• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort Parking fees and dialysis

SailingSeas

Will Retire to Castaway Cay!
I tried to search but couldn't find a recent answer to this. We have a trip planned in a couple of weeks. One of our family members recently has health problems and she is on dialysis three times a week. We were planning on using Magical Express now to save on costs, but it's now getting clearer to me that we should rent a car to cut back on some of the traveling times. I was surprised to find out that Disney only offers complimentary parking for Guests with handicap plates or placards. We do not have one and I have never thought to ask for one. Can we ask our doctor for a note for her? I am not sure what to do - please advise? I really want to take her but these additional costs are starting to overwhelm me.

right now everyone ( but those with hanicap tags) that has a car at disney resorts I do not know a way around this can her dr give her a handicap tag is all I can think of. or hould it be chepper to take a taxie to her appoinments

Not much that you can currently do. When I got !y first placard card, I had to get a form from our Secretary of State (DMV), take it to the doctors office and then take back to DMV and finally got the placard. Might want to try it, but e ity covid everything is by appointment. Good luck!

Not sure of the state your located in but you should try. We were able to get one for a temporary disability in 24 hrs but this was before Covid, Try👍

Are you by any chance a DVC (Disney Vacation Club) member staying at a DVC resort using either points or cash? Or a non-DVC member staying at a DVC resort on rented points? In these situations self-parking at your resort is free.

I tried to search but couldn't find a recent answer to this. We have a trip planned in a couple of weeks. One of our family members recently has health problems and she is on dialysis three times a week. We were planning on using Magical Express now to save on costs, but it's now getting clearer to me that we should rent a car to cut back on some of the traveling times. I was surprised to find out that Disney only offers complimentary parking for Guests with handicap plates or placards. We do not have one and I have never thought to ask for one. Can we ask our doctor for a note for her? I am not sure what to do - please advise? I really want to take her but these additional costs are starting to overwhelm me.

A doctor's "note" or "letter" won't work - Disney CMs are trained not to ask for them or look at them.

Reach out to your loved one's primary care doctor ASAP, and ask what you need to do to get the form(s) filled out for the state that your LO resides in. You can also go to the state's website (usually it falls under an agency like the DMV, but in some states it's actually under the bureau of licenses, or even the tax department) and find out what forms are needed, if any payment is required (other than to the physician for filling out the form(s) - some doctors charge for that) and how long it typically takes. Most states offer the familiar blue hangtag for the rearview mirror, and in some cases, a dash placard and/or specially marked license plate(s).

And weirdly - although the campsites at FW get one free parking spot per site, the cabins have the same overnight parking rate as regular Resort rooms! 🤷‍♀️

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Came back to add this:

If you are worried about using the internal transportation at WDW, maybe we can help you strategize that, and then you don't have to have the additional expense of renting a car as well...

To get my youngest’s placard, I printed the form off our state’s MVA website, took it to the doctor, got it filled out, mailed it in, and got the placards in the mail. It took a couple weeks to get them (my youngest has EDS and mobility issues, uses a wheelchair at Disney).

Not sure how far you have to go for dialysis, but maybe Uber is a good option? Having health issues definitely adds to costs of trips, I totally hear you!

Your first route is your family member's doctor. But regardless of the outcome, I do think you'll want a rental car vs an uber.

My mother is also on dialysis 3x a week and we did one trip with her. The three days of dialysis were entirely consumed with her trip back and forth and the several hours at the center. A car was helpful in terms of speed, running other errands while she was in the center, and getting her back to the room without much wait. We were also able to leave her bag of dialysis stuff (a blanket, sweatshirt, books, puzzle...) in the trunk.

I think the cost of six uber trips with the distance might balance the parking.

Depending on when she has to start the dialysis treatments and the costs of the additional parking, you might want to try to price out rental costs on property/close by with a shuttle to pick you up?

One day car rentals are pricey and likely not worth it to do 3x versus renting a car for the week.

So add up one day car rentals vs. renting a car for the week + parking fees to see which is better. One other thing to think about is travel to & from the parks. With the rental car, you don't have to wait for Disney transportation either.

Kim, that is what I was thinking of. We've had to rely on taxi/uber before for medical treatments, and it added a layer of stress. I was surprised by the car rental being cheaper to rent for the whole week relative to just doing it for D-Days. when I add in the parking fee though, it goes back up, hence being torn. I'll ask her doctor and try and get a placard before we go, but I am not hopeful given the time of year.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate it. And Mamabunny, the offer to strategize transportation is so sweet, thank you.

Not sure on your state. But in CA, we can do a lot of our DMV stuff at our local AAA office (if you have a membership of course). That includes getting the handicap placard once the doctor fills out the forms. Both my parents have placards and my friend has one too, and they all went through AAA to get theirs right on the spot.

Getting a placard is not easy. First, her doctor needs to fill out his half of the form. Then you need to make an appointment at DMV. If you even can. Then you wait hours.

as A cardholder myself, it frankly amazes me that FL has this policy of not charging handicapped tags. ADA does not mandate such waiving of fees. If everyone else is charged, then no one is required to let us off. And it is standard that all hotels charge some sort of parking fee.

it frankly amazes me that FL has this policy of not charging handicapped tags
Actually, it's WDW who is waiving the fee. Florida law only exempts up to 4 hours of parking at an on-street meter. That said, there are several states and/or municipalities that do waive parking fees for handicapped tags/placard. Laws vary across the U.S.

Getting a placard is not easy. First, her doctor needs to fill out his half of the form. Then you need to make an appointment at DMV. If you even can. Then you wait hours.

And in *my* home state, the doctor fills out their part of the form only AFTER you have gotten the form, and filled out your portion first; typically that's pretty easy (you download it from the state website) but then you have to mail the form, and a check for the fee ($5) to the state capitol, and wait 6 to 8 weeks for the hangtag to arrive. We have never done the license plates in my home state because they take as long, (6 to 8 weeks to process) and there is a higher added cost for the special plate, so I just stick with the hangtag.

*Some* states do have a "temporary" disabled placard that can be quicker to get - I think it's just *my* home state that thinks that a "temporary" placard/hangtag should take 6 to 8 weeks... by then, people with a broken leg, or who are healing from surgery, etc. typically don't need it anymore! (hmmm... maybe that's the strategy?)

Regarding the dialysis you are aware that her current dialysis center has to make arrangements. Also average time of dialysis is 4 hours after which she will be very tired and need wheelchair to do parks. On the bright side there is a new Ferenus dialysis center 8 miles from Animal Kingdom on Highway 27 in Clermont, Florida near Walmart

A handicap license place and/or placard in NH just takes a signature from your doctor on a form. It is up to your doctor to make the judgement call. There are temporary and permanent cards (edit - $5). Only permanent license plates but you do get a card as well to take when you are in another vehicle. You take the form to DMV and they issue a placard. Could be done in a day in NH. Don't feel bad about asking for one!

A handicap license place and/or placard in NH just takes a signature from your doctor on a form. It is up to your doctor to make the judgement call. There are temporary and permanent cards (edit - $5). Only permanent license plates but you do get a card as well to take when you are in another vehicle. You take the form to DMV and they issue a placard. Could be done in a day in NH. Don't feel bad about asking for one!

How did you figure out the OP was from NH?

As an aside, a person can usually get a temporary one for surgery or a flare if the Dr. doesn't want to do a permanent one

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter