RIV SV Studio vs AKL Value 1 Bedroom?

brazzledazzler

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I'm trying to decide which is the best option for our 5-day fall trip. Family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 2 & 5).

For the same period in September, I have reserved 4 nights at RIV SV Studio & 4 nights at AKL Value 1 Bedroom...trying to decide which reservation I should keep.

We own at RIV and love it, the proximity to the parks and everything. We love these studios.

But...we rarely go to Animal Kingdom because it's a schlep from most resorts, so I was thinking for our fall trip, AKL would be lovely. We will have a car—but we prefer to avoid using it usually (but I realize it might be the best option at AKL).

We've never stayed at AKL, but I love the point value and the fact I could have a separate sleeping area from my kids! Plus, it feels like it'd be a relaxing resort. I want to have a more relaxing trip versus the go-go-go I feel when I stay at resorts close to the parks.

Are the pools nice? Food options?

My only hesitation is the bus system. Thanks, everyone, for your input!!

I'm biased as AKL is our favorite. I'd say if you haven't experienced it yet, do it and decide for yourself. You'll have access to 2 outstanding pools, and (in our opinion), the best resort dining options on property. It's a beautiful, peaceful place to stay. As for the 'schlep' comment, it's not nearly as far away from things as you might think. The worst of the trips will be to the MK area. Everything else is not bad at all. The bus service is very good there - 2 internal stops at Jambo (where you'll be) and Kidani. You won't have the convenience of location to HS and EP like Riviera, if you plan a lot of time in those parks. But it'll be a bigger room and a very nice stay for you. Good luck with your decision! Have a great trip either way.

I'm biased as AKL is our favorite. I'd say if you haven't experienced it yet, do it and decide for yourself. You'll have access to 2 outstanding pools, and (in our opinion), the best resort dining options on property. It's a beautiful, peaceful place to stay. As for the 'schlep' comment, it's not nearly as far away from things as you might think. The worst of the trips will be to the MK area. Everything else is not bad at all. The bus service is very good there - 2 internal stops at Jambo (where you'll be) and Kidani. You won't have the convenience of location to HS and EP like Riviera, if you plan a lot of time in those parks. But it'll be a bigger room and a very nice stay for you. Good luck with your decision! Have a great trip either way.
Thanks for this. Glad to hear that the buses at Jambo aren't too bad. We don't plan on going into MK unless we do the Halloween party—so I appreciate your input.

Which was your favorite dining spot there?

The Mara is a very nice counter service with a lot of options.

Given the facts that you haven’t stayed at AKV, and you did score a value one bedroom, I would definitely stay at AKV in September!

I like Jambo‘s pool very much. There’s a playground and animal viewing areas nearby as well.

Seriously, check out the menus for Jiko and Sanaa - both very different and very good. The buffet at Boma (breakfast or dinner) is also a very fun dining experience. Try the soups. The Mara is the best counter service at Disney - again, I'm biased.

Bias because I own there, but I love AKL. I like all the food options, the pool, and the extra space for a more relaxed trip. I know people complain about the buses, but I've never found them to be horrible. Especially since you have a car and have the ability to use it if you want to seems like a no-brainer. I've never found the buses to be that bad, but I come from a major metro city and am used to commuting. I know people also complain about the parking at Jambo, but I've never found that to be horrible either, maybe not as close as some other places, but again I'm used to having to look for parking at times.

I will say the rooms at AKL, compared to RIV are a bit older, I can't wait for them to be next on the refurb schedule. So that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me at all but I feel like is at least worth mentioning.

Definitely AKV! As others have mentioned, we are biased as well since we own there. We stayed in a 1 bedroom value for a week last September. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus. The food options are wonderful! Plus you will have a full kitchen (great for breakfasts), a washer and dryer and a separate sleeping area. Hands down, we favour having a 1 bedroom over a studio especially for a family. Now that it's just my DH and I, we still prefer a 1 bedroom. I've attached pictures of our 1 bedroom value that we stayed in - yes it needs a refurb for sure (hopefully that will come soon) but I still think it is the way to go for you for this current trip. Oh and the values are right by the lobby which you overlook on your way to the elevators. Loved it. Good luck with your decision!

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1643.jpeg
    IMG_1643.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 40
Definitely AKV! As others have mentioned, we are biased as well since we own there. We stayed in a 1 bedroom value for a week last September. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus. The food options are wonderful! Plus you will have a full kitchen (great for breakfasts), a washer and dryer and a separate sleeping area. Hands down, we favour having a 1 bedroom over a studio especially for a family. Now that it's just my DH and I, we still prefer a 1 bedroom. I've attached pictures of our 1 bedroom value that we stayed in - yes it needs a refurb for sure (hopefully that will come soon) but I still think it is the way to go for you for this current trip. Oh and the values are right by the lobby which you overlook on your way to the elevators. Loved it. Good luck with your decision!
I forgot to mention the advantage of having the washer and dryer in the AKV 1BR - great point. It allows us much more flexibility with packing - less clothes often meant more room for souvenirs at the end of the trip! We've also graduated to more 1BR than studio.....

I forgot to mention the advantage of having the washer and dryer in the AKV 1BR - great point. It allows us much more flexibility with packing - less clothes often meant more room for souvenirs at the end of the trip! We've also graduated to more 1BR than studio.....

Exactly this! It is so nice to put your clothes in the washer, head to the park or pool, come back and throw them in the dryer and go to dinner. Oh and you're right - less clothes means more souvenirs! :)

I always do split stays, but for only 4 nights I would also opt for AKL. I will be staying there for 4 nights on my upcoming May trip. I managed to get 3 nights Club Level 1 Bdrm and will stay the last night in a Savanna View Studio. I understand that Club privilege's continue until the evening of your check-out day, so I won't miss any feedings. During this trip I start with 3 nights at BLT in a Theme Park view Studio and follow AKL with 3 nights at Riviera in a Standard view Studio.

I think you would love the AKL vibe. I would try it just for the sake of experiencing it. I imagine your kids will love the experience with the animals. Plus, you have access to the 2 resorts. Pools, dining, etc. We loved our stay there and I have little kids.

3 nights in an AKV Club room with 4 full days to use it sounds perfect!! Good planning!

We actually just did this a few weeks ago but I did Arrival day in a value studio, 3 nights club and then one more night value. Was it a lot of moving? Maybe but we were never without a room for more than an hour (I know We got very very lucky). It was worth it to have from breakfast on check in day to dessert and cordials on check out day 👍

Our family likes AKV. Weve only stayed on the Kidani side both in a regular studio and Savanna room. As far as resorts go I think it's great with the negative being the location. Food options are terrific. I think Boma is the best breakfast buffet in all of Disney and Sanna at Kidani is great too. We did not use their quick serve but heard the Mara is very good and have not eaten at Jiko.

We always have a car which makes the AK trips easier though my wife did take a bus one time from there and it wasn't bad either. My feeling is that if you are going to do a park hopper every day it is not the resort to be at unless your switch is going to be over to AK in the later afternoon. The Epcot resorts give you that great option of going somewhere, heading back to the room to take a break, and then heading somewhere else. For us AKV was more choosing one park, spending a good amount of time in the park to get whatever in that the kids wanted to do, and then heading back to AKV to enjoy the resort. If that is more what you are planning then I would certainly take Animal Kingdom especially with a 1BR.

Since you were able to get a value 1-BR, I wouldn't let that go! I had to cancel a value studio once, and it about killed me! :sad: As far as transportation, you can use your car to Epcot and DHS, if you would prefer, but they are not that far away. We always use the buses there. I just like getting let out at the entrance. Same for AK. I would NOT use a car to MK. Even though I dislike using buses to and from MK, if you use your car, you'll have to park at the TTC and take the monorail or the ferry. It's just easier to take the bus.

If you own at Riviera, I think it's a no-brainer to stay in the AKV value 1-BR this trip. You can always book Rivera for a future trip, but you may never get a value at AKV again.

Since you were able to get a value 1-BR, I wouldn't let that go! I had to cancel a value studio once, and it about killed me! :sad: As far as transportation, you can use your car to Epcot and DHS, if you would prefer, but they are not that far away. We always use the buses there. I just like getting let out at the entrance. Same for AK. I would NOT use a car to MK. Even though I dislike using buses to and from MK, if you use your car, you'll have to park at the TTC and take the monorail or the ferry. It's just easier to take the bus.

If you own at Riviera, I think it's a no-brainer to stay in the AKV value 1-BR this trip. You can always book Rivera for a future trip, but you may never get a value at AKV again.
Yeah, the rare chance of snagging this room was why I grabbed it! I didn’t think it was in the cards at 7 months!!

We’re staying at VGF in May, and will have plenty of MK time…so I think our Sept trip is a good time to be away from the MK area. I wanted a place to relax—we love the vibe at Poly for relaxing, but ready to try somewhere new!

The animals on the savanna look like a blast to watch 😎

It’s such a great use of points :) we actually love the 1 bedrooms at Jambo because the bathroom isn’t attached to the Master. I know That sounds like a weird thing to be happy about but when we travel with my son’s teenage friends I don’t want them accidentally opening the wrong door from the bathroom 🫣

Akv is one of my favorite resorts so definitely gets my vote. Few things I’ll add as someone with 5, 3, and 1 year old I’ve traveled to Disney with fairly often the last 6 months.

We find the buses are much harder with kids and strollers then when we were just two adults. Our solution has been to have a car and with a car akv for us cannot be beat (though we sometimes still bus to mk).

The other thing is with respect to 1br it’s nice to have the extra space but make sure you know the layout and your kids. My 5 yr is ornery enough to find a way to unlock the door and has some social developmental delays so we worry he may wander out at night if he were to sleep in the living room without us. We could still do 1br with them sharing the king bed with us but it somewhat defeats the purpose from privacy perspective so wanted to highlight that potential consideration.

People complain about how far away AKL is from the rest of Disney World (my husband included in this) but it you look at an actual map, the MK is far away from the rest of the World. AKL is stunning, and a great place to stay. One time when we were checking in, we saw Patrick Ewing, basketball star.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter