Regrets on Resort choice based on price not desire?

Singinglizzie

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever stayed at a WDW resort based on price, that later regretted not spending the money for the resort they really wanted or did it work out better than expected??

Anyone ever stayed at a WDW resort based on price, that later regretted not spending the money for the resort they really wanted or did it work out better than expected??

That is one of the best questions in the World. No pun intended.

I love, love, love POR. In 2009, I took 2 girls from my local watering hole the week after Thanksgiving. That year, the 4/3 package came up and we bot SSR for $200.00 less. Wow.

Same location, same amentities, etc. But it just was not for us. I even took the girls down to POR two nignts and we knew it was just better for us.

It was wonderful to try something new, but it was not for me. So many wonderful choices at the world.

I guess I might have an answer for you come October. I think we finally decided to stay at All Star Music due to this being a quick and cheap trip. We have only stayed at WL, so I am hoping that we'll still love it even though it is not as "deluxe". I'll be at Disney, so unless there are bedbugs or neighbors who are partying until 2 am I think it will be pixiedust:

I would regret staying at a resort that I couldn't really afford even more. I always select our resort with price in mind. I am much happier staying where I can comfortably afford my vacation. Not having to worry about other costs. Not having to scrimp on dining because we were spending too much on resorts. Or worrying that I could pay off the credit card when we got home. KWIM?

I would love nothing better to stay in a GF theme park view room. But I can only afford to stay at a mod. That has never spoiled any of our vacations.

I would love to stay at a Deluxe resort every time I visit Disney World...but I do tend to base my resort on price. But, there are no regrets or disappointments on whatever resort choice I make because I am so thrilled to be in Disney World.

I would love to stay at a Deluxe resort every time I visit Disney World...but I do tend to base my resort on price. But, there are no regrets or disappointments on whatever resort choice I make because I am so thrilled to be in Disney World.

Agreed:thumbsup2

I love Pop, Csr and GF

Every Disney resort is special in their own way

I go with what I cam afford...

I guess it's what you are comfortable with. Some folks have trouble staying outside their comfort zone. We've stayed at a deluxe which was nice. Then we stayed at a value. I don't regret either vacation. I would definitely want to try different places in the future. For the money though, I would probably go with the value and have more days vacation.

We've only stayed at one value and we really didn't like it. It wasn't a horrible place just not what we want in a resort. I only haven't personally cared for a few places both onsite and offsite but this is really just a matter of personal taste. You never know unless you try it.

We are there to be at parks not at hotel so look for location, price more than amenities or fancy decor. We love POR, fits us nicely as family of five. Would like to try AOA or Cabins just to try but as long as on propery we are happy.

Last September my Husband decided at the last minute that he wanted to go with us, which meant in order to still keep the deluxe dining plan and be able to afford it, we had to downgrade from the Poly, (which is the only place we had ever stayed), to the Coronado Springs. It definitely worked out better than I had hoped. The pool area there is absolutely amazing, we were thrilled with it. We weren't crazy about our room location, or the busses with multiple stops around the resort, but all in all I was pleasantly surprised and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to anyone who wanted to stay moderate.

I find it interesting that rather than answer the clear question the OP posed, many people are just chiming in defending their resort level choices....

After staying at all of the deluxe resorts, many on Club level, I did a stay at Pop. That vacation was just as magical as all those deluxe vacations. Having a great vacation is so much more than the resort.

I would hate to worry about a budget or what I was spending on vacation. That would take more away from my enjoyment than the resort I chose.

I stayed at Poly growing up, and then BC with my parents in college. When I started paying for my own trips, I started over - first off-site, then the values when they appeared, then mods and then back to deluxe again. I've loved every single one of these stays, and don't have any regrets. This April, I was traveling with our youngest (and our older boys for just one night) and decided to try POFQ during Easter week and then switch to YC when the discounts kicked in.

I don't regret staying at POFQ - I'm really glad I tried it and I would rank it as my favorite mod (have also stayed at CSR multiple times and CBR once.) I have lots of great things to say about POFQ as a mod. But we hadn't stayed in a mod for over eight years and many trips, so I remembered the differences between mods and deluxes - especially the transportation/location issues, the room layout and lots of other little things. I was really happy the day we transferred to YC. Even though we do spend lots of time on-the-go, the resort atmosphere is very important to us and I think we'll stick to deluxe. And if we were coming in late one night and needed a quick place to stay before transferring to deluxe, I might go value for that one night - maybe AoA.

I will honestly admit, I had regrets before a trip and got over it immediately after arriving.

Now that I have Deluxe, Mod, Value and DD resorts under my belt, I know I can enjoy myself completely spending the $$ I'm most comfortable with. Some years I can afford more, some years less.

I find it interesting that rather than answer the clear question the OP posed, many people are just chiming in defending their resort level choices....

I'm not seeing that at all. Most people have answered the question. Most are saying they haven't regretted chosing a less expensive resort.

This past trip was the first time I really put price ahead of desire. We stayed at the Poly in 2010 and I would have loved to stay there again but just couldn't justify spending the money. I let DD choose between the WL (which is what I really wanted) and CSR (which I knew she really wanted). Of course, she chose CSR. We had a great stay at CSR, but when we were at the Poly for our Ohana dinner I did feel a little sad that we weren't staying there. I didn't really regret my decision to choose a less expensive resort because I refuse to spend more than I can comfortably afford. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have been thrilled to be at the Poly instead.

Well said. I don't think you can really have a major regret staying at Disney. Just your personal preferences. You know what you like and what you don't.

We have never regretted Pop but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's the only place we've stayed so far. I think the values have lots to offer and are definitely more engaging (in terms of atmosphere) than non-Disney hotels.

We were booked at POFQ this December and had to scale back to Pop. I admit to being disappointed. Pop isn't so bad, I just wanted to move on up so to speak and try something new/better(?).

Yes, the last time we went with my ILs, we stayed at POFQ because the trip was already horrendously expensive and we thought we'd cut the costs for them a bit by staying moderate rather than our usual WL. I didn't enjoy POFQ. It was mostly the lack of indoor corridors- I just felt so HOT all the time! I also really missed not having a balcony. POFQ was not for me.

The first time I stayed at WDW we did a split stay at AKL and WL and I bought my first AP (which more than paid for itself for just the AP discount I got on the rooms:rotfl:). Anyway, a few months later I went back down there for my first solo trip. I wanted it to be a budget trip, so did a split stay renting points for BWV and then did the Friday and Saturday nights before and after at Pop, (since points are so high for DVC for the weekends). Even though I had looked at pictures of Pop and thought I was prepared, as soon as I stepped into the lobby to check in, I thought, "Oh no, no way am I staying here".:rotfl: Ganted at the time, there was a large group of teens running through the lobby out toward the bus stops, screaming at the top of their lungs, so that contributed to my first bad impression of Pop, but I just felt like everything was too loud and in your face.:rotfl2: Anyway, when I got to the check in desk, I asked the CM if I could move the AP discount I had used over to another resort and how much would the price difference be. The very nice CM talked me into giving Pop a try for those first two nights and said if I really didn't like it, to call about moving those last two nights to a different resort. I was pleasantly surprised with Pop and even stayed there a few other times, when I needed to make a trip budget or the people I were traveling with wanted to stay there. I'm still not really that fond of it, but would stay there if the choice was a value or not going.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter