• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

>> Refillable Mug FAQ <<

Every local I know (all from my extended family) was bringing back ancient mugs to refill them multiple times per day.

Imo it was a problem.

People microwave insulated plastic mugs and cups??

Most assuredly, the old system was abused.

Says who? Can I see the financial data proving this please? Sounds like a corporate excuse used to justify a very anti-customer, "magic" ruining move.

For over a decade I've seen these mugs flying off the shelves and the vast majority of those seen are pristine.

They were making a fortune off these already or else they would have canceled it forever ago.

There is some pencil pushing propeller head somewhere in management bucking for a promotion so he/she dreamed up this anti-consumer, anti-magical experience idea so he/she can point to some increased number on a ledger and argue for a promotion.

People brought back mugs that you couldn't see anything on the outside of the mug because it was so old. People would fill up empty bottle or jugs with soda and not pay for any of it. The chipped mug was the best way to stop the abuse.

If this "abuse" was widespread, they would have gotten rid of the concept 5-10 years ago.

Truth is, they were already making a fortune off this as is, and people were happy.

Some jerk conjured up this terrible, anti-consumer idea for his own personal corporate gain, and we're the ones suffering because of it.

The delay in refilling is about two minutes.

Why should legitimate, paying customers get a crappier product than we've already had for a decade? Why should things get WORSE and MORE EXPENSIVE over time rather than become a better value?

As customers, we should demand better value over time, as we continue to show our loyalty by spending tens of thousands of dollars on Disney.

Our loyalty and our mountains of money shouldn't be "rewarded" with worsening product quality.

This is a FAQ thread. It is a specialized thread for sharing current information about how the mug program works, meant to help those planning to use mugs on upcoming trips. It is not a place for extended rants about how Disney charges too much for things, or debates about how the program used to work. These threads get long and unwieldy enough as it is.

If you have a beef with Disney's policies, by all means contact them and let them know. Any further rants/debates will be deleted from this thread.

This is a FAQ thread. ... It is not a place for extended rants about how Disney charges too much for things, or debates about how the program used to work. These threads get long and unwieldy enough as it is.

That's fair. Sorry. :(

I was actually worried this might be the case, which was why the first sentence of my very first post on the topic started with this:

Where is the best place to complain to Disney about this new mug system?

I'd be more than happy to start or join a thread in the appropriate place for this discussion. Thanks! :)

If this "abuse" was widespread, they would have gotten rid of the concept 5-10 years ago.

The RapidFill system is well over three years old, I think they didn't install it before as the technology wasn't available (at the right price) yet.

I don't see what is unmagical about getting the soda you paid for, only once did it think my mug was full when it wasn't quite and I just drank what I had and filled back up in two minutes.

If you are that worried about being tracked don't buy a Disney theme park ticket, they can only be used a certain number of times and have used technology (hole punches, then magnetic stripes now RFID) to track how many times each ticket has been used and at which parks.

I don't drink soda, but I'll buy a mug for my upcoming trip just for the coffee. A caffeinated cup or two in the morning and a decaf at night Thursday through Monday and it has paid for itself.

I don't drink soda, but I'll buy a mug for my upcoming trip just for the coffee. A caffeinated cup or two in the morning and a decaf at night Thursday through Monday and it has paid for itself.
There is also tea. I think and there might even be milk. Not sure about the milk one.

Did they all go back to handles now or can you still find ones that are handle free ?

Does anyone have picture of current mugs with handles?

Thanks, so it's the same picture as the mug without the handle

Thanks, so it's the same picture as the mug without the handle

Yes. They usually introduce a new design every 3-4 years. This one has been around for about 18 months so far with a few of those months being during the "no handle" test phase.

Not sure if this has already been posted (search is not my friend today) ...
Saw new version of the current mug at Beach Club today - same picture and colored lids but with a white handle.

Question.... do you need to buy a refillable mug to get the ice water out of the machines? The last two trips we purchased the dining plan and it came with the mugs, but all my kids drink is the ice water. So we've only used the mugs for them to get water. There is a little tab usually on the lemonade-like drink that would do water. This trip in August we are not purchasing the dining plan. We are planning on a lot of time at our hotel pool and we plan to tour different resorts for counter meal dinners so we would be around the refillable system. I am buying mugs for husband and I for our coffee and tea, but I was wondering if we could just bring and use the little plastic water bottles my kids have to get the ice and water? I'm trying to think if the water in the machine is also rfid activated.

Question.... do you need to buy a refillable mug to get the ice water out of the machines? The last two trips we purchased the dining plan and it came with the mugs, but all my kids drink is the ice water. So we've only used the mugs for them to get water. There is a little tab usually on the lemonade-like drink that would do water. This trip in August we are not purchasing the dining plan. We are planning on a lot of time at our hotel pool and we plan to tour different resorts for counter meal dinners so we would be around the refillable system. I am buying mugs for husband and I for our coffee and tea, but I was wondering if we could just bring and use the little plastic water bottles my kids have to get the ice and water? I'm trying to think if the water in the machine is also rfid activated.
You can use the water tap with any container. We always use it to fill our sports bottles. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter