Resort Change by Disney

Not sure how many will see this, but here’s what I was told...

POR stay 8/29-9/6. Booked with free dining now the 35% offer. 6.5hrs on hold for GS and hit the “magical updates” wall. Great. The GS associate told me that, when the system is back up, I can switch at no cost and a POSSIBLE reduction (since we had Royal Room) to CBR or Wilderness Cabin as they are the only moderates open at that time and, prior to the system going down, had availability. I could upgrade to deluxe and pay any difference but KEEP my 35% discount. I could also reduce my stay (as we are thinking of cutting it from 8 night to 5) and KEEP the discount.

We cannot cancel the resort stay and keep our tickets though. They are married. If I cancel, I cancel but then it’s up to chance if I can buy tickets at a later date as those are not for sale now. This would also cause me to lose my park selections/reservations I made on MDE this morning.

Lastly, the GS associate said I could leave my reservation sit for now at POR. If POR announced to open at a later date, prior to my stay, I still have it. If it doesn’t, and I MUST CALL IN to adjust the reservation and no other moderates are available (meaning CBR and cabins are full), I will be upgraded to an AVAILABLE deluxe/villa.

Hope that helps some of you!

Not sure how many will see this, but here’s what I was told...

POR stay 8/29-9/6. Booked with free dining now the 35% offer. 6.5hrs on hold for GS and hit the “magical updates” wall. Great. The GS associate told me that, when the system is back up, I can switch at no cost and a POSSIBLE reduction (since we had Royal Room) to CBR or Wilderness Cabin as they are the only moderates open at that time and, prior to the system going down, had availability. I could upgrade to deluxe and pay any difference but KEEP my 35% discount. I could also reduce my stay (as we are thinking of cutting it from 8 night to 5) and KEEP the discount.

We cannot cancel the resort stay and keep our tickets though. They are married. If I cancel, I cancel but then it’s up to chance if I can buy tickets at a later date as those are not for sale now. This would also cause me to lose my park selections/reservations I made on MDE this morning.

Lastly, the GS associate said I could leave my reservation sit for now at POR. If POR announced to open at a later date, prior to my stay, I still have it. If it doesn’t, and I MUST CALL IN to adjust the reservation and no other moderates are available (meaning CBR and cabins are full), I will be upgraded to an AVAILABLE deluxe/villa.

Hope that helps some of you!
Thank you for sharing this information! I have a POFQ reservation 11/27-12/9 and was wondering if I should call/leave it be/re-book/etc. Thanks so much!

Do you guys know what happens to park reservations if you end up cancelling your resort reservation? I’m booked at CBR right now, but with all of the craziness with people being on hold for 5+ hours, I’m thinking of booking at the Waldorf Astoria (which happens to be cheaper for my dates). But I don’t want to lose my park reservations. Would waiting to cancel until they open for ticket holders be the better choice?

I think if you book during this onsite reservation time and then cancel, they will cancel those. That is how it worked with FPs. The only thing you might be able to try...but it is risky, is check to see if things are still available when it opens up to everyone and cancel and rebook then...this way, you no longer got them as part of the early time.

Got Sept ASMo moved to Pop. No change in rate. Actually went down a few $ since I think tax between the 2 properties is slightly different. Was right at 4hr mark.
I called today for the same situation and they said there was nothing they could go.. argh!!! Did you call and ask to speak to a specific person or department?

I just got off the phone after a 5 hour, 40 minute wait to be told he can't do anything because the systems are down. When I told him if he could at least tell me what my options might be instead of POR in September, he said CBR or Coronado; obviously, that isn't correct since Coronado isn't even opening until late October. He didn't offer to take my number or anything, so I'll try again tomorrow. Good luck everybody!

also booked for POR in Sep. couldn’t get through today, will be trying again tomorrow. Not too keen on CBR, so interested to hear options.

also booked for POR in Sep. couldn’t get through today, will be trying again tomorrow. Not too keen on CBR, so interested to hear options.
Read my post up three from yours. Those are our options. CBR or Wilderness Cabin. Or pay for deluxe upgrade.

Yeah there are rooms available elsewhere that would work but they aren't approved to give out apparently. Kidani Villas show up for me but she checked and they wouldn't let her assign one to me. I mean, it would have been a lovely upgrade, but it was a lot more expensive than what I paid.
Just based on what others here and other threads reported, they look for something in your same room category. If there is nothing suitable, they are supposed to look at the next level room and absorb any up charge. AoA suites are unlike anything else in that category that would be open. They need to look at getting you into a cabin, suite, or DVC 1 bedroom. It sounds like you just need to talk to someone else.

Awesome, so right there by WL. Glad you got it worked out!

They first offered BWV but it had a king bed and a sofa bed. Hard no because DDs can't comfortably share the sofa bed (23 and 13 YO). Otherwise, I wouldn't have minded that!

I should have held on for Guest Services (she originally said she was going to switch me over but then kept coming back with ideas) but when she said my discount would carry I thought prices would be similar when she offered other DVC (they weren't). Then I asked about AoA suites and I was tired and booked it paying the extra (DDs love that resort). Few hours later not feeling great about it, so I booked a Shades of Green reservation and already feeling much better! As soon as I can link the reservation and make sure our park reservations won't be canceled, I'll cancel AoA.
When you call back, before canceling, maybe ask about the up charge. My understanding is that if you’re keeping the same dates, they need to move you to a comparable room suitable for your party size at no charge. CM’s, while helpful and in a tough place lately, are notorious for misinformation.
Good luck!

I called today for the same situation and they said there was nothing they could go.. argh!!! Did you call and ask to speak to a specific person or department?

I also called for a Sept ASMu to Pop and was quoted $100 difference I’d need to pay. $100 EVEN which was weird. I asked fir GS and held 5 hrs until I lost the call in a dead zone. Yeah, $100 isn’t much but it’s the principle and may be my deciding factor in cancelling if I can’t get moved.

I called today about my October All-Star Music reservation. Ideally, I would have liked to move it to November, but I was told the only resorts I could change my reservation to were deluxe resorts... He listed the properties that reopened today, minus Fort Wilderness. I specifically asked about Ft. Wilderness, and he said they weren't taking reservations. I asked about Pop Century, and he essentially said that it was just speculation that the other resorts would open by then. He understood when I explained if I have booked a military discount mid-week value stay, there's no way I can afford the deluxe DVC properties. So I am still booked for an October 6 through 8 All-Star stay for now.

So this is how my day went. Hopefully it will give some hope and praying that tomorrow will be a better day for you. We were scheduled at YC standard view aug12-aug16th. Tried calling numerous times since 7am and finally got through on 407-939-5277 at 1:30 pm. CM picked up in about 5 minutes and I told her I was checking on my YC stay. She said resort would be closed and did I want to modify dates. Told her no so she said she would transfer to guest services and would be 2 hour wait. GS picked up 3.5 hours later. Was offered Poly or CR (which was wide open with all room types) at no extra charge. So decided on poly. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone tomorrow 🤞🤞

Posting my experience... I waited 2 hrs this morning only to be disconnected, called back in, waited another 2 hrs, then was transferred to the "help line." I had been told a 100 minute wait before he transferred me but once I got past 2.5 hours, I decided I was done hovering over my phone, and was gonna take the risk of a dropped call and go hiking with the kids. Shockingly, the call never dropped and we got to hike to Indiana Jones and It's a Small World for a couple hours :P Finally someone picked up around 7+ hours total.
Our trip is in September and we were booked at FQ in a Garden View room with the 35% room discount. I told the CM that our hotel would be closed and she said our options were FW Cabin or CBR preferred room. I took the preferred room and she said there was no fee to move. She confirmed the details and it was updated immediately in MDE. I was so thankful it was quick and painless once she finally answered!! Good luck to everyone still trying to get through tomorrow!

I'm so sorry for those of you who have upcoming stays and were on hold for so long today without resolutions :(. I just dealt with the park reservation fiasco this morning for 2.5 hours so I can't imagine being on hold for hotels...the best of luck to all of you in the coming days!

I do have a question for your opinions- I have a package booked for 11/27-12/9 at POFQ. Obviously nothing was mentioned about when/if it'll open. The resort opening calendar only goes through 10/14...so if you were in my shoes would you wait it out 'til the stay got closer or would you inquire about changing the resort now? I'm a bit hesitant to call now since it's still so far out, but if I called, I'd likely want to do it before new reservations could be booked "later this summer". Also worried about paying any upgrades should Pop or AoA or CS gets booked. Any opinions are appreciated :).
I got up in wee hours and booked more of my parks. It froze me at 8 days and cm said I should be able to book them so I tried.

The resort change button is back. It didn’t work for my July or August trips but I could change resort for my October one. I decided to keep Poly cl since they still offering it at the resorts those dates.

I’d move to CBR if I was you. If they reopen POR/FQ later you could always move back.

Ok gonna try to get some sleep lol. 7am here soon enough and I have to call again.

When you call back, before canceling, maybe ask about the up charge. My understanding is that if you’re keeping the same dates, they need to move you to a comparable room suitable for your party size at no charge. CM’s, while helpful and in a tough place lately, are notorious for misinformation.
Good luck!
Thank you :). I'm probably going to keep my new reservation but I might ask when I call about the ASMo November trip. Today my head is much clearer than yesterday. In hindsight, I should have waited a day.

After all the reading here - thanks everyone for the great advice!! - I did know what I should have done. I think I was just so tired at that point I stopped caring (this was phone call #2). The CM was very nice and seemed knowledgeable (and did say I'd need Guest Services right from the get-go when I said my resort would be closed) but I'm sure they were all overwhelmed, and she was trying to be helpful. In my brain, I thought we'd get the lateral move and when I didn't, I just wanted to be done.

Talked with the family last night. DH wanted to stay at SOG (besides our original WL reservation - his bucket list resort) so I think we're going to keep it. Turns out DD13 doesn't care where we stay - she is happy she can now have her own bed LOL. Adult DD wants the Disney hotel, but she'll get to stay at one in November (it's a mother/daughter weekend).

I hope everyone who is calling today has great luck!! :)

Do you guys know what happens to park reservations if you end up cancelling your resort reservation? I’m booked at CBR right now, but with all of the craziness with people being on hold for 5+ hours, I’m thinking of booking at the Waldorf Astoria (which happens to be cheaper for my dates). But I don’t want to lose my park reservations. Would waiting to cancel until they open for ticket holders be the better choice?

I was booked at CBR and told them I’m not paying another $1k to move to a deuce just because they decided not to open any moderates during my stay. They moved us to the contemporary no charge since no moderates were open.

I did say that if I were to be moved to Pop I would just cancel the hotel portion because I can her day the Marriott for the same price and might be nicer. She said if you have a package and cancel the room, you also cancel the tickets - they can’t separate the two.

I feel your pain and frustration. I'm supposed to arrive in 18 days and I'm still on hold. I'm exhausted, and all I've done is wait on hold all day, but the uncertainty is tiring. I'm so frustrated that there wasn't any sort of way to give priority access to those who have arrivals within the next 30 days.
I agree. They should have totally done it on a rolling basis of some sort.
They also should have done the same with park reservations.

Good luck with getting this resolved today! Hope you get the Contemporary!

Back at it again today. Was told last night the systems were down, couldn't help me. I'm scheduled to stay at CBR end of July, right before the resort opens. The CM said I "might" be able to switch to Pop. This is not ideal, so we'll see. Last night I told myself I was just going to cancel the reservations for this summer, yet here I am.

Back at it again today. Was told last night the systems were down, couldn't help me. I'm scheduled to stay at CBR end of July, right before the resort opens. The CM said I "might" be able to switch to Pop. This is not ideal, so we'll see. Last night I told myself I was just going to cancel the reservations for this summer, yet here I am.
Back at it again, myself! Called exactly at 7 and am currently on hold. There were more prompts this morning to confirm guest information. I tried calling on another line at the exact same time and already got met with the busy signal. Here's for hoping for the best this time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter