Rides closed during scattered thunderstorms?

Pookie9922

Mouseketeer
Just checked the weather for this weekend's trip and saw we should expect scattered thunderstorms. What rides could this affect? Do they still run the Safari when it's raining/thunder?

Also, are the crowds smaller when it's raining? At Disneyland, rainy days are our favorites because most of my fellow Californians are rain wusses, so all the lines are shorter!

It would depend on how far off the storm is. If lightning is detected within a certain radius, all outside attractions (and pools) are normally shut down until it is out of range. Safari can be included, a few years ago a giraffe was struck by lightning in front of a safari truck full of guests. Sadly, it did not survive.

And depending on when it rains, it doesn't really effect crowd size, since the storms usually pass within an hour. Also, WDW is not a locals park, most people travel to get there, so the rain doesn't usually stop people from being in the parks. Some leave, but not a lot - and then they all come back once it's over! Everyone will be in ponchos and getting in lines for indoor attractions.

"Scattered thunderstorms" typically means you've a good chance of none where you are.

This was the forecast for several days of our mid-May stay. We got lightly rained on once (just enough to get damp without a poncho).

You might step out of a Main Street shop and see it pouring on the Castle. A few minutes later, bright sunshine. That's often the case in Florida.

Take rain gear with you in case but don't worry about it.

Thunder and lightning are the big red lights for Disney shutting things down. We've ridden Everest, Mine Train, Big Thunder etc., in light rain, but if it starts pouring they may suspend those as well temporarily. Indoor rides are generally the go-to at this time. If it's any time past noon, then we definitely notice a thinning out of crowds when rain sets in (if it's anything more than just a brief sun shower).

Also, scattered thunderstorms really is hit and miss (meaning you may get nothing at all) -- until you get into the depths of July and August (which is when we do our summer WDW week). At that time you're almost assured a daily drenching at any point between around 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. (and sometimes it lingers, but usually not in our experience)

Safari doesn’t usually shut down for lightning since the vehicles are covered. I’ve seen numerous times where Kali, Everest, and Triceratops plus 1-2 others I’m probably forgetting will be down but Safari will be operational.

We just returned on 6/11 and we had scattered thunderstorms every day - it's annoying - LOL!!

The closures for us were Test Track, Fantasmic, the 3:00pm MK parade, the Sky Liner, Tinkerbell did not take her flight during Happily Ever After and the water parade on Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. I'm sure anything with an outdoor track and/or water related closes during rain/storms.

My tip for you is to really watch your weather app - as soon as we saw rain coming we either went to a show, a gift shop or got something to eat. A few times we had to wait out rain with nothing to do, but sit there. Another tip is bring an extra pair of shoes and take an extra pair of socks with you into the park. My DD19 needed to change shoes from one day to the next due to her shoes being to wet and she had to buy socks in the MK, because her socks got wet. The rain itself didn't make her feet wet, it was all the puddles that she couldn't avoid walking through due to the crowds.

I read that June is Florida's rainiest month, and it sure was rainy for us. We've never gone in the summer before, and we never go in the summer again - LOL!! .

Have a magical trip!!

In the summer it seems it can be raining in one park and not another and as others have mentioned the rain is usually short lived and most people stick it out. If there is the potential of all day rain be sure to bring an umbrella if you want one or to purchase one quickly. On one of our most recent trips DD and I bought the last 2 umbrellas to be found in DHS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter