• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort Conundrum- Riviera v Yacht Club

got15

DIS Veteran
Hey DisFriends.. we have an upcoming trip for the first week of November and are currently booked in a Yacht Club Water View (since CL is no longer). We are really looking forward to it- the pool and proximity to 2 parks. As I think about missing out on CL and having breakfasts/coffees/ room to spread out since the parks will not be opened so late... I keep wondering about DVC. We have never stayed in one before- but thinking it might be nice to have a full fridge and laundry. We love Yacht Club.. but for those who have stayed in a 1 bedroom Preferred (about a $200 upcharge from Yacht) did you love it? Was it worth it? Which would you choose? I have 2 rambunctious boys under 10 fwiw.

I'd stay at Yacht Club and enjoy room service in leiu of Club Level. Right now Yacht Club is the only resort offering in-room dining.

And of course, Stormalong Bay is wonderful. Your fun-loving boys will miss out on that if you switch.

Hey DisFriends.. we have an upcoming trip for the first week of November and are currently booked in a Yacht Club Water View (since CL is no longer). We are really looking forward to it- the pool and proximity to 2 parks. As I think about missing out on CL and having breakfasts/coffees/ room to spread out since the parks will not be opened so late... I keep wondering about DVC. We have never stayed in one before- but thinking it might be nice to have a full fridge and laundry. We love Yacht Club.. but for those who have stayed in a 1 bedroom Preferred (about a $200 upcharge from Yacht) did you love it? Was it worth it? Which would you choose? I have 2 rambunctious boys under 10 fwiw.

That's a tough call as I love the location of the EP resorts, however, the one-bedrooms at RIV are fantastic. We stayed in one in December and the layout is fantastic. Huge space, full kitchen, washer/dryer, plus the pull-down beds in the living room are very comfortable. It is the only one-bedroom DVC configuration I would book as we do not like the pull-out sofas, but the pull-downs are great (we book 2-bedroom villas, otherwise). I think your boys would enjoy RIV. The pool slide is fun and they have some lawn games plus the Skyliner is fun to ride, IMHO. If you think you will be spending a lot of time in the room, I would lean toward RIV. Especially with the one-bedroom, you will have 2 TV's (if that matters). If available, I would also recommend considering a standard view if available to save some money. We stayed in a one-bedroom, standard view, 7th floor, west wing and December and I had a magnificent view of Spaceship Earth (I would request high floor, west wing).

I'd stay at Yacht Club and enjoy room service in leiu of Club Level. Right now Yacht Club is the only resort offering in-room dining.

And of course, Stormalong Bay is wonderful. Your fun-loving boys will miss out on that if you switch.

Is room service available?

How many times actually going down the Stormalong Bay Slide in reality versus all the amenities and newness and once in a lifetime availabilty. I expect competition for booking window will be very strict in future with point chart reallocations, etc.
If you can get Riviera,grab it and be “D-lightfully happy!

I would choose RIV. It’s new. The 1BR will give you the space to spread out more. The 1BR has both a Murphy-style queen bed and a bunk-size pull down bed in the living room, plus you get a king bed in the master bedroom.

Definitely a tough choice but as a YC fan who has stayed there with kids 5 years in a row we made the switch to Rivera this year due to all the SAB uncertainty and we loved it! We booked a 2 bedroom preferred and was given major pixie dust at check in and upgraded to 3 bedroom grand villa! The Rivera is absolutely beautiful, rooms are all gorgeous and beds even the sofa bed that my 13 yr old slept on was extremely comfy. both pools are great and my kids had a blast in them. Food is great also. I would choose Rivera now while you can.

We stopped sharing one room once our kids were about 8 & 10 or so. I’d definitely do the one bedroom villa for more space. You also can’t beat having your own washer/dryer; it’s nice to toss a load in every day! The full kitchen is nice for in room snacks (make your own “club level” by ordering wine & cheese, breakfast things to grab in the morning).

Thanks friends! We decided to switch to Riviera... I think the extra space with the limited park hours will be worth it. It will be a new adventure for us and while we will miss Stormalong Bay pool and walking.. I'm hoping that the newness of the Resort and space will let us make our own CL- like stay.. Now I need to research how to do make that happen..;) I love this board- thanks for all your advice!

Thanks friends! We decided to switch to Riviera... I think the extra space with the limited park hours will be worth it. It will be a new adventure for us and while we will miss Stormalong Bay pool and walking.. I'm hoping that the newness of the Resort and space will let us make our own CL- like stay.. Now I need to research how to do make that happen..;) I love this board- thanks for all your advice!
Great choice you won’t regret it! And we used publix instacart for grocery delivery. They were great left our groceries with bell services and sent us text messages with pics of our items that needed refrigeration reassuring us that they were in the fridge. Having the large space was great because we spent much more time in our villa this year compared to years past because there was literally nothing to do after 8pm. Until park hours go back to normal i think villas are the way to go if you have a party larger than 2.

Dizzydolphin.com gets great reviews from DVC members and they can add platters of meats, cheeses, dips, fruit kabobs, pastries and other specialty items to your grocery order so that you have easy-to-serve appetizers and snacks. It won’t be the same as club level but you can still make this trip special in its own way.

As a forced make-your-own CL person myself, we used Garden Grocer delivery for our food on our BLT and Poly stays this summer. Had previously never used a delivery service (the idea of groceries and vacation are mixed concepts to me!). But I loved the service and saved a ton of money over our usual CL and Disney dining habits. Their website is very user friendly, lots of selection, they were quick with texts on status, etc. Had no issues with alcohol delivery. I suspect GG is not the cheapest option, from what I've read on the boards over the years, but if I'm not mistaken they are locally owned so I thought maybe sending my business their way over the big chains was a good thing to do right now (I could be wrong on that last point about them being locally owned).

PPs have given good other options as well.

Have fun!

It's so hard to choose. Our stay starts on Sunday and we are booked for a studio at the Riviera. I've been stalking the passholder discount page forever and finally today a Poly Villa studio popped up. I'm so torn but I think we'll stick with the Riviera.

As a forced make-your-own CL person myself, we used Garden Grocer delivery for our food on our BLT and Poly stays this summer. Had previously never used a delivery service (the idea of groceries and vacation are mixed concepts to me!). But I loved the service and saved a ton of money over our usual CL and Disney dining habits. Their website is very user friendly, lots of selection, they were quick with texts on status, etc. Had no issues with alcohol delivery. I suspect GG is not the cheapest option, from what I've read on the boards over the years, but if I'm not mistaken they are locally owned so I thought maybe sending my business their way over the big chains was a good thing to do right now (I could be wrong on that last point about them being locally owned).

PPs have given good other options as well.

Have fun!

we are total CL lovers as well. We're really going to miss it next week, but hey a day in Disney beats sitting around here on my computer :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter