"Retro" Backlot Tour @ MGM

All these pic are great. Its really refreshing my memory, but kinda sad its all gone. My husband never got to see any of it. I will have to dig out old photos now.

I think the tour's kinda lame now. I used to love it when I was younger (and it was it's original format). But I do like participating in the "Harbor Attack" because I'm an actress ;)

I DO know one of the houses was used as Alice's House for the old Disney Channel TV show Adventures in Wonderland. That's all I remember fact wise but I DO remember walking down "Residential Street" during the first year of the Osborne Family Spectical of Lights and seeing them all decked out. It was SO beautiful. With they could still do that.

I wish I could have seen this version of the backlot tour! I had no idea it was as awesome as this seems...kind of makes me sad I didn't get to see the houses and old props :sad1: but, my first visit was in 2002, and something tells me this was long gone by then. I will most definitely have to do some google searches for old pictures :thumbsup2

it was actually there in 2002. dh and i didnt do disney together until 2003 and my last trip before that would of been in the 80's before mgm/dhs opened. so we saw the facades on our 2003/04 trips, but i believe our 05 trip they were gone.

i agree its just not the same now.

I need to find and post my pictures from May '89, just a few days after MGM opened. I remember the street with the home. I remember in one of the driveways Herbie the Love Bug was set up in one of the driveways. That was such an interesting tour at that time.

I need to find and post my pictures from May '89, just a few days after MGM opened. I remember the street with the home. I remember in one of the driveways Herbie the Love Bug was set up in one of the driveways. That was such an interesting tour at that time.

I remember this! I was there in '89 as well and was always a huge Herbie fan, so I totally freaked out when I saw him, lol.

This isn't my pic, I just did a Google search, but the caption that went with it says that he was parked at Ernest's house (for some reason I remember him being in the "Golden Girls" driveway, but then again I was only 7 at the time, so who knows?).
ds_herbie_789.jpg

We did the tour just a month or two after the park opened. The tour was looooong. I remember how disappointed I was when they told us the GG house was just a facade and there wasn't actually anything inside. And back then, we couldn't walk down NY Street. We just drove by.

Well, whatever changes they plan, it's got to be an improvement over the shell that's there now!

I was in Disney World on a school trip when I was in 6th grade in '94, and when we did the MGM tour we also were lucky enough to see some of an episode of the new "Mickey Mouse Club" being filmed. My sister and all her junior-high friends nearly lost it when they caught a glimpse of some of their favorite "cute boy" mouseketeers, lol.

When we were there in 2010, we looked at the guidemap and saw what the backlot tour is now, and we decided to not even bother with it. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter