renting a house instead of a resort

disney_me

disney fan
This will be our 3rd time at Disney in Dec. :banana: We always rent a house instead of going to a resort. The price is so much cheaper. We rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a heated (may cost more to heat) pool and hot tub for $825.00 a week. I love the house we rent. We always go back to the same great family to rent this house.
I don't mind having to drive abit to get to the parks. If I can save a buck thats what I'll do.

What are some of your thought on renting a home vs. going to a resort?

This house has everything you need!! Crib, highchair, stroller too. Also my DD princess: 9 loves all the pool toys to play with.

TRIPS TO WDW
10/04
2/05
12/05 :hourglass soon
2/07 in the works :cool1:

We have done both and we prefer to rent a house. It's close to the parks but yet we have our very own pool and an entire house to relax in. It's just a judgement call. I'm glad we have experienced both. We just love the house.

This will be the first time that we rent a house-we've always stayed onsite. I'm looking forward to the change. Our DD has brought a friend the past 2 years and is doing so again this June. Last year we had adjoining rooms @ CSR and while it was very nice, I really wanted more room. I especially like the washer/dryer and kitchen features that we will have in the house. We're renting a 4b/4b with pool @ Emerald Island. Where were ya'lls houses?

This is the web site of the home we rent. Its owned by a really nice family.
www.tuscan-ridge.com

The couple who own it are from the UK. You could not have a better person to deal with the the owner Gary Inglis. He called us a few times to make sure we were fine. The house is very clean. You have plenty of towels, pillows and blankets. Just look at the picture!! What you see is really what you get!!

And how nice is it to see hot air balloons in the morning as you enjoy coffee or tea out on the porch!! We saw them every morning coming over the back of the house.

We always had great luck with villas2go4.com. We stayed in two different places in Highlands Reserve in Davenport. It's a very nice community. Also, check out VRBO, vacation rentals by Owner.

We rented a house for our last trip as well. It was owned by a Pastor and it was just beautiful. We had 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, our own pool, jacuzzi and the works and only 10-15 minutes from the parks. We also made our meals, which I won't be doing next time. I'm on vacation to relax and enjoy it. I can cook when I get home...

I've NEVER stayed onsite so I want to try it for next time.

I'd just love the convenience of hopping on a bus and going to a park, not having to worry about renting a car, gas, traffic (or work areas - we had that last time), REMEMBERING where you parked, etc... I just want the onsite experience for once. I love the looks of the resorts and think it maybe seem more Magical staying at a Disney Resort. DD will love the water slide!!!

My sister and her family rented the same house in feb 05'.They loved it so much that my family and hers are renting it in feb 07' :jumping1:

:earsgirl: 68
dh :earboy2: 65
ds pirate: 88
dd princess: 97
ds pirate: 01

Okay , we have only been once and we got a deal on a timeshare.(tug2.com classifieds) It was wonderful. I think we were closer than some of the onsite hotels. It was Fairfield Bonnet Creek and it was fabulous!@!! The money saved went to enjoyment and memories. We were there 7 days and spent 325.00 on a 1 bed. condo with a queen pull out in the living room, full kitchen and dining 2 baths and laudry. We had a patio and were 100 steps from a fab pool. How much time do you spend in the hotel? The kids don't care where they sleep . They just want to have fun during the daytime. We had a great time and hope to go back some time soon. Best of luck!!

We stayed at a pool house for the first time on our last trip and I don't know if we can ever go back to paying more money to be cramped into a small hotel room onsite. Don't get me wrong, we enjoy how Disney has themed their resorts. We loved walking around Wilderness Lodge. However, once we got into our room we were cramped. And (putting flameproof suit on) the room was just a room--there really wasn't anything that special about it aside from the Mickey soap. Plus, it's just no fun trying to get toddlers/preschoolers to go to sleep with everybody in the same room. If you pick a good spot offsite, you can get to the parks quicker then most Disney transportation (or just as fast). The only downside to me was not having maid service. However, it wasn't that big a deal.

When my kids get older and we don't spend much time in our rooms, I could see going back to onsite occasionally. It's going to take a really good deal to lure me back, though.

I guess I'm the odd ball. DH and I rented a home on our honeymoon and although it was nice and spacious, we both felt we were missing out on being "in the action" at a Disney resort. Now if we were traveling with a family in tow, I could see the advantages of renting a house. But while it's just the two of us, it's on-site all the way!::MickeyMo

I agree with Shelby5514, if we were just the 2 of us I would definitely go for the "on-site" option.

Now however we're 5 people and most hotels do not cater for 5. Also our next trip will be for 3 weeks and who wants to be 5 of you squashed into a hotel bedroom for all that time.

We found our next rental on www.vrbo.com and got a great deal in Lindfields for 3 weeks for $1600! You'll never find hotel accommodation for that.

One of the advantages, to add to the list already here, is that if you want to stay up and read later than the kids is that you can do so without having to sit in the bathroom!

The other advantage is that you can go home with all the laundry already done which is always part of the big let down after a really great holiday. I know you can do that in a hotel too but at least you don't have to wait in line in the laundrette and feed the machine with coins.

I would definitely choose a rental over hotel accommodation with kids.

Hi Everybody!

We just bought our vacation home at the brand new Solana Resort. It has all the amenities of a hotel with a club house, concierge, community pool, cyber cafe and so much more. You can visit the Solana owner website at solana-resort.com

The website will have all the information on Solana Resort and a forum you will be able to ask the owners questions about the resort or renting a vacation home.

Had to pitch in my two cents. We've stayed in at least 20 different off-property houses and never on site. My sister and her husband did the Caribbean Resort and loved it (for an annivesary trip, just the two of them.) If I were to go just hubby & I we would definately stay on Property. However, what I love about renting a house is we can rent with other family or friends and can chill out with them at home instead of trying to stick together at parks. Our plan is we tour the parks with our own nuclear family and then meet at the house to eat dinner & swim nd play games. It is so wonderful. I hate trying to do the parks with 14 people but I like to vacation with family. It's the best of all worlds. Plus I dont get overloaded with noise. Any rambunctious behavior must be done in their own room!

That's a great idea. I never thought of travelling with friends that way. Last year we were in France with friends and rented a house together. We also did everything else together and it didn't always work for the best - I like the idea of meeting up at the end of the day together. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter