Rental Rates/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dean said:
how different than the rest of the timesharing world is distasteful to me and unfortunatley, confirms the reasons why DVC members tend not to be very highly thought of in the general timesharing community. They sometimes think they're better than everyone else and don't have to look at things the same way or follow the same rules. Like in exchanging discussions where DVC members assume they'll be first in line for ANY exchange.

just bought in last year I don't believe I am better than anyone else we bought this as pre payed vacations not as some status symbol just interested how do you know sometimes what we think are you physic if so send me the lottery numbers for next week

waltfan1957 said:
just bought in last year I don't believe I am better than anyone else we bought this as pre payed vacations not as some status symbol just interested how do you know sometimes what we think are you physic if so send me the lottery numbers for next week

No, Dean is not psychic- he's just had 11,266 posts since he became a member in August of 1999 and he's been around a LOT and seen the posts of other DVC members here. Don't take it personally.

By the way, you just made someone in heaven Very Very Happy that you resurrected his thread....yet again!

anniet said:
No, Dean is not psychic- he's just had 11,266 posts since he became a member in August of 1999 and he's been around a LOT and seen the posts of other DVC members here. Don't take it personally.

By the way, you just made someone in heaven Very Very Happy that you resurrected his thread....yet again!

so reading all those posts qualifies him to judge DVC members thought processes, thats just his opinion not fact, I don't take it personally even though you seem to have done so judging by the irrelevent info above

Actually doesn't Dean also own or has owned different timeshares other than DVC? Perhaps that is where he gets his knowledge. Agree with him or not, he has been very valuable to many of us with questions regarding timeshares, trading out, etc.

I raise a toast to a thread resurrected as well. I used to love reading Rich's posts. They mostly always made me laugh reading his thoughts. He is missed.

waltfan1957 said:
so reading all those posts qualifies him to judge DVC members thought processes, thats just his opinion not fact, I don't take it personally even though you seem to have done so judging by the irrelevent info above

Welcome to the Disney Vacation Club Forum on the Disboard-

You're gonna fit in great here! :)

waltfan1957 said:

Whoa!!! I am not sure where this post is coming from (maybe a continuation of something on another thread). In a later post you talk of not taking things personally....but, that is exactly what you are doing if you think Dean is talking about "you"....maybe he didn't mean you at all....but, unfortunately...he is right. DVC'ers ARE thought of as snobby by other timeshare owners....sometimes they are truly jealous, and sometimes the "entitlement" attitude carries over....then, there are those that truly believe that DVC is the BEST timeshare investment EVER, and are a little effusive in their excitement (umm....I resemble that remark!!), and it rubs other timeshare owners the other way.

There ARE disadvantages to DVC ownership....not having access to II is one of the biggies.

Either way....please don't attack Dean personally....many of us here depend on his knowledge, and I PROMISE he meant nothing personal to you....he is offering his experiences to those of us who know less. He doesn't deserve the kind of attitude expressed in your posts. Besides....we are a really "close knit" group over here....if someone attacks a "friend"....that IS something we take personally.

:wave:

Beca

P.S...."Hi, Rich"!!! :lmao:

waltfan1957 said:
Welcome, don't take it personally unless it applies to you which you said it didn't. I consider it factual that a certain element of the timesharing world feels that DVC and many of the members are aloof and have a sense they are better than timeshares in general, note, DVC members are not necessarily the only ones in this boat. I think one could add many members of Ritz, Marriott (all versions), Hyatt, Hilton to name a few. Here are some of the issues that I've come across to try to make this point.
  • Lets start with the fact that DVC charges II members an extra $95 fee just for services already provided for free for DVC members. To my knowledge, DVC is the only timeshare that takes this exact approach.
  • I've seen several DVC members that didn't even know they owned a timeshare including at least one post on this board a few years ago. I've even had a couple argue with me that DVC wasn't a timeshare. But at least this is changing to a degree.
  • It has been my experience that MANY DVC members are under the impression that all they have to do is ask for an exchange from II and it's their's. Partly arrogance and partly a case of being ill informed, IMO.

But specific to your post, I believe that to some people, owning DVC IS a status symbol.

And thanks to all who defended me and obviously understood where I'm coming from on these type issues.

waltfan1957 said:

Yes indeed welcome - seems like you are makling the assumptions and being shall we say a touch bombastic

cheers
jaysue

pirate:

jaysue said:
Yes indeed welcome - seems like you are makling the assumptions and being shall we say a touch bombastic

cheers
jaysue

pirate:

thanks for the welcome, been called alot of things but thats a new one for me but as dean has been defended and no other DVC member seems to have taken offence maybe I was a little hasty

waltfan1957 said:
thanks for the welcome, been called alot of things but thats a new one for me but as dean has been defended and no other DVC member seems to have taken offence maybe I was a little hasty

Wow!!! It takes a big person to admit that!!

Welcome!!!

Beca

Am I the ONLY person who freaked out to see a thread started by Richyams appear......

waltfan1957 said:
Hi Beca can you explain what II is have seen it in another post and don't know what it refers to, many thanks

Well, I can try. Interval International is a timeshare trading company. Basically, when you buy into a timeshare, ownership at many of those timeshares gets you ownership into a trading company (II is one of the biggies).

Individual membership means that you can contact the company directly (either phone or website), and trade use of your timeshare with someone who has listed theirs as well. Often, these trading companies will allow you to pay a VERY small fee, and get a week in a timeshare unit somewhere...sometimes these are short notice, and sometimes they are not. There are some REALLY amazing "specials" to be found if you have direct access to II. DVC trades with II, but only DVD has access to them. In order for a DVC member to trade with II, you have to go thru MS, and that leaves us no way to access some of the great "specials" this company offers.

Also, many people believe that WDW makes out BIG TIME in these trades. Say you own at BCV (a VERY high demand property), and you want to trade a week into II. DVC takes your BCV points, and usually deposits a week at OKW or SSR into II...not BCV. Then, they take that BCV week, and rent it out via CRO over a VERY high demand and high price time...like Easter or Christmas, and they make HUGE money on the villa that week.

Then, DVC finds someone who wants to trade for OKW or SSR (or rarely...BWV...at a LOW demand time), and you get their week at a timeshare. DVC sets a "standard" number of points that the trade will cost you, when you might could do much better yourself, if you had access to II. However, for me...the biggest benefit would be the "bargain weeks" that you can actually purchase if you are an II member.

Anyway...I'm not really the person to ask about this. DVC is my only timeshare, so I am not as savvy as someone who owns multiple properties...this is just the way friends have explained it to me.

If I am wrong...please, someone "chime in" to correct me here. Dean would probably be the best person on this....so, Dean....give us your thoughts.

Beca

waltfan1957 said:

Let's just chalk it up to the heat of the moment - glad to have you here

Cheers
jaysue

:smokin:

CarolA said:
Am I the ONLY person who freaked out to see a thread started by Richyams appear......

No CarolA, me too at least a little bit - his spirit lives on! Remember this is the man who could reach his fridge at BWV from the balcony due to the room being so small!

cheers
jaysue

:grouphug:

CarolA said:

No you're not. Every once in a while when this thread pops up, it freaks me out too. It's just surprising to see Rich's name pop up every now and then. Seems only natural that he stated a thread that will go on and............

HBC

I hope I'm not bringing up something I'm not supposed to, but I've not really been on the DVC boards a long time. I've heard the mention of Rich a few times. Has he passed on, or did he just leave the boards?

Happy Birthday Cat said:
No you're not. Every once in a while when this thread pops up, it freaks me out too. It's just surprising to see Rich's name pop up every now and then. Seems only natural that he stated a thread that will go on and............

HBC
I was sitting here thinking the same thing and didn't catch on until I really read it and saw the date.

jaysue said:

cheers
jaysue

pirate:

Bombastic, now there is word you don't hear too often. I love the intellect of this group. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter