Resort Change by Disney

No problem. It is hard to keep it all straight. I am going to assume that 2 bedrooms at OKW or SSR might be choices for families of 6, and those do tend to be the ones booking up last for DVC.

I just hope they begin to let people know.
Especially those mid to late July...but they may also want to have the info regarding park reservations up first.

Oooh - I'd love that upgrade! You and me both. July 11 really isn't that far off.

Overwhelming probably understatement, I can't imagine.

Personal take:

Disney Parks won't be able to truly open up and operate with just DVC units. That could essentially mean that the only units that Disney might have access to to move guests would be quite small and they'd have to cancel most reservations. Honestly why even open the parks at all if you are only going to have the DVC units open? That wouldn't make sense. I know DVC people who don't even go to the parks.

From my experience even some Disney TAs don't get all the little details of what makes up Disney. They might read it as DVC but maybe they don't differentiate that most DVC are actually at hotels (what 7 are at hotels, 3 are stand alone?).

If they are moving folks they will have to figure out the bigger parties first as to where they fit (which is where DVC might fit in) then once they run out of larger rooms, will some get cancelled?

I think the bigger question now is when will moderates and values open? Will they try to open some in July? to keep reservations or maybe just move folks to a couple, keeping a couple closed? Or go with what is being talked about inside, not yet. We don't know, only that they have to keep park capacity down and that means much reduced hotel occupancy ... so why open them all.

I think if they are opening the DVC in June, all the deluxes attached will open with them in July.

Great insights, HopperFan!

Oof. My husband and I are just now after nearly 4 years of being married able to go on our late honeymoon and first vacation. We were barely able to scrape up to go to All-Star Music and we're super excited for the chance. Honestly, we'll never be able to afford probably any higher than a value resort as teachers, and it would make me so sad if we got canceled instead of moved. My gut tells me that not opening any values or moderates seems extreme, but there is a bias there. I just hope we hear something soon. We're only 51 days away from our trip and I don't know if I should be excited or hopeless. 😬

I really do have faith that Disney is going to do whatever they can to make sure those that still want to stay at WDW can stay at WDW. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that you will get to keep your reservation or get a super upgrade!

SO MUCH THIS which is why I keep repeating myself that this is a fluid situation because there are SO MANY components to getting the resort open. Once Disney sees something working or not working, the plan can change again.

I only share this so everyone is prepared - nothing worse than getting a call and be caught off guard. Take this info, process it in regards to POTENTIAL affects to your stay and be ready for whatever comes down the pike. Have your questions ready !!!! If transportation options are important be sure you ask all those questions about what will be available (and take names so if that ends up not true), ask about dining options at your resort if dining there is important ......... I am only trying to prepare you for what MIGHT be happening during your trip so you are ready with all your questions.

AND if they call to cancel you - press for what they will offer you on an upcoming trip, I'm sure they are ready for that question, so be proactive.

All I've heard from multiple sources is that they are using CSR. I believe another CM posted that it is actually blocked on on their hotel schedule for them. NBA Reporters are saying CSR even as late as yesterday. And it makes sense, it is a much nicer resort, the new tower, lots of dining option, convention space that could handle work out equipment etc. AND it is a much more secure resort. If Riviera is open, CBR is not secure. The last thing NBA wants is fans wandering in to the resort.

This is consistent with reporting that guests will not be given a choice. I think it is because they are working hard on each reservation to see what they can fit where while maintaining their plan for the hotels. Allowing guests to choose is simply too big a complication.

If Disney was to cancel our reservation, would you put it outside the realm of possibility for us to still get the "priority" reservations for the parks and just stay off site? Realistically we made the booking for onsite with the assumption that if Disney did reopen, resort guests would get first dibs at park admission (Because no way would people stay at Disney for 5+ days and not have the ability to attend at least one park).

If Disney was to cancel our reservation, would you put it outside the realm of possibility for us to still get the "priority" reservations for the parks and just stay off site? Realistically we made the booking for onsite with the assumption that if Disney did reopen, resort guests would get first dibs at park admission (Because no way would people stay at Disney for 5+ days and not have the ability to attend at least one park).

This is so out of the realm of normal I don't know and maybe they don't either. I think they will be figuring it out as they go once the initial group is there and they decide on capacity, hotels etc.

I stay mostly offsite after 140+ onsite stays (due to security check experience) and I personally wouldn't stay offsite without more guarantees of entering parks. As a passholder the last decade, and one who does do partial days due to my son's disabilities ... I wouldn't travel without being able to go every day because some days he can't go but I wouldn't know that until that day. Every family is different, so it might work if you only got a couple days there and then went to Universal, SW etc. Some folks say they want to try the other parks but staying onsite it just makes sense to do Disney. I think this is the year, if you stay offsite, to try all Orlando has to offer.

We are in the wild wild west right now and we can deduce things but I wouldn't bet on anything. But my gut is leaning towards they will be all about forgiveness later mentality no matter what they do, it is their way.

This is so out of the realm of normal I don't know and maybe they don't either. I think they will be figuring it out as they go once the initial group is there and they decide on capacity, hotels etc.

I stay mostly offsite after 140+ onsite stays (due to security check experience) and I personally wouldn't stay offsite without more guarantees of entering parks. As a passholder the last decade, and one who does do partial days due to my son's disabilities ... I wouldn't travel without being able to go every day because some days he can't go but I wouldn't know that until that day. Every family is different, so it might work if you only got a couple days there and then went to Universal, SW etc. Some folks say they want to try the other parks but staying onsite it just makes sense to do Disney. I think this is the year, if you stay offsite, to try all Orlando has to offer.

We are in the wild wild west right now and we can deduce things but I wouldn't bet on anything. But my gut is leaning towards they will be all about forgiveness later mentality no matter what they do, it is their way.

Alright I guessed as much, was really hoping to be able to at least go to each park once during our stay, but if it's not in the cards we will likely end up heading to Universal and booking a stay at one of their resorts. I guess my fear is the system just wont have the option to give us priority reservations without having an onsite reservation (assuming they go with the moving to DVC plan). If that's the case we will be pressing Disney hard for some future goodies for a 2021 trip.

Alright I guessed as much, was really hoping to be able to at least go to each park once during our stay, but if it's not in the cards we will likely end up heading to Universal and booking a stay at one of their resorts. I guess my fear is the system just wont have the option to give us priority reservations without having an onsite reservation (assuming they go with the moving to DVC plan). If that's the case we will be pressing Disney hard for some future goodies for a 2021 trip.

I just don't think they will give any one any promises. It's up to us to decide if we want to roll the dice.

Not to venture off into “rumors” or “DVC” land, but I still have to say I think it’s pretty crap if Disney doesn’t offer at least one value and moderate option this summer. People book the level of resort they want not just because of the room price, but because of the dining options (and associated costs) they want.

Cramming all guests into DVC/Deluxe resorts with limited dining options and at dining price points they may not desire or have budgeted for is not a great solution for anybody. And one made potentially worse by with the new park reservation system further limiting dining options.

Add to that the idea of Disney creating cost-saving solutions for their cash stay business on the backs of their obligations to DVC guests (who they’re also boxing in with restrictive point extensions and opportunities for usage). Also, again, decreasing the experience of DVC owners too by increasing occupant at resorts with reduced services/dining options.

All in all, the business model is just plain yucky and decidedly un-Disney. So, yeah, if this is the path Disney takes, we won’t be visiting this summer in hopes of saving the “magic” for our family and not having it marred by some of the financial choices Disney seems on the verge of making. My opinion only, but wanted to express it.

How would Disney contact those who booked using an online travel website, such as Orbitz, and not an actual TA? I'm worried that we might get cancelled because those websites never have reliable customer service agents who would likely call me. We do have our reservation linked on MyDisney Experience, and I completed the online check-in, but I know Disney usually can't alter those reservations without consent from the original booking company.
Ugh! I just want to be sweating my booty off and with a hot face mask, no character interactions, modified restaurants, no fireworks, and limited rides- all while reeking of hand sanitizer and sunscreen. Is that too much to ask?!? ;)

Last edited:
Not to venture off into “rumors” or “DVC” land, but I still have to say I think it’s pretty crap if Disney doesn’t offer at least one value and moderate option this summer. People book the level of resort they want not just because of the room price, but because of the dining options (and associated costs) they want.

Cramming all guests into DVC/Deluxe resorts with limited dining options and at dining price points they may not desire or have budgeted for is not a great solution for anybody. And one made potentially worse by with the new park reservation system further limiting dining options.

Add to that the idea of Disney creating cost-saving solutions for their cash stay business on the backs of their obligations to DVC guests (who they’re also boxing in with restrictive point extensions and opportunities for usage). Also, again, decreasing the experience of DVC owners too by increasing occupant at resorts with reduced services/dining options.

All in all, the business model is just plain yucky and decidedly un-Disney. So, yeah, if this is the path Disney takes, we won’t be visiting this summer in hopes of saving the “magic” for our family and not having it marred by some of the financial choices Disney seems on the verge of making. My opinion only, but wanted to express it.

You make some really good points. The dining aspect never occurred to me but you are exactly right - when it comes to dining, a switch from, say, POP to BCV is a significant change.

If I was a local, maybe..but being out of state makes the dice roll harder to make..Thanks for the help Hopper!

After decade I let our APs expire, with reality of getting them again in September. Our FL house is 1.5 hours away so we could drive over for day but I like getting three full days out of two hotel nights. Now, with no guarantee that I could get all three days in a row being offsite, or grab a day with no advance planning ......... we will not get passes again until 2021.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think they hope there are lots more like you that will cancel.

They are going to have to make some decisions strictly on their financials that involves resorts occupancy to parks restricted capacity. I think part of the problem is that they have now put DVC at these resorts and they have a big commitment to DVC owners to open all of them. So when you have to reduce hotels open, makes sense the deluxe attached to them have to open. Then you go to the next level of thought of who is closed .... moderates; go after the two sports leagues that need a place and you can provide the venues to fill one. They get cash flow on the ground at WDW and am sure via ESPN deals. If you are going to open another for public - I think it would be Riverside or maybe just French Quarter to keep numbers down. Values; maybe Allstars but then right now you could go full force on renovating those rooms with it closed. If you open POP AoA or CBR guests will expect Skyliner but what if you don't want to operate it. No park hopping eliminates one use for it.

Like dominoes, every decision leads to another decision. You go with the ones that upset the least number of people and leave you in a comfortable place financially. They know there will always be someone upset and they are hoping long term forgiveness.

Just stepping back with info we have, what's coming out the cracks and trying to look at the whole picture is all we have. But you never know, if capacity options change and they think they can handle more hotel guests, maybe they will decide to open more hotels.

My suggestion is if you have a reservation DO NOT CANCEL if you still want to go based on current park operating information. If they don't open hotels and offer you a move, then you make your decision then. But if they do open more hotels to keep more reservations then you have yours. (you meaning anyone) I do know that is a risk if you have airline tickets.

Last edited:
I'm also curious about how they will handle parking fees for those moved. Since there's a $10 difference per night between value and deluxe/DVC, some notations or price adjustments will have to be made. Don't get me wrong- I would gladly pay the extra $10 if we were moved from a value to a deluxe, but that would also be $50 increase in our parking costs.

After decade I let our APs expire, with reality of getting them again in September. Our FL house is 1.5 hours away so we could drive over for day but I like getting three full days out of two hotel nights. Now, with no guarantee that I could get all three days in a row being offsite, or grab a day with no advance planning ......... we will not get passes again until 2021.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think they hope there are lots more like you that will cancel.

They are going to have to make some decisions strictly on their financials that involves resorts occupancy to parks restricted capacity. I think part of the problem is that they have now put DVC at these resorts and they have a big commitment to DVC owners to open all of them. So when you have to reduce hotels open, makes sense the deluxe attached to them have to open. Then you go to the next level of thought of who is closed .... moderates; go after the two sports leagues that need a place and you can provide the venues to fill one. They get cash flow on the ground at WDW and am sure via ESPN deals. If you are going to open another for public - I think it would be Riverside or maybe just French Quarter to keep numbers down. Values; maybe Allstars but then right now you could go full force on renovating those rooms with it closed. If you open POP AoA or CBR guests will expect Skyliner but what if you don't want to operate it. No park hopping eliminates one use for it.

Like dominoes, every decision leads to another decision. You go with the ones that upset the least number of people and leave you in a comfortable place financially. They know there will always be someone upset and they are hoping long term forgiveness.

Just stepping back with info we have, what's coming out the cracks and trying to look at the whole picture is all we have. But you never know, if capacity options change and they think they can handle more hotel guests, maybe they will decide to open more hotels.

My suggestion is if you have a reservation DO NOT CANCEL if you still want to go based on current park operating information. If they don't open hotels and offer you a move, then you make your decision then. But if they do open more hotels to keep more reservations then you have yours. (you meaning anyone) I do know that is a risk if you have airline tickets.
No offense taken at all. In my “non-Disney” life, I’m an exec in another industry and get the finance side of things all too well (which is also why I’m also particularly sensitive to a cynical financial play that cuts at core product/customer experience, but I digress). At the end of the day, everything is business, even your vacations (sigh). I admittedly do not understand Disney’s costs, but I do understand the revenue side a bit. I am currently booked in at a price roughly 4X of what my value/moderate replacement upgrade client would be. If they want to get rid of me and the revenue I bring, that’s a bit concerning. I see a lot of smart things they are doing (I.e. apparently writing down implementation of this “Genie” system as a COVID cost), but to gamble with both your deluxe and DVC clientele is, I think, risky to the point of desperation. And worrisome to someone who still intends to be long term consumer/investor. But, again, I’m Disney for the long haul, so if I have to sacrifice this summer‘s trip to keep that relationship intact, so be it.

Truly appreciate your response and perspective! These are clearly unprecedented times for all of us and Disney is no exception.

If anyone has had experience with Disney initiating a resort change, I would appreciate your thoughts. Yesterday it was mentioned that some of the resorts would not open. If my resort was not going to open, is it possible that Disney would just move me to another resort of their choosing, or do you think I would have some kind of choice?

For those who are wondering which Walt Disney World Resort Hotels may be opening first some interesting information was released yesterday. One of Disney's employee unions stated that employees are being called back to work on June 14th for some resorts.

Here is a summary:

"The union stated that workers (at locations including Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney’s Boardwalk Inn, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney Springs, Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, Disney’s Old Key West Resort, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, Disney’s Riviera Resort, Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, and Disney’s Beach Club Resort) are being called to resume work on June 14."

Link: https://insidethemagic.net/2020/06/...zyUe-adDC1Rwu8D4V75FLV1FGIGiIiJapV94EwYWThE_U

How do you find out if you've been changed in the past, or now if it has happened to you? Phone call, email, MDE just ups and changes?

We have POR booked arriving 7/11/20 from being cancelled in March. I hope to hear something soon because if we are going to be cancelled I would like to make other vacation arrangements.

Our trip is in September. Since we are staying ina DVC on points I figure we are safe. I'm glad since it's one less worry. Now my only worry is will we be able to get in the parks with our six day tickets.
Same here! As per my signature, it's my first DVC trip. I feel like it was perfect timing, and lucky, as it was planned at 11 months. I would say we will get into the parks; perhaps not the THE park we want on a given day, so we need to be flexible. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter