• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

Secondly, I have to ask a bit selfishly as a owner at BLT, does anyone know if there was any damage at all to the BLT? flooding etc?

We are here at BLT. There are trees down, but I haven't seen any significant damage. We've only been out to walk across the bridge to the Contemporary. We are headed out here in a few minutes to do some more walking around the resort. I heard from a waiter at the Wave that some of the Contemporary rooms had leaks and water damage. Haven't heard that about any BLT rooms. I'll post back after our walk if we see or hear of more damage.

They are out inspecting/cleaning the monorail lines.
20170911_153452.jpg

Last edited:
We are here at BLT. There are trees down, but I haven't seen any significant damage. We've only been out to walk across the bridge to the Contemporary. We are headed out here in a few minutes to do some more walking around the resort. I heard from a waiter at the Wave that some of the Contemporary rooms had leaks and water damage. Haven't heard that about any BLT rooms. I'll post back after our walk if we see or hear of more damage.

They are out inspecting/cleaning the monorail lines.View attachment 268879

I can confirm the leaks, but it was the balcony we had some water get through but they were proactive with getting towels to every room as soon as calls came in

Officials said the damage assessment could take several days and that people should contact their airline to check the status of their flight before arriving at the airport.

Cause the darn things won't go and enter flight plans with NOAA ;)
I know it's frustrating. We are dealing with it here ourselves, will we or won't we have damaging winds tonight?
They still don't know
But as much science as we have today, we are still talking about a force of nature and there is nothing at all that can predict where they are going and what they are doing, until they do it. They can give best guesses but that's all they are, ever.

Even with the uncertainty and best guesses, it's SO MUCH BETTER than what warning we used to have. For example, the 1900 hurricane in Galveston, TX killed between 6 and 10 thousand people. They never expect a hurricane to cause that much loss of life ever again, because we are at least able to say "hey, something's coming in this general direction and you need to evacuate". Definitely frustrating to have such uncertainty, but better to have something than nothing--even with Irma shifting so much, at least we knew how big it was, so that basically the whole state of FL could be prepared.

Port Orleans French Quarter this morning. I wanted to check on our rental car and this is the aftermath of the grounds around the resort. Call me crazy but I want to help them clean up the place.

JD

Poor POFQ! Heck, I'm in NJ and I want to go down and help clean up! I hope the snail friend I made at the smoking area across from 6 is okay! :laughing:

I can confirm the leaks, but it was the balcony we had some water get through but they were proactive with getting towels to every room as soon as calls came in
Good to hear. We didn't have any water in from our balcony at BLT but I did see a cart of towels out in the hall and wondered if those were for people who had water coming in.

I hope I'm doing this right! (I'm trying to quote reply to @cem0620, just in case that doesn't work)-- I'm still on page 37, trying to catch back up so maybe its already been addressed, but could you keep us posted on what your drive is like, if you do do it? we are scheduled to drive down from PA beginning Thursday, but with an overnight on the GA/FL border (hotel already reserved) to meet up with friends before heading to WDW to check in Friday.

Our drive would be entirely 95-S, until we needed to get on I-4 for Orlando. I've been keeping an eye on the GasBuddy app to see where there might be rough spots with gas, but so far (and I know its verrrrrrry early yet) it *looks* doable. But of course I am worried about getting stuck and, more importantly, making recovery harder for returning Floridians. My gut/based on what I've seen reported elsewhere, is that I-75 was the biggest issue with traffic for evacuees... wondering if 95 faired better or if it was/will be just as bad and I just didn't hear about it.

On a different note-- I'm a FL native but moved away for work some years ago; was a kid during Hurricane Andrew, so my heart 100% goes out to everyone who has gone through this down there now. I don't envy any of your positions, as guests or FL residents, and I hope recovery will be speedy and as painless as possible and that you all get a chance to experience some uninterrupted magic real soon. Your posts over the past few days have been a real source of light and have calmed me immensely as I realized I wasn't going to get a straight answer from some "too tough to admit I'm terrified" family still in SFL, and to help me bring some joy to my "about to get hit next" friends further northwest. I've visited these boards often as a lurker, but signed up officially after reading through the thread and being so touched by all the support I've seen here. It means a lot.

Good on ya! And nice to "meet" everyone!

Has anyone seen prices for Boma or Cape May Cafe for tonight (9/11)? It's my birthday, and everything near our off-site resort is closed.

Something else I'm noting is how many improvements Disney has made just in the past year on how they are handling things at the resorts. I think the folks are fairing a bit better now than some did during Matthew. At least there don't seem to be as many complaints. Or am I just missing the complaints?

Even with the uncertainty and best guesses, it's SO MUCH BETTER than what warning we used to have. For example, the 1900 hurricane in Galveston, TX killed between 6 and 10 thousand people. They never expect a hurricane to cause that much loss of life ever again, because we are at least able to say "hey, something's coming in this general direction and you need to evacuate". Definitely frustrating to have such uncertainty, but better to have something than nothing--even with Irma shifting so much, at least we knew how big it was, so that basically the whole state of FL could be prepared.
Yes, without question. They are better now than even when Andrew moved through.
That and there have been huge improvements made in building codes. Between the improvements in what predictions they can make and code changes, many, many, many lives have been saved.

Has anyone seen prices for Boma or Cape May Cafe for tonight (9/11)? It's my birthday, and everything near our off-site resort is closed.
I assume you were thinking of going after the curfew lifts? Presumably once the curfew is gone places near your offsite resort will re-open. Since the resorts are presumably full of on site guests (evacuees as well as vacationers) who have no choice but to eat at their resort restaurants, I doubt that additional off site guests could be accommodated easily, thus would not venture over without an ADR. Would they even let you enter the resort parking lot/park your car w/out one? @ a minimum I'd call before just showing up. Of course if they're re-opening venues, then it might be ok. But, last year w/ Charlie they re-opened Disney Springs early and from all reports it was jammed, there's been no suggestion that they'll repeat that, time will tell.

Something else I'm noting is how many improvements Disney has made just in the past year on how they are handling things at the resorts. I think the folks are fairing a bit better now than some did during Matthew. At least there don't seem to be as many complaints. Or am I just missing the complaints?
I don't think there is anything to complain about.

The biggest thing I saw last hurricane was perceived price gouging for crappy box lunches and HUGE lines, people waiting hours and hours and hours. It seems like they are better prepared with better food, that they are staging distribution, and although they are charging for food they are discounting heavily vs. their regular rates for people stranded at resorts without choices, even at sit down restaurants... no one can remotely accuse them of gouging. They seemed to have learned from last time and made major improvements. Most people are grateful to be safe and fed!

Anyone here to go to AK DVC Moonlight Magic Wednesday night?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter