• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reopenings at Aulani

But there are practical reasons for that (childcare, childcare workers) and honestly they were quite late on that compared to any comparably expensive resort in Hawaii. Dining has been underserved and BUSY for some time. I will assume that as someone mentioned above - Ama Ama doesn’t make them enough money and now that they can eek out almost $70 from 10 year olds at Makahiki they are in no rush and will wait till they absolutely have to to reopen (like Auntie’s).
I think $68 for 10+ is comparable to Disneyworld and Disneyland 3-course meal restaurants with a starter, entree and dessert.

How much time? The Four Seasons has all its high-end restaurants open...
Yup, and the Four Seasons is often a 50% premium to Aulani - not completely sure about the restaurants, but definitely for the hotel rooms.

Assuming they are 30 - 40% more expensive, with correspondingly higher wages for employees, it’s definitely easier to staff.

Not in any way defending Disney - one can argue they should raise rates and deal with lower profits (which will last for a long time if they go that route). Just saying that it’s completely understandable that they might have a long lead time to start back up.

Everywhere I go theses days, there are businesses impacted by employee availability. Not completely surprised it’s happening to Disney. They’ve never been a high paying employer - they rely on a combination of decent wages, brand image, and job security. But the last couple of years have hit the last two, so their wages aren’t enough of a draw. And I’m pretty sure Chapek has no intention on increasing wages until it’s way overdue.

Yup, and the Four Seasons is often a 50% premium to Aulani - not completely sure about the restaurants, but definitely for the hotel rooms.

Assuming they are 30 - 40% more expensive, with correspondingly higher wages for employees, it’s definitely easier to staff.

Not in any way defending Disney - one can argue they should raise rates and deal with lower profits (which will last for a long time if they go that route). Just saying that it’s completely understandable that they might have a long lead time to start back up.

Everywhere I go theses days, there are businesses impacted by employee availability. Not completely surprised it’s happening to Disney. They’ve never been a high paying employer - they rely on a combination of decent wages, brand image, and job security. But the last couple of years have hit the last two, so their wages aren’t enough of a draw. And I’m pretty sure Chapek has no intention on increasing wages until it’s way overdue.
I thought you might be exaggerating so I checked prices and your actually understating the price premium of the Four Seasons next door and that's comparing it to an Aulani cash booking.

I thought you might be exaggerating so I checked prices and your actually understating the price premium of the Four Seasons next door and that's comparing it to an Aulani cash booking.
In February I paid a little under 750 and booked with Amex so got free breakfast each morning for 2, 100 food credit and a guaranteed 4 PM late checkout - so you can get deals - but it varies wildly. And compared to the “free” of DVC it was expensive (lol)

Yeah, wanted to be a little conservative.

I used to stay at Four Seasons hotels while traveling for business all the time, and they were always priced at a premium, but now… wow! They’ve really decided to target the absolute top end of the market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter