Ride Line Time Killers?

Texian@WDW

DIS Veteran
Anticipating long lines during our upcoming visit so it got me to thinking about how to spend our time in a fun way. Four of us, two being college students. Any apps, games, etc. to play during our wait?

We play the "I'm thinking of" game. It's basically 20 questions except with a kid we do lots more than 20 questions.

Sometimes we do themes. For Star Wars weekend we had to think of something Star Wars, for instance, or our trip in November had to be holiday related.

That keeps us entertained better than anything else. We've even involved a fair number of cranky kids over the years (who get over their crankies while playing). Best part is you don't have to carry anything at all!

Make sure you are doing everything to keep your waits as short as possible. Understand and be effective with FP, be at the gates well before opening time ( the actual opening time based on recent guest) and if possible use EMH and park hoppers. Use line waits to have a snack, or drink, check your plans, ADRs etc. Down load a Disney trivia game or two, people watch, strike up conversations with other guest and plan for your next attraction. Enjoy the lines, most are very well themed.

I spy is a good game I would think, especially in Disney lines. Would you rather is also a fun one. I second 20 questions.

Heads up is a fun app, and I have another one on my phone that I can't remember the name of...either or...or something...kind of a would you rather type.

I'd find something everyone can play. Ooh, I did find some fun mad libs games too. Anything that will keep all engaged and off the phones. Plenty of time to bury your nose in social media when you get home.

Edit: Okay, just realized I mentioned apps and then keeping people off the phones...I meant keeping everyone engaged together, rather than alone on Facebook.

Last edited:
We look for hidden mickeys, talk about our plans for the rest of the day or what's next, etc. We've never been a family that has to be continually entertained in line. Plus there's always people watching to help pass the time. :)

Hidden Mickey's, talking, we like to make up stories about things in the line or a back story about people we see (not within their hearing and we don't say anything nasty). If push comes to shove, we all have the kindle ap on our phones and we read.

Yes. I think they sell them in the park. They are so annoying. And my kid freaks out because he hates bubbles. It makes it no fun for us.

Good to know, I wouldn't have thought about it and people have mentioned bringing them to keep kids entertained. My son is 4, and his five cousins who are coming along are all close in age and would love them. I'd think twice about it now.

Many people on the boards here have mentioned not climbing on the railings which, unfortunately, I know my son will want to do constantly. He's a climber and a jumper and a mover. I'm just hoping he'll do enough jumping and walking by the time we get to the lines that he's going to be less inclined to climb. I doubt it tho.

Good to know, I wouldn't have thought about it and people have mentioned bringing them to keep kids entertained. My son is 4, and his five cousins who are coming along are all close in age and would love them. I'd think twice about it now.

Many people on the boards here have mentioned not climbing on the railings which, unfortunately, I know my son will want to do constantly. He's a climber and a jumper and a mover. I'm just hoping he'll do enough jumping and walking by the time we get to the lines that he's going to be less inclined to climb. I doubt it tho.

Bubbles are okay in an open space but in a line where people can't avoid you it's not the best idea.

Do you all like trivia? Word games? My kids are a bit younger but obsessed with Star Wars so we brought some of the SW trivial pursuit cards along and did those in line (no keeping score, just for fun). I think there are some Jeopardy type apps that would be fun.

Do you all like trivia? Word games? My kids are a bit younger but obsessed with Star Wars so we brought some of the SW trivial pursuit cards along and did those in line (no keeping score, just for fun). I think there are some Jeopardy type apps that would be fun.

Great idea, thanks!

When we are in line but my son has energy to get out we play jumping games (up and down only So we don't hit anyone) or push hard against one anothers hands. Also discoverd Rock Paper Scissors can often be enough to get the wiggles out for him!

When we are in line but my son has energy to get out we play jumping games (up and down only So we don't hit anyone) or push hard against one anothers hands. Also discoverd Rock Paper Scissors can often be enough to get the wiggles out for him!

Maybe a bit of a side track, but to add to your list of "active" games: Thumb Wars! I recently taught DS8, who really needs to move sometimes, to play this and he LOVES it. It requires just enough concentration and physical activity to keep him occupied/distracted and lessen the stress/anxiety (for him) of waiting in line.

Download the heads up game on a smartphone. It's like $1.99 or something like that. One player holds the phone up on their forehead and tries to guess the word on the phone with help from the other players. It's similar to Taboo and there is a board game associated with the app. The app is funny because it takes a video of everyone trying to help the player identify the word, watching them can be very entertaining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter