Renting a Car - Yes or No?

We always rent a car. We save so much time. Getting from a resort to a park, (other than MK) by car is so easy. The buses are extremely slow, upwards of an hour each way. If you are like me and want to spend as much time as possible in the parks a car is the way to go. Also, saving the time means you dont have to get up at the crack of dawn to get to a park for opening.
Another benefit is visiting the resorts. We like to eat at the signature restaurants and getting from resort to resort via Disney transportation is a nightmare.

I've been driving down for over 30 years and have never got back in my car after parking it at the resort except when doing split stays to move resorts. My thoughts, I'm on vacation, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere so using Disney transportation is no big deal. If I drive my car to a park, #1 I have to park where they tell me to park, which might not be close to the park so I'd have to take a tram, not much time saving or walking there. #2 If I decided to have a refreshing adult beverage, I wouldn't feel comfortable driving after, even if I only had one. #3 I hate traffic, I hate driving, I don't like getting a car that has been sitting in a parking lot all day in the sun, chances are that AC isn't going to get cool until I get back to the resort. I park hop every time I go, I don't have any problems using Disney transport to go back to the room mid-day if I want or go from park to park. Like I said, I'm on vacation, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. Heck, we've rented cars on dive vacations and once we get to our resort, we don't take it out again until time to get back to the airport. We use taxis if available or hotel shuttles. Only reason we rent a car is if they don't offer airport pickup (lots of out of the way countries don't).

We've been getting a rental car for many years, but these have been all-adults trips. Next year we're traveling with a couple of toddlers, and we're considering not renting a car due to the hassle of car seats. Dunno if Newbie Mouse has small kids on the trip, but it's something to think about. Otherwise, we'll continue to rent a car for our WDW trips. :earsboy:

Thanks, everyone. People tend to fall in the "never go near it" to "wouldn't do with out it" camps! I'm still undecided - it will cost about an extra $100 so I'm thinking maybe I should try it :confused3

We've been getting a rental car for many years, but these have been all-adults trips. Next year we're traveling with a couple of toddlers, and we're considering not renting a car due to the hassle of car seats. Dunno if Newbie Mouse has small kids on the trip, but it's something to think about. Otherwise, we'll continue to rent a car for our WDW trips. :earsboy:

We have two will-be 12 year old daughters. So no stroller issues or anything like that - but definitely can be whiners if their feet are tired or they're kept waiting too long :goodvibes

Thanks, everyone. People tend to fall in the "never go near it" to "wouldn't do with out it" camps! I'm still undecided - it will cost about an extra $100 so I'm thinking maybe I should try it :confused3

We have two 11 year old daughters. So no stroller issues or anything like that - but definitely can be whiners if their feet are tired or they're kept waiting too long :goodvibes

Well, there's a good reason to get a car. Standing around waiting for a bus when you're tired or hungry is the worst! At least if you have a car you can feel like you're making progress getting to your destination. :earsboy:

We always rent a car regardless of on-site or off-site stays :)

We like the freedom and flexibility afforded with having your own transport.

Our first trip we stayed at all star movies and did not have a car. We never felt the need for one, bus service was great. Our second trip a friend suggested ia car. At first we didn't consider it. This time we were headed to POR and since it was a resort with several stops we decided to try a car. We loved it and would never go back to buses. We even liked driving to MK. We took one bus all week, both times we had long waits, scooters on both, loading and unloading seemed to take forever after wishes. It Standing room only round trip. So much better to be sitting in our quiet car after a day with large crowds spent on our feet. We were able to tote along extra jackets, stroller, food etc. that we couldn't on the bus. For us it was the best $100 we spent.

We did almost exactly what you are doing and will do it again in March or June. We stay at Disney (POR) for 4 days or more and then move to a Universal resort, or vice-versa. You probably won't need the car at Universal once you get there. If it's at the end of the trip, you could return it, but that's more hassle and time than it's really worth. We really loved having a car at WDW. Previously, we had always stayed at Poly and took the monorail, boats, or buses. But our last trip to Poly the buses were always very slow and the monorail was being worked on. I think we were only able to take it once or twice. Driving to the parks is great. We took the bus to MK from POR last trip, but since we do RD, we are going to drive. If you get there early, then you probably don't need to take the TTC tram to get to your car.

It's so nice having the car at the park. If you don't want to hold something all day and don't want to deal with room delivery or picking it up on the way out, just take it to the car. Even if the traffic is bad getting out of the park at close, which we really didn't see, you have a nice cold/warm/dry place to sit while you are waiting. If you take the bus or monorail, you will be standing and most likely exposed to the elements. We also leave extra water and snacks in the car. It's nice to have that just in case. I like to drink tea in the morning, but I don't like to use disposable cups. I can bring my stainless steel mug in the car, finish my tea before we get to the park, and just leave the mug there. I usually bring in a refillable water bottle too, and I don't want to carry both around all day. We usually eat breakfast in the room. In a pinch, we can do the same in the car much easier than on a bus. It's also very nice to be able to drive to dinner at a different hotel, instead of having to pay for a cab, which isn't as cheap or easy at WDW as I think it should be.

We always rent. Good lord I can't stand the Disney buses. Fly into MCO, get on Magical Express, go to Dophin and get my rental car. If you have the $$ to do that, it's so worth it. Think about it...no bus lines with people complaining and the whole handicap thing with the extra hang on people..the stroller thing...who will not give a seat up etc. blah blah blah thing....no Monorail herds of people pushed like cattle into the cars... Some vision huh? Oh and how about that Ferry? Hordes of people cattle on the boat in this scenario. Nope. I've been on this earth too long for that and I'll always get myself a rental car. I thank the gods above that I can do this. I know it's not in the budget for many families and appreciate that but for me...a rental car. Always.

We are staying offsite on our next trip, so we have no choice. I was upset about not using Disney transport, but then I started realizing how much easier it will be to come and go on our own schedule, and not be waiting for buses. Also, I remember several times waiting for a bus, only to have the bus fill up before we could even get on it, and having to wait for another. Not the best way to spend my time!

A friend is in Disney now, and is using their transportation. She said it took her 1 hr and 40 minutes to get from her hotel to MK on Wednesday! That sealed the deal for me-much better off driving!

I'm going solo in January and I am renting a car. The thought of not having personal transportation freaks me out! It's a control issue, lol. Even if the car sits in the parking lot of the resort the whole time, just knowing that I could, at any time, easily hop into the car and do whatever I want whenever I want means the world to me.

I would do some searching and see what you can get for rates, you could find that it would not be all that much more $$ to have the car for a few days/week. Not sure of your dates, but search picking the rental up at the car care center and returning it to MCO or pick up at MCO for pick up and return. If you tweak the dates, you could end up with a price you can live with. It can be hit or miss, we have had times where getting the car at MCO was far cheaper than at the car care center and vice versa. An example, We will be there from before Christmas thru New Years this year and car rental rates are at the highest: getting an economy Alamo car from MCO for the trip was over $600, renting from car care center one less day and using Magical Express to get back to the airport was under $400.
As for having a car, we either drive our own or always rent for our trips. We always spend a few days at Universal, but we stay on property at WDW. The only park we use Disney Transportation is for MK. The rest, we save a ton of time driving ourselves to and from the resort. We always make a run or two to a box store to get water, pop and snacks and the money we save there usually will pay for a great portion of the car rental. If you go during peak seasons and use Disney Transportation, be prepared to be patient and expect long lines when going to/from the parks at popular times. This alone is the reason we rent a car. We have AP's and always park hop park to park each day. Our time there is valuable and I would venture a guess that the the rental car saves us close to an hour or more each day from waiting. This means more time is the park, pool or doing something we enjoy.....not standing in another line.

We have stayed onsite the past 6 or 7 visits now. Only once did we have a car and that's because we drove there. We used it to go to MK on arrival day and aside from one night a couple of us decided to go to DTD we didn't touch it the rest of our 10 day trip until we left to go home.

Our most recent family trip was at CBR which has tons of complaints about the transportation. We had a fabulous experience with the buses. 90% of the time we waited 5 minutes or less for a bus, only once was the wait over 10 minutes. Our transportation times, including the wait for the bus, were 14 minutes to HS, 19 to DTD, 17 to Epcot, 25 to MK and AK I can't recall the exact number but I believe it was close to the time for Epcot. It was definitely under 20 minutes. Could you save a few minutes by car, maybe, but we found in May dealing with the kids and carseats and hot cars and having to bring the stroller on the tram anyhow just wasn't worth the hassle. We've flown since and wouldn't consider the added expense of a rental.

Considering you can rent a car on Disney property though I'd probably suggest either figuring on renting just for the Universal part of your trip, or just trying it out and seeing how it goes. Not sure if it's necessary to book well in advance but you could always call and ask and see if a day or or day before rental might be possible.

it really is up to you, I usually drive to Disney from our house in Florida and NEVER use the car until we hop back in and leave....I love just hopping on a bus that's right outside the gate whenever I want to......and then when I fly, the cost is so much greater to rent.....I would rather spend money on fun stuff......but really only YOU can decide for yourself.....

I think I will pay the extra $100 and rent the car. I'll try the buses the first day or so and know I'll have the car in reserve if necessary. If we don't end up using it except to get to Universal and to/from the airport, I guess I won't do that again!

Thanks, everyone! :thanks:

1) Renting cars at MCO is CHEAP!

My experience, it *can* be cheap. Not always, though. :)

I didn't like driving to and from the airport.

Really? That's the easiest breeziest part of the whole thing for me! I take 417 to Disney and 528 if I'm going to (or from) Universal. Get a roll of quarters and 10 ones and the toll roads are simple.

it will cost about an extra $100 so I'm thinking maybe I should try it

Sounds good. Remember gas costs.

I've done it both ways. My best friend is an infrastructure geek and wanted to try out the buses, so we did. She was impressed. I'd rented a car at the Car Care Center, though. Later, we took the car for something, and we stopped taking the buses after that. ;)

Universal, though, IF you're onsite, know that there's a parking charge at the hotel every night. No way around it.

We like going to Publix, to Whole Foods, to GiftLand (and someday I'll get my guys to Waffle House next door), to Sweet Tomatoes. That freedom is important to us. And that's all on top of wanting to DRIVE to the parks (even MK...not necessarily for the morningtime, but for the evening when it seems that our bus is at the second to last bus stop, and there are 3 buses for other resorts for every 1 of mine, and it takes forever and is too cold or too hot or too bright or too dark or or or or...).

Always drive everywhere in WDW...even the MK. Be Happy. Rent a car at the airport and when your trip is over return to the airport. I usually rent a car at MCO while my family takes ME so we don't have to deal with luggage. Car allows you to go where you want, when you want. Shop for room provisions at regular prices.WDW is easy to navigate. Plus you'll have wheels to get you to US which is a short ride down I4.

Last edited:
We have done both (have stayed at POFQ 4 times and POR once) and found it took about the same amount of time to drive to/from the parks as to bus-it. Actually, after MK fireworks it took us longer to drive than the bus would normally take. Our trips are always at super-busy times, March Break and Christmas, so could be a different experience at other times of the year. We don't usually go off-site, so for us the car is not really worth it. Not having to cook,clean or drive for the duration of the trip is a big part of the magic! I like being in the Disney bubble!

We're definitely car people. One full, hot bus ride to MK next to a baby with a soiled diaper was enough to convince the boyfriend the expense was worth it for our trips thereafter. We still take the bus during random slow times of the day and if we split up, but we have found the wait to be painful. Even if it takes the same amount of time to get somewhere via bus, I rather spend it in an air conditioned, private vehicle.

I'm local, so we arrive in our car. My son had been using a wheelchair. So it was easier on me to drive then try to lug a Convaid Cruiser on the bus. He hasn't been using the chair since June, so we may give Disney transportation a try in January on our next stay.

I know for MK, the bus is definitely more convenient then driving to the TTC and hopping on a bus, monorail, or ferry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter