Review: Point Lobos State reserve

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
Hey, I am too lazy to write a narrative trip report, so I thought i would do some mini reviews.

I knew we wanted to see the spectacular scenery associated with the 17 mile drive in carmel, but I also wanted an "active/interactive" way to do it, so I decided on a day hike at Point lobos. It was a quick and easy drive from Carmel city, we payed the state park fee($10 a car), and drove to the Whalers cabin parking lot. (I had researched from their web site, and had a map of the trails). There are seven miles of trails, we did about half of that.
We started on the North shore trail, it starts with the breathtaking .....north shore!
100_1291.JPG

100_1280.JPG

100_1293.JPG

It also takes you through "meadows"
IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

We were lucky enough to see a doe and her two fawns

100_1289.JPG

and of course seals :)

100_1290.JPG

We then hiked the sea lion point trail
IMG_0788.JPG

and then Whalers knoll to re-connect with the North shore trail. Altogether it was 2 hours of easy to moderatly strenuous (mainly the cliffs to get out to sea lion point )hiking.

I rate it as not to be missed ! 5 out of 5 stars.

100_1279.JPG

Judy,

Thank you for sharing. Great photos! It reminded me of our recent trip to Monterey. However, I had no idea the state park was there. I guess we'll have to go back and try it sometime.

Yep, Point Lobos is a local jewel. I don't get there nearly often enough, considering I live a short distance away. If you're on a budget, you can park along Highway 1 and hike in. On busy weekends, they fill up the parking space and don't let more cars in; so dozens of cars will park along Highway 1 and everyone hikes in. It's not far -- it will be closer to hike from your car to Whaler's Cove than your hike from Whaler's cove to the western parts of the park.

Thanks much for your report and pictures. Brings back good times. Reminds me of the time we were there and saw an otter couple making baby otters. Ah, nature :)

-Bob

I've been enjoying all your mini reports and the pictures are great! I wonder if I went to that park with my family when I was younger. :confused3 We went on a hike somewhere around that area but I was too young to pay too much attention to exactly where we were. Your pictures make me want to go back! Another one to add to the list!

California has many gorgeous state parks, and Point Lobos is sometimes called the Queen of the State Park System. It is truly is a special place, and an easy and rewarding hike for old and young alike. We saw sea otters swimming in the small 'bay' there.

I was just in that area last week, but didn't have time to visit the park. It's on my list of things to do. Your pics are gorgeous.

Thanks for the great review! Would anyone recommend visiting this park in late January? What would the weather be like?

Thanks for the great review! Would anyone recommend visiting this park in late January? What would the weather be like?

Extremely variable. It's rainy season, so it could be very wet and windy. Or it could be sunny and warm. We regularly see both in January. But I wouldn't let that stop you. If it's raining, put on the rain slicker and hike the park. It's gorgeous any time of year!

-Bob

My sister and her family love this park. Finally went with two of our boys and it was a great hike with beautiful views.

Thanks for posting your wonderful pictures!

I love this park. They have several sections, all with different, beautiful walks (the trails are easy!) and even some interesting historical interpretive areas. As it is closer to Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel, and costs basically nothing, I much prefer it to any fancy schmancy Big Sur place. You won't get a hot tub or gourmet dinner here, but you will get the sense of peacefulness and exhilaration from the gorgeous location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter