week out, marinade, slice and dehydrate. Stash it in a baggie and you are good to go. It's great protein, it takes some work to eat so you feel full before you've over-indulged, and it's almost indestructible to store. :)

We're also big fans of trail mix. Either buy the large bags from Walmart or make your own from family favorites. The nuts provide protein, a touch of chocolate makes it feel like a treat and it stores/carries well without getting smashed. It is easy to overindulge in the large bag though, so I typically divide it into snack bags before the trip.

Veggies with various dips. Road trips are a good excuse to buy the pre-portioned, shelf-stable dips, so everyone can pick their own (hummus, ranch, peanut butter, greek yogurt, whatever). You could also put the dip into ziplock snack bags for easy dipping and disposal.

Fresh fruit obviously (grapes, oranges and apples carry well on the go). The snack-size boxed raisins aren't as healthy, but go over well.

My mother tends to offer homemade cookies whenever we have a road trip. They have to be stored carefully to avoid crushing and there are definitely crumbs, but it's a real treat.

Not as healthy and not always budget, but road trips are a good excuse to buy individual-packed snacks: baked chips, peanut butter crackers, gogurt, cheese sticks or slices, drink mixes for water bottles, etc.

For a picnic-style meal outside the car, we tend to stick with sandwiches (you can prep the meat ahead of time so it's ready to go or buy higher quality deli meat). Fried chicken is good cold, but not so healthy. Pasta salads. Garden salads. Wraps can be healthier than most breads and are much easier to transport. (Thanks to the poster who mentioned investing in a hard sided bread container though. 43 yo and I never thought of that. doh. DH really likes baked turkey with mayo on white bread, but it's always gets smashed... lol.)

While I wouldn't reuse containers from other foods typically.... I agree with other posters who suggest having family save small tubs (butter, sour cream, yogurt) for your food storage needs on the trip, so you can toss the trash on the road rather than carrying and cleaning Tupperware.

We do picnic lunches when we travel. We also do day trips and small hikes here at home and we pack lunches for that. So I have a huge list of things we like to take. I'll edit out the stuff already mentioned for the most part.

crackers, cheese, pepperoni/lunch meat
fruit (grapes, berries, banana, pineapple, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges,)
apple sauce
yogurt
veggie wraps
veggies and dip (ranch, caesar, hummus)
grape tomatoes, cucumber, baby carrots, celery, broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas,
pizza wrap: cheese, pepperoni w/ sauce to dip
mini subs
broccoli salad
olives
cheese
nuts (almonds, peanuts)
cheesesticks
frozen juice boxes/bags
raisins and craisins
mini bagels
salsa and Scoops
goldfish fishy crackers
grilled chicken and sauce
couscous salad (my go to recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/tracies-couscous-salad-recipe.html )
animal cookies
graham crackers
cottage cheese
Silver dollar pancakes (or use Mickey cutter to make Mickey ones!)
homemade gummy bears/ fruit roll ups
roasted pumpkin seeds
sunflower seeds
jello/pudding
Pepperoni lunchable w/ sandwich round, pepperoni, cheese, sauce
marinated mushrooms
peanut butter crackers
salsa/cream cheese rolls
turkey and sundried tomato pesto pinwheels

We travel a lot and find all grocery stores have prepared sandwiches and salads in the Deli
We get night meals same way... Or if it's a Whole foods- salad bar or hot bar or sandwiches

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter