Resort Change by Disney

From TA FB reports so far, guests who are trying to modify, as of this morning, are not being offered any type of blanket discount due to the closures. I believe some were trying to see if they could still get Sun and Fun added, but I'm not sure what the outcome of that was.

I guess I wasn't clear .... I'm not talking about anyone who is trying to modify their reservations. If you as a guest initiate a change that is a different process than if Disney is trying to initiate a change on you.

What I was talking about is those who it is "rumored" will be contacted by Disney offering them a move to a deluxe or to cancel. Why would anyone cancel? unless they have to pay the full price of move OR are they offering the move with a discount such as the 35% discount being offered to those losing Free Dining, but it might still be too much? Those that are paying full price for their deluxe may well feel "disadvantaged" if Disney is moving a large number of guests there who are paying considerable less then them with no upcharge.

It would be why I said if you still want to go I would do nothing and put this in Disney's court to make you an offer.

I guess I wasn't clear .... I'm not talking about anyone who is trying to modify their reservations. If you as a guest initiate a change that is a different process than if Disney is trying to initiate a change on you.

What I was talking about is those who it is "rumored" will be contacted by Disney offering them a move to a deluxe or to cancel. Why would anyone cancel?
unless they have to pay the full price of move OR are they offering the move with a discount such as the 35% discount being offered to those losing Free Dining, but it might still be too much? Those that are paying full price for their deluxe may well feel "disadvantaged" if Disney is moving a large number of guests there who are paying considerable less then them with no upcharge.

Yes, totally agree and I'm sorry if I was confused. Two different things and what you describe is in line with Disney's typical protocol. If you initiate the change, you are typically subject to current terms/conditions/prevailing rates. If Disney initiates the change (and would like to move you and not outright cancel on you) it's usually done complimentary (I've never heard of anyone being told they have to change and being made to pay an upcharge - it's usually called "pixie dust"!). But, then again, these moves are done during times when they have the inventory to offer free lateral or upgrade moves. I don't know if that's the case now?

It seems like the difference now is, with the rolling "your reservation has been impacted" e-mails, the protocol has changed slightly - the choices now are 1) modify to an open resort at prevailing rates or 2) cancel/be auto-canceled. I wonder now if, instead of upgrading guests for free, if certain resorts are not opening - will they simply tell them they can modify at prevailing rates or have their reservation cancelled? I feel like that's where we may be headed. I don't know!

While I completely understand the situation, I find it interesting that everyone who has booked and reserved throughout the year are now waiting on NBA/MLS to solidify their plans before before "regular people" can find out what's left for us.

Even if the NBA/MLS didn't come all resorts were not opening on July 11th. They only change which resorts may be the ones open.

Yes, totally agree and I'm sorry if I was confused. Two different things and what you describe is in line with Disney's typical protocol. If you initiate the change, you are typically subject to current terms/conditions/prevailing rates. If Disney initiates the change (and would like to move you and not outright cancel on you) it's usually done complimentary (I've never heard of anyone being told they have to change and being made to pay an upcharge - it's usually called "pixie dust"!). But, then again, these moves are done during times when they have the inventory to offer free lateral or upgrade moves. I don't know if that's the case now?

It seems like the difference now is, with the rolling "your reservation has been impacted" e-mails, the protocol has changed slightly - the choices now are 1) modify to an open resort at prevailing rates or 2) cancel/be auto-canceled. I wonder now if, instead of upgrading guests for free, if certain resorts are not opening - will they simply tell them they can modify at prevailing rates or have their reservation cancelled? I feel like that's where we may be headed. I don't know!

Moving a guest here and there for free is no big deal but if we are talking about thousands I just don't see them doing it for free when they could potentially sell that room with the limited inventory / demand. And from what I heard the offers will vary based on the guest so we can't even say it will be this or that. I think it's the million dollar question.

I am not surprised by the email terms now, I don't think they have the finances or space to just move that many people for free. It was always a head scratcher for me that they would move that many for free and like I said if it's free no one is going to cancel and where will that leave them?

Another good reason for this discussion, I think too many are waiting for that call expecting to move up but pay the same ... better to be ready with lots of questions such as can you get a discount for a room at a later date if you let them cancel you? Or if they upgrade, can you use the same 35% discount they are offering Free Dining?

Without any really solid answers be ready for anything. :goodvibes

Another interesting thing that stood out for me in all this, is that just after the announcement, I played around with dates on my August booking and August 3rd on had availability at only a few non dvc resorts, Yacht, Contemporary, CBR, and I believe AOA with one other value/mod. July was only DVC resort modification.

the rolling "your reservation has been impacted" e-mails, the protocol has changed slightly - the choices now are 1) modify to an open resort at prevailing rates or 2) cancel/be auto-canceled.
The guests receiving the rolling cancellation emails aren't eligible to be moved -- their dates are during the closure period. They are receiving the same treatment as the late May cancellations (when the free dining offer was pulled).

I would expect guests with reservations after the re-opening, but at closed resorts, would be offered a move gratis.

The guests receiving the rolling cancellation emails aren't eligible to be moved -- their dates are during the closure period. They are receiving the same treatment as the late May cancellations (when the free dining offer was pulled).

I would expect guests with reservations after the re-opening, but at closed resorts, would be offered a move gratis.

Great point. I really hope so!

So, a member over on Touring Plans chat stated that they were able to move their 6/15 reservation to BCV in October with a 35% discount. They did confirm they were only able to book at FW or DVC.

ETA: They had the FD recovery packaged booked from a canceled spring break trip.

I guess I feel like they have to have something up their sleeve. I was one the recovery FD people. Now my end of July reservation has 35% off. Why go to the effort of changing my reservation if you are just going to cancel it a week or so later? Fingers crossed they have some kind of plan...

Hoping the Mouse takes pity on our July 10th arrival :rotfl:

I guess I feel like they have to have something up their sleeve. I was one the recovery FD people. Now my end of July reservation has 35% off. Why go to the effort of changing my reservation if you are just going to cancel it a week or so later? Fingers crossed they have some kind of plan...
This is my question. If they are going through as we've heard manually changing reservation to take off a FD and adding in a 35% discount and (in my case) sending out "A payment has been made on your vacation" email to reflect the new total and refund and even process my refund to only turn around and cancel the whole thing! But I'm at CBR and am not so patiently waiting to hear. :confused:

I want that e mail! I think it must be travelling to Wales by 🐐 or donkey.
I also received the same email on 5/29, staying at Pop last week of July. I received a similar email today (6/5). My Disney Experience still shows us at Pop, but a few days ago the reservation/Confirmation numbers changed. From all numeric to alphanumeric. I don't know if that means anything. We booked our hotel and tickets separately, not a package.

People who didn’t need reservations changed due to elimination of the dining plan would not be receiving another confirmation right now.

It has been reported that those that did will be getting them to reflect no dining plan. Because the WDW resort run hotels are still closed, those new confirmations are nothing more.

It isn’t an indication one way or the other if that means the resort will be open for your stay.

Since no announcement has been made as to when those resorts will open, all reservations are still in play unless Disney chooses to move you to an open resort or cancel you 7 days out if that resort remains closed.
I did not have a dining plan. I had booked tickets and POP separately, last week in July. My reservation numbers were changed for the hotel.

Even if the NBA/MLS didn't come all resorts were not opening on July 11th. They only change which resorts may be the ones open.

Exactly - They are going to stay somewhere from July to October. No matter where it is, that somewhere is no longer be available to regular guests who have booked those rooms.

You could say that the hotel that they use, wherever they are, may not have opened otherwise but Disney is opening and staffing a hotel for them for 4 months and forcing others to move.

We have the 4 day park tickets that was valid until August 12 now is showing valid until September 2021. Why? Hope they are not planning on canceling our reservation. Or maybe they think we will cancel.
Same happened to us. We had 4 day park tickets for specific days, starting July 27. They now expire 9/26/21.

Seeing as we have a GDT room reserved last week of September/early October and the NBA rumors that they will take that resort and the dates would have to push out to mid-October finish, I do expect (and I mean expect) an upgrade at no cost to me. I would have had no issue with them offering a cost upgrade if it were only due to Coronavirus and the resort not being open or otherwise a cancellation. But if I get pushed out because of NBA taking my room and don't get a free upgrade, I'll be quite upset.

Same happened to us. We had 4 day park tickets for specific days, starting July 27. They now expire 9/26/21.
All date-based tickets have been adjusted to expire on that day. I think it’s just easier for Disney to adjust the expiration date than it is to issue a massive number of refunds.

I sure hope so. We would never be able to afford to pay for an upgrade. There's a reason we're at the All-Star resort. :sad1:
Same here. We are at Pop. If we have to pay to upgrade, we will opt to cancel. The thought of that makes me sad because we booked ours on a Bounce back last August. I'm trying to wait patiently. I talked to a CM on chat last night. She told me not to worry about being cancelled as there was no word about that happening. Our dates are 7/31 to 8/8. She said we would see our adjustment very soon.
I want to know something soon so we can make other plans if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter