Reef Safe Sunscreen for cruise

I can get sunburned inside on a cloudy day and have several skin cancers removed. I haven't actually investigated them all, but I have seen more Reef Safe sunscreens than ever before this year. I bough the Target Up and Up brand spray (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide). I've only used it a few times but I haven't gotten burned. You do have to rub it in after you spray, but it's probably still easier than lotioning a squirming toddler!

I can get sunburned inside on a cloudy day and have several skin cancers removed. I haven't actually investigated them all, but I have seen more Reef Safe sunscreens than ever before this year. I bough the Target Up and Up brand spray (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide). I've only used it a few times but I haven't gotten burned. You do have to rub it in after you spray, but it's probably still easier than lotioning a squirming toddler!

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check them out! I know some are advertised as "reef safe" but then when you read the ingredients they're actually not. I don't think there is any laws or anything that regulate that. I want to say it was a hawiian tropic I saw it on that said on the front of the bottle reef safe but then when you looked at ingredients it had the big two that are banned in Hawaii and such

We aren't cruising until Feb 2022 and honestly last cruise I didn't know that not all sunscreens were not reef safe (mine even said on the bottle reef safe but then when I read the ingredients I was shocked to find out that wasn't true).

I'm starting to research sunscreens now, hopefully to try it out before we get on the boat. I have a VERY easily burned fair skinned toddler and I've read some horror stories of the reef safe sunscreens not working as well. Has anyone experienced this? We are looking at Blue Lizard currently and the rest of us will honestly be fine but I worry about my tiny terror with his very light skin.

Picture for tax :) He actually looks tan in this picture from our last cruise with his brothers :P
View attachment 583835
I’m not a fan of Blue Lizard or mineral sunscreens! I tried it a few years back and I burned. Most of the sunscreens sold in Florida now are reef safe. The Walmart and CVS brands are reef safe and work well. They are a bit more pasty than the reef bleachers, but protect your skin. We spend a lot of time on the water and this is what I use.

CVS brands are reef safe and work well.

I have not looked at every product in the CVS line, but the ones I have looked at are definitely not reef safe.

We have used Badger products for more than 10 years. I highly recommend them.

I have not looked at every product in the CVS line, but the ones I have looked at are definitely not reef safe.

We have used Badger products for more than 10 years. I highly recommend them.
Most brands have had to re-formulate and remove the reef bleaching chemicals. I noticed the change in my area about 2 years ago. The newer formulas feel more waxy than before.

Most brands have had to re-formulate and remove the reef bleaching chemicals. I noticed the change in my area about 2 years ago. The newer formulas feel more waxy than before.

Perhaps, but on their website the CVS sunscreens contain problematic chemicals. We live in Monroe County, so I will take a look the next time I am in CVS to see if the CVS branded products there are different than those listed on their website. Our Publix sells a wide variety of non-safe sunscreens, although they shouldn't.

I really like Coola's mineral sunscreen, and I don't think it has any of those sneaky chemicals (we've been using Alba Botanicals for years and now I feel bad!). I recently found some online from Sierra for a really deep discount, and it wasn't expired or anything.

I've also used Stream2Sea and Garden Goddess before, and they're both fine! The Coola seems to rub in a little easier, though.

We use sun protective clothing with UPF 50+ (in water that means long sleeve rash guard, swim tights, etc) and then usually Blue Lizard or Vanicream mineral-based sunscreen for the small area of skin not covered by the clothing. We are allergic to any of the chemical-based sunscreens.

SW

Perhaps, but on their website the CVS sunscreens contain problematic chemicals. We live in Monroe County, so I will take a look the next time I am in CVS to see if the CVS branded products there are different than those listed on their website. Our Publix sells a wide variety of non-safe sunscreens, although they shouldn't.

Looked pretty closely at the CVS branded options. All the sprays, all the ones labeled "sport", and all the ones labeled for children were problematic. There were 2 that may be okay.

We are sailing to USVI this summer and are hearing that on our sailing since it is going to USVI that all sunscreen that is not reef safe is banned from the Fantasy? Is this true? Anyone with experience on this?

Also I looked at our CVS AND Publix in Florida and I couldn’t find anything truly reef safe. I did find this Thinksport brand on Amazon and don’t know if anyone has used before. Thanks.

I use a brand called Stream2Sea. It’s from Florida and I order it online directly from their website. We use the tinted Sport one so we don’t have the ghost white smears. Be aware you will need to re-apply the mineral based sunscreens more frequently than chemical based sunscreens. I’m a redhead with sensitive skin and this brand does not irritate my skin. I also love pairing it with Coconut Body Butter from Trader Joe’s for after sun care. It will turn too much sun into a tan and works much better than aloe!

The USVI has provided an official list:
https://islandgreenliving.org/sunscreen-list/

The problem also comes down to terminology. There is "reef safe" and "reef friendly." You want the former. The latter is a greenwashing term and you'll find it generally has ingredients that doesn't fit the bill. In fact, I believe there is a class action lawsuit against a couple of companies for using the latter term and causing confusion.

Another vote for Blue Lizard. I'm very pale and it got me through a week at Aulani in March with no burns.

From this list I just purchased the Reef Repair brand and I'm pleased with it so far. It rubs in well and doesn't make me look like I slathered myself in toothpaste. I'll report back on it's efficacy after this weekend (I hope. Fingers crossed. I'm still freaking out about getting sick and testing positive at the port.)

Also I looked at our CVS AND Publix in Florida and I couldn’t find anything truly reef safe. I did find this Thinksport brand on Amazon and don’t know if anyone has used before. Thanks.
I haven’t used Thinksport but I have used Thinkbaby (same company and probably similar formulas) and really like it. I have used it mostly on my face and it protected me well in Hawaii.

I haven’t used Thinksport but I have used Thinkbaby (same company and probably similar formulas) and really like it. I have used it mostly on my face and it protected me well in Hawaii.
We also use Thinkbaby just because we like the smell better. It's the same as Thinksport except for the scent. So far, it's worked very well for us at the parks, at beaches, and on cruises. It's a mineral-based product, though, which does mean that it's kind of annoying to apply and remove and it will get on your clothes.

It's a mineral-based product, though, which does mean that it's kind of annoying to apply and remove and it will get on your clothes.
Yeah, that’s why I mostly only use it for my face and use chemical sunscreen on my body.

We used the Reef Repair at Castaway Cay a couple weekends ago and we were very pleased. No burns for anyone! It rubs in well and protects well. Plenty of people at CC could have used it. Wow, there were a lot of burnt people that night. Yikes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter