Redwitch & My F&W Adventure! Questing! The Worst Drink Ever! Sushi Rolling! Shochu! Help!!!

I have time, so here's another review!

SWALFIN CLASSIC COCKTAIL SEMINAR

This was also a load of fun!

This is what sat between our seats: a bucket of ice, a bottle of gin, a bottle of bourbon and club soda. There was also an egg separator (I'm not sure what they're actually called- a thing to get the whites from an egg without getting the yolk) and you can see the very edge of a citrus squeezer.

And this is what was in front of us: snacks (more on them in a few), egg, lemon and mint. Shaker and glasses, and then more glasses. Paper. Cucumber simple syrup, sour mix, regular simple syrup. Homemade orange bitters. A measurer and a strainer. Silverware. Water. An eclectic mix of things, basically.

And then a premade drink. This was St. George Street Punch. Made with: 1.5oz St. Augustine Rum, 1/2oz triple sec, 1oz fresh pressed oj (I'm pretty sure store bought would work fine), 1/2oz sour mix, 1/2oz cinnamon simple syrup, 3oz water, 5 dashes orange bitters. Despite mom again claiming she didn't like rum punch, she sure drank this right up. It was actually really tasty. The lips straws (they had mustache straws, too) were adorable.

The snacks, which we were to eat at our leisure. On the left is crab on top of... something. (I'm sorry: the snacks aren't on the printout I have, and I was too busy making drinks and drinking them to take notes.) Mom didn't like it, but I did. In the middle were bread stick twists. On the right was an absolutely perfect deviled egg (I may have eaten a few more of them- they were sitting out at seats that weren't filled, so they were left at the end of the session). These weren't a meal by any means, but just something to munch on while drinking.

Finally, at the front of the room, there was the presenters space. This setup was much brighter then the sushi and sake pairing was, and felt a bit more informal as well. The presenter gave us a history of cocktails (focusing specifically on Prohibition in the US) and then guided us in making our first.

This is a Cucumber Southside Fizz. It's made by muddling 1 sprig of mint with 3/4oz cucumber infused simple syrup. Then we juiced a lemon in to said glass, added 2oz's of Gin and filled the glass with ice. Then we shook the glass, strained it over fresh ice, and topped with 3 tbsp of club soda.

Only not exactly, as mom used Vodka instead of gin. She's allergic to orris root, which is found in most commercial gin's. Luckily, we have a local distillery that makes good gin without it. Mine was all gin, though. :)

Anyway, this was tasty. I've long been muddling cucumber and mixing it with a base spirit, lemon and carbonated water, but the cucumber simple syrup is a nice touch. I should make some. I should also add mint once the season comes around. You usually think of mint to be used with rum, but it's good with anything. If it's fresh, anyway: I hate artificial mint.

After our first drink, we split up in to two groups. We went over and learned about ice first. Ice is an extremely important part of cocktail making, and not one we spend enough time paying attention too, apparently (at least, that seemed to be the general gist of the conversation). I'm being sort of blase about this, but it was educating.

We then headed to the other half of the room, and learned about bitters, syrups and shrubs. Shrubs is something mom and I have been making for a long time, but I'd never infused my own simple syrup or made my own bitters before, so I found this more interesting. However, my bottle of bitters is huge and will probably last me the rest of my life, so I'll probably never have a chance or reason to do the latter.

We then went and made a Whiskey Sour. This was 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sour, 1/2oz simple syrup and ice in a shaker, then shook and strained in to a coupe glass. We then separated egg white in to the shaker, shook that up to make it frothy, and put that on top of the bourbon mixture. Then we added '4 to 6' drops of orange bitters.

Sour's are one of my favorite cocktails, so of course I loved this. Mom was leery about using egg whites, but after the presenter reassured her we weren't going to drop over dead, went with it. Apparently, if there's any problems, they'll be in the yolk, not the whites. In any case, I wish I had one of these oh, right... now.

...I definitely feel like making a classic cocktail tonight. (If anyone cares, lately I've been obsessed with the Bee's Knees cocktail. Supposedly, you can get one at Bluezoo at the Swalfin (you can probably get one anywhere there's a full bar that would have honey, really), though I've yet to try their version.)

Also, no one pointed out that in the Swalfin Sushi review I said we had a pot of wasabi instead of a pot of soy sauce!:P I'm keeping that there, as it amuses me. :dance3:

Next: the Causeway at the Swalfin Classic. That's going to be really hard to review, as it's basically a massive Party for the Senses!

Darn on that martini. Always a bummer when you end up ordering something you end up not liking.

Looks like another class I'll put on my wish list in the future.

TRADER SAM'S

If your favorite bar at the Poly is actually the Tambu Lounge, I plead the fifth by announcing that's a lounge, not a bar, and thus your favorite bar must be Trader Sam's by default. Unless you really like the Pool Bar. Then I just sort of lied to you. I'm so sorry.

On the way down to Disney, we ate at some odd health food sports bar (yes, seriously) during our layover, but it wasn't really interesting enough that I'm going to force you to read a review of it. We ended up getting there around threeish, and the day did not correspond to low crowds at any of the parks that were open late. We threw around Disney Springs suggestions, but mom was afraid of getting back to the hotel too late as we had opening planned at Eppycot for the next day. Thus, I suggested a bar.

You'll find that I generally suggest bars. It's a failing of mine.

We got to Trader Sam's a bit after they opened and were told we would have a thirty minute wait. Fine by us; we headed out to the lounge. Before we even were served our water, our pager beeped. It couldn't have been five minutes. We then went inside and stood around in the middle till two seats at the bar opened up (it didn't take long) and we snagged them.

Honestly, I have no idea why. Trader Sam's has THE most uncomfortable bar seats out of any bar in Disney I've ever sat at- actually, any bar period I've ever been to. Still, it gives you the best view of the action if you don't mind being sprayed with water whenever two different drinks are ordered.

Our bartenders for that night were Nathan and David. Both were excellent, friendly and extremely in to the spraying people with water and running around crazy deal.

In other news, here's Nemo drinking all the rum. He doesn't share. Nemo is a jerk.

Mom started off with a Dark and Tropical Stormy: black seal rum, lime juice, ginger beer and falernum (that's that almondy-syrup put in almost all Caribbean rum drinks). It was good, and sweeter then the typical dark and stormy you might get elsewhere (likely because of the falernum). I think the wrecked umbrella in the drink glass makes it, though.

I decided to be a bit odd and ordered a shot of ByeJoe Dragon Fire Spirit. It's used in the Tahitian Torch served at Trader Sam's, but it's mixed with so much fruit juice you can't really taste the liquor. I wanted to try it on its own after hearing it was actually spicy when drank neat.

It's somewhat hard to find information about this spirit, so excuse me from stealing from Wikipedia. Basically, ByeJoe is a US producer of baijiu which is sort of China's big drink (compare it to Sake in Japan, Rum in the Caribbean, Tequila in Mexico, Scotch in Scotland...). Baijiu can basically be made with almost anything, but ByeJoe makes theirs with sorgrum, which is actually a plant in the grass family. The Dragon Fire Spirit is their basically plain sorgrum baijiu infused with dragon fruit, lychee, and chilies. It's only available in four states, Florida being one of them. PA is certainly not.

"Okay," you may be saying, "Enough with randomly quoting Wikipedia and not even giving citations, how does it taste?" The answer is lightly spicy and lightly sweet, with a bit more of the spice then the sweetness. It's actually one of the more unique drinks I've ever tried: it was hard to define exactly how it tasted. Of course, I have very little experience with baijiu, especially baijiu infusions, so it may be relatively routine to some people. To me, though, it was something completely out of the ordinary. I'm glad I tried it, and I liked it. It was good neat, but some people may prefer it on ice. If you're at Trader Sam's and not in the mood for Rum but want some straight alcohol, I'd recommend trying it.

Pardon the darkness of the Nautilus: flash isn't really liked in Trader Sam's, and it was hard to get a good picture of it. This is indeed the five million dollar drink (okay, thirty something, but still) meant to be shared with four or so people. It has a long list of ingredients: Barbancourt Pango Rum, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Combier Creme de Peche de Vigne Liqueur, Tropical Juices (whatever that means) and Falernum.

So, in summary: it's a peachy rum punch. Mom was afraid she wouldn't like it, as she says rum punches aren't really her thing. But as I was fighting her for sips (she actually had the bartender tie a knot in my straw so I couldn't get any :(), I think I could safely say she enjoyed this one. I sure did. We have a pretty high alcohol tolerance, but I don't see any reason why this couldn't be enjoyed by two instead of four. One may be pushing it, but, well, I'd personally give it my best try...

We also ordered a flatbread that they were serving but was not on the current menu. It had chicken, bacon, tomato, cilantro, green onion, cheese, carrots and peanut sauce on it. We both found it delicious, as well as surprisingly filling. I really hope they bring it (or already have) to the standard menu. I strongly recommend asking the bartender or server if they have any other food (or what food they recommend): they had three items off the menu that they were serving that night.

There was also some information slipped to us. When we walked in, I saw a young woman drinking out of a black pearl. I asked the bartender about the luck on that- wasn't it one in a hundred or so? "Something like that," was the cryptic answer I got. "Except for on Halloween. Shelly eats too much candy and gets a bit odd."

That influenced the first part of our vacation: The Hunt For The Black Pearl. The questing was indeed on.

Next: Epcot food.

I REALLY want to try some of the Trader Sam drinks and get some of the souvenir drinking vessels. Trouble is no one else n my group drinks. How many shareable drinks can I manage before i need rolling home (We're booked at the GF - so would need rolling via the monorail)?

Those cocktails look delicious! Well, except for the one at the Brown Derby. Yuck :eek:

Yeah, the other's were all wonderful, but that... not so much. At least not for me.

Darn on that martini. Always a bummer when you end up ordering something you end up not liking.

It really is. I thought I'd really like it- I do generally like creamy drinks!- but it just wasn't to be. And yes, try the classes!

Loving your report! Adding a mint julep at the HBD lounge to my list.

Thank you! Definitely go for the mint julep. That was lovely.

I REALLY want to try some of the Trader Sam drinks and get some of the souvenir drinking vessels. Trouble is no one else n my group drinks. How many shareable drinks can I manage before i need rolling home (We're booked at the GF - so would need rolling via the monorail)?

Heh! Hm. The Nautilus was actually pretty strong for a disney drink, I thought. I'd skip that one if you're drinking solo and want to try a few drinks for the mugs. The Uh-Oha is not that strong, though, so you could probably drink that one solo with no problems (and it's fun for everyone at the table, too, with the throwing cinnamon on it). Most of Trader Sam's drinks aren't that strong, but they are sweet, so keep standing up as you drink to make sure you haven't gone overboard without realizing it. ;)

Here we are again, at the...

SWALFIN CLASSIC CAUSEWAY EVENT

This is the main event at the Swan and Dolphin's Food and Wine Classic. It's an absolutely *gigantic* Party for the Senses type event that takes place all along the walkway where the boat dock is at the resorts. To try an explain the scale, these were the amount of booths:
+ One Sake Booth
+ One Mixed Drinks (very tiny) booth
+ Thirty Seven Wine Booths
+ Four Beer Booths (plus a pay extra area with twelve more breweries that we didn't participate in)
+ Thirteen Food Booths (plus extra carnival food booths that aren't listed on the guide)
+ Four Gaming Booths that hosted carnival games

The amount of food booths may seem small, but each brought their A game: every booth was sponsored by one of the Swan and Dolphin restaurants (save for the Chinatown booth and the carnival booths), and they were serving delicious small bites.

Basically, it's a three hour all you can eat and drink festival. And, um, let me just point out the amount of wine booths again (each with two wines, generally). We did not drink irresponsibly, but we were definitely tipsy when were done. At the end of the festival, we were tasting wines like professionals: sip, swirl in mouth, spit and dump so we didn't get stupid. You could definitely overindulge here, and I would not want to be driving after this festival.

This festival was a bit confusing, as we were wandering around booths by the pool: a place we'd never been to at the Swalfin. As we don't spend much time wandering the walkways, after it got dark we got really disoriented on to where exactly we were and where we were going: we ended up walking on sand in the dark because we didn't realize where the path was. They also were directing people at this festival to use a four stall bathroom, which as you can imagine meant the lines for the bathrooms (well, at least the ladies) were incredibly long. Those are my two only complaints about this, and the first is really on us, not them: if we knew the resort better, we would have been better off.

So, what can I say? I only have a few pictures from the event, as it got dark very quickly and photographs were useless.

Salt Roasted Prime New York Strip with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and sauce bourdelaise from Shula's was, as you would expect a steak from Shula's to be, excellent.

Chicken Yakitori with Mushroom Tsunomono and Miso Crackling was also excellent (who am I kidding, everything was excellent but the Shrimp Cocktail Shooter I couldn't eat as I couldn't suck hard enough to get it out of the shooter (please don't point out how dirty that sounds)).

The carnival trio. I don't remember the item on the left, but there's a corn dog and my favorite item of the festival, the nitrogen popped popcorn (mom didn't like it as it was cold, but it was delicious).

All the desserts: I don't really remember what these were, to be honest. I'm sorry about that. They were good, but we were getting really full by the time we got to them.

Sadly, that's all the pictures I have that you can make out the item. We missed a bit of this festival due to running late out of the cocktail demonstration, but we still felt we had plenty of time: we even left early to head to Epcot and watch Illuminations. We were very full at that point.

We're still going back and forth on this event. Everything we were served was delicious and the beverage selection was incredible, but we're just not sure this atmosphere is for us. Eating while standing and walking is a pain. We keep talking about how we'll quit going to these party events and go to a nice sit down meal event instead, but we never seem to actually do that. Having said that, I think this is much better then the Party for the Senses and it was amazing to do once. The lines were much less then the Party for the Senses and there was never that 'rushed' feeling we get at that event. I'd recommend that if you're down there for the Classic, you do this event at least once.

Next comes... well, I don't remember! We'll have to wait and see, won't we?

Mom got the Cobb Salad,

I always go for the Cobb. Something about it is so good! And I always get to a salad craving point with all the rich and/or junky food we eat on vacation.

Mom had a Mint Julip, made with Woodford Reserve Bourben. Mom said she should order these more often. Quite refreshing.

I honestly don't think I ever had a Mint Julip before. (I never hung with the Kentucky Derby crowd.) But Bourbon and Mint? Two of my favorite flavors!

And I had... the worst drink in the world.

Also known as a Grapefruit Cake Martini.

Seriously, IMHO, disgusting!

The lips straws (they had mustache straws, too) were adorable.

We have a picture of us with these straws that is adorable. Great color on us.

Only not exactly, as mom used Vodka instead of gin. She's allergic to orris root, which is found in most commercial gin's. Luckily, we have a local distillery that makes good gin without it.

And I have no idea how allergic. But now I can enjoy an occasional gin drink.

Shrubs is something mom and I have been making for a long time, but I'd never infused my own simple syrup or made my own bitters before, so I found this more interesting.

I have a cucumber shrub in the works right now. One of my favorites!

Mom was leery about using egg whites, but after the presenter reassured her we weren't going to drop over dead, went with it.

I've had "no raw eggs" drilled in my brain for years. But, I used to eat raw cookie dough and brownie batter as kid. Not to mention my Great Aunt's eggnog....

Those cocktails look delicious! Well, except for the one at the Brown Derby. Yuck :eek:

The cocktails were awesome! But, to give that grapefruit monstrosity it's do; it must be liked by many or it wouldn't be a signature cocktail. I'm not fond of their grapefruit cake either, but at least I can eat it. The drink, not so much.

I highly recommend the two seminars we did!

Adding a mint julep at the HBD lounge to my list.

I think I need another one!

Trouble is no one else n my group drinks.

You obviously need another group! :drinking:

Oh, and thanks for the reviews, some stuff I have never seen before!

We were unable to find any reviews of the seminars at the Swan and Dolphin Classic. So, it was stuff we never saw before either!

This festival was a bit confusing, as we were wandering around booths by the pool: a place we'd never been to at the Swalfin. As we don't spend much time wandering the walkways, after it got dark we got really disoriented on to where exactly we were and where we were going: we ended up walking on sand in the dark because we didn't realize where the path was.

Yeah, totally lost. :oops:

I only have a few pictures from the event, as it got dark very quickly and photographs were useless.

My camera does an OK job, but the flash wipes out food pictures. I've since figured out to use the phone flash light feature to light up too dark photo ops. (Duh moment.)

Everything we were served was delicious and the beverage selection was incredible, but we're just not sure this atmosphere is for us. Eating while standing and walking is a pain.

They did have high top tables for standing, but limited seating. We, unfortunately, found the seating early in the evening when we didn't need it.
There was something for everyone here and it was a fun event. Just not an every year event for us.

Mom's threatened to cancel our booked Highway Around the Sky Dine Around if I don't finish this before our vacation in two weeks. Yikes! I don't know if I can finish it, but I guess I should make an effort. So here we go!

I'm sorry for all the /url's in this post. That's the only way I could make it so that every thing I typed wasn't a link. I don't know why my normal BB code didn't work today.

CALIFORNIA GRILL

Not my favorite signature, but certainly not bad. This time, though, we weren't here for dinner, we were here for... brunch!

They start you out with a not-very-full mimosa. That's okay, though, as these things are UNLIMITED. All the mimosas you want, delivered right to you. Unfortunately, I'm not the biggest fan of mimosas. Mom enjoyed these though, once she found out from the waiter that they were indeed unlimited. Anyway, we immediately headed off to the buffet, so here comes a lot of pictures...
[/URL]

https://flic.kr/p/Sv6mai
Yogurt and stuff to put on the yogurt. I skipped this; I think mom had one. They were the perfect size for a buffet.
[/URL]

Smoked salmon and accompaniments. I love smoked salmon, and the Cali Grill's was pretty nice indeed.
[/URL]

Bagels for the smoked salmon (or anything, really) and then fruit.
[/URL]

A tiny fruit cup with melon, pineapple and kiwi. Everything tasted fresh.
[/URL]

Sushi! This is shrimp tempura, the only roll I tried. I was sort of sushi'd out at this point in our trip.
[/URL]

Fregola salad. I really enjoyed this; I probably ate too much of it.
[/URL]

Iceburg salad. Mom and I split one of these: like everything else, it was very nice.
[/URL]

Kale and apple salad, as it says. The salads were all hits, really.
[/URL]

Deviled eggs. I love deviled eggs, especially if there's bacon on them. I know eating so many eggs is bad for you, but it was so tempting.
[/URL]

More sushi! I have no idea why the shrimp tempura roll was so far away from all the other sushi. This is nigiri and then a spicy tuna roll. Mom ate these, I know, so I'll leave her to offer her opinion on their quality.
[/URL]

It wouldn't be the California Grill if they didn't have California Rolls, right? These were made with real crabmeat, too. No fake krab here!
[/URL]

[/url]
The meat and cheese selection. I can't recall everything on here, but I liked all but the basic cheddar (there was nothing wrong with it- I'm just not a big cheddar person). My first plate was just full of stuff from this station. I regret nothing.

Now, jumping over to the bloody mary bar...
[/URL]

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
Wow, lots of pictures.

This works thus: you choose your vodka, and they then mix your vodka with the tomato juice. You then choose your hot sauce, and you put as much of it as you like in your drink (you could combine hot sauces if you liked). They then put the celery in, and attached six (I believe) items of your choosing to the celery stick using toothpicks (save for I believe the bacon, which was just put right in the drink).
[/URL]

This was an extra cost (I think 12$ for the Absolute Pepper, which I had, and 15$ and 18$ for the other vodkas), but it was so good. It was huge, though! Beautifully huge. Mom found it funny seeing me try and drink something so unwieldy, but I enjoyed it.
[/URL]

Press pot coffee (and the juice you can see in the back of the Bloody Mary picture) were included in the price.
[/URL]

As we explored the buffet, a tray of bread was put on our table. Cheddar biscuits (I do like those), a piece of apple monkey bread and cranberry orange scones. We ended up taking them back to the room so we could have room for our main course after exploring the buffet.
[/URL]

Mom went for the shrimp and grits, though we cleanly split our entrees between us. This was gulf white shrimp with Tillamook cheddar grits, spicy infused tomato broth and espelette-spiced tomato ragout. It was an incredible improvement on the shrimp and grits we had at the Brown Derby Lounge. I wish I hadn't eaten so much on the buffet so I could have enjoyed it more...
[/URL]

I ordered the lobster eggs Benedict, then gave half to mom when she started giving me that patented Mom Look. This was just so good, though. I'm all about eating lobster for breakfast, but this was one of the best renditions of it that I've ever had. It was just that good.

I've heard rumors that it's changed, but at the time, we were told that we could order as many entrees as we wanted. We were just too full after pigging out at the buffet to do that, unfortunately.
[/URL]

Finally, we were given a tray of sweets. We had them boxed immediately and ate them throughout the trip. I really liked the jam cookies.

So, in summary: this was a really nice event. Unlike the Cali Grill at night, this was very quiet: they had musicians playing instrumental Disney music, but they weren't loud. There were very few kids (no kids menu, after all) and the atmosphere was bright and refreshing. Our waiter, Sam, was wonderful: even though we were the last ones to leave the restaurant, we never felt rushed, and he came over and told us when the buffet was closing and when the kitchen was then closing afterwards (don't worry, there was plenty of time for us to eat). I would definitely do this again: I really felt like I got my money's worth. I might not do the Bloody Mary, though. That was just too filling.[/URL]

Next... well, we'll see. Coming tomorrow!

Oh YUMMMM. I *so* want to do that brunch with my hubby the next time we all go to WDW together. I actually just texted him the link to your review and was like we are doing this next time and leaving the boys at the resort! I would totally stuff myself with the sushi and charcuterie. And then a Bloody Mary. And an entree.

Great review and awesome pictures! :thumbsup2

Cali Grill Brunch is on my MUST DO for our upcoming trip. And it certainly looks FAB.
(and my DS LOVES sushi and we have no where else on our list that serves it, so...)

Oh YUMMMM. I *so* want to do that brunch with my hubby the next time we all go to WDW together. I actually just texted him the link to your review and was like we are doing this next time and leaving the boys at the resort! I would totally stuff myself with the sushi and charcuterie. And then a Bloody Mary. And an entree.

Great review and awesome pictures! :thumbsup2

The Bloody Mary was so filling, but so delicious. I probably should have skipped it, but I would encourage everyone to get it despite that. It was a really good Bloody Mary... but the whole brunch was good. Mom should say something about the sushi... uh, hopefully soon.

Cali Grill Brunch is on my MUST DO for our upcoming trip. And it certainly looks FAB.
(and my DS LOVES sushi and we have no where else on our list that serves it, so...)

It really was fabulous! And if you have a sushi fan, it's even better!

Brunch looks amazing...Must try that soon!

Give it a try; you won't be disappointed. Well, I hope you won't, at least! I wasn't.

Next review is Morimoto, but, um, that'll have to wait a bit. The drinks we ordered are on mom's phone, not my notebook, so I need to wait to get the information from her before I can post. Sorry for the delay!

Nice review of Cali Grill brunch. We just went a few days ago and we liked it a lot. It was better than we expected.

:rotfl2:Your mom's threatening to cancel Highway Around the Sky Dine Around! You better finish this report so you could enlighten us with Highway Around the Sky Dine Around.

Oh my gosh, that Cali Grill brunch sounds incredible. I kind of thought, eh, too pricy when it first came out, but after reading a few reviews, I think it sounds great!

I am debating Party for the Senses. Looks like a fun event, and I like that you can try as much as you want!

Nice review of Cali Grill brunch. We just went a few days ago and we liked it a lot. It was better than we expected.

:rotfl2:Your mom's threatening to cancel Highway Around the Sky Dine Around! You better finish this report so you could enlighten us with Highway Around the Sky Dine Around.

I'm glad you liked it!

She's so mean, isn't she? ;) I'm hoping it'll be worth the price. I mean, we could eat a really good meal at Cali Grill and see the fireworks for at least a hundred less, but I guess part of it is the experience.

Oh my gosh, that Cali Grill brunch sounds incredible. I kind of thought, eh, too pricy when it first came out, but after reading a few reviews, I think it sounds great!

I am debating Party for the Senses. Looks like a fun event, and I like that you can try as much as you want!

It definitely was pricey, but for Disney pricey, I thought it was entirely worth it. YMMV and all that, but it was basically all you can eat (and drink) with good quality food.

We've done Party for the Senses a few times! Be prepared that it's crowded, especially if you don't pay for reserved seating (we never did), but as long as you're prepared for that and occasionally eating your foods on the walk, you're good to go. My cheap suggestion: most people start in the front of the room and work their way back. Start in the back of the room, then head to the front, then the middle. You'll avoid the most crowds. Just be aware that some items can run out (especially the booze), so if there's a drink you MUST TRY, hit that earlier. Also: if they still have them, the chocolate truffles are incredible and they keep putting out more different kinds all through the night. Go there often. Once, near the end of the night, the lady manning the stand gave me two big napkins of them to take back to the room. ^_^ Party of the Senses isn't something we do anymore, but it's definitely something everyone should do once, I think. I just prefer sitting down and having someone bring me stuff, as I'm lazy.

Okay, didn't get all the information I want, but Morimoto incoming tonight!

As I just said, we're off to...

MORIMOTO'S

If you go back to my unfinished report from last year, you'll see we went there and had a huge sushi-a-thon. That was amazing and fun. This time, though, we were just going for drinks. Really. Drinks.

Mom's drink is sadly no longer on the menu I believe, which is a shame, as we both loved it. It was the Korean Ginger Heat: knob creek bourbon, canton ginger liqueur, peach, 5 spice cinnamon rim. It was lightly spicy and filled with good ginger flavor. I have to give it strong recommendations... I wonder if the bartenders would still make it? I, on the other hand, had the Sake Sangria. That was sake, light white wine, plum whine, tangerine juice, and then asian pears, apple and plum. It was incredibly light and refreshing. You can get it in a carafe, too: might be nice for a table. Despite three liquors in it, it didn't really have much of an alcoholic kick, but it sure tasted good.

As we were sitting at the corner of the bar next to the hostess stand, we watched group after group be turned away with two hour waits and finally no seating at all, I realized that Downtown Disney was for some reason packed and if we wanted to eat, we might as well do it here as we probably wouldn't find food elsewhere. Mom, however, wasn't really hungry after the huge brunch in the morning.

So she ordered the tiniest appetizer in the world, the Ahi Tuna Tacos. Don't get me wrong: these were tasty. But they were seriously overpriced for how tiny they were. She was satisfied with just them, but I would have been starving ten minutes afterwards.

I went for something more filling, and ordered the Duck Ramen. (Note: it's hard to eat ramen on a barstool when you can't push that close to the bar.) And the ramen- the greens, the egg, the duck, the noodles- were all great.

But the broth. Oh, the broth. The broth was pure excellence, one of the best ramen broth's I've ever gotten the pleasure to eat. It's made with the bones of the duck they use for their specialty dish and you can definitely tell. I was in love from the first slurp. I try not to order the same thing on multiple visits, because it's boring reading a food report where someone just keeps ordering the same stuff at every stop, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist that ramen. That broth was just so delicious.

As we'd long since finished our first drinks before the food came out, this called for...

More drinks!

Here's the problem: we have no idea what mom drank (in the martini glass). I'm guessing pretty strongly it was the Japanese Whiskey Sour as I think I see egg froth and I have a picture of that menu item, but I cannot guarantee it. I wasn't taking notes this night as I was relaxing. :P I do know what I had, though: the Morimoto brand shouchu. It wasn't bad at all, though I liked the shouchu I had in the martini at the Tokyo Unami pairing better. It had a slight bit of bitterness to it, I thought, which I haven't found in other shouchu.

Next: Food and Wine booths! Hm, the food and wine booths for this year should be releasing in a few months... I hope there's not too many repeats!

Wow! I am behind! My ancient laptop is hating the DIS. It is slow to load and my shock wave plug in keeps hanging. It takes forever to multi-quote.

Mom's threatened to cancel our booked Highway Around the Sky Dine Around if I don't finish this before our vacation in two weeks.

I am a bit ambivalent about this event. It strikes me as overpriced, so I figure it was a safe threat.

Mom enjoyed these though, once she found out from the waiter that they were indeed unlimited.

They really were not advertising the unlimited mimosa. I nursed mine for a while until the waiter saw I was almost done and inquired if I'd like another. I countered with - How much?

Yogurt and stuff to put on the yogurt. I skipped this; I think mom had one.

I eat Greek yogurt and homemade granola every morning for breakfast. Pretty tasty stuff.

Fregola salad. I really enjoyed this; I probably ate too much of it.

This was amazing.

Kale and apple salad, as it says. The salads were all hits, really.

Yes they were.

Deviled eggs. I love deviled eggs, especially if there's bacon on them. I know eating so many eggs is bad for you, but it was so tempting.

Who doesn't love deviled eggs?

More sushi! I have no idea why the shrimp tempura roll was so far away from all the other sushi. This is nigiri and then a spicy tuna roll. Mom ate these, I know, so I'll leave her to offer her opinion on their quality.

These were pre-made and plated. But given the selection of local sushi, I still enjoyed them I wish I had some right now.

The meat and cheese selection.

These selections were awesome. If you were looking at making your money out of the buffet, this is the area to go. How much would a charcuterie platter of house made meats and high end cheeses cost you? And delicious to boot!

Mom went for the shrimp and grits, though we cleanly split our entrees between us.

This was good, but I would have preferred an bit less sauce. It was almost soupy.

I ordered the lobster eggs Benedict, then gave half to mom when she started giving me that patented Mom Look. This was just so good, though. I'm all about eating lobster for breakfast, but this was one of the best renditions of it that I've ever had. It was just that good.

Lobster for breakfast is always a winner.

I've heard rumors that it's changed, but at the time, we were told that we could order as many entrees as we wanted. We were just too full after pigging out at the buffet to do that, unfortunately.

While I didn't want another entree, I wish I had had enough room to order a couple of single items.

She's so mean, isn't she? ;)

To quote our favorite villain "You have no idea."

If you go back to my unfinished report from last year, you'll see we went there and had a huge sushi-a-thon. That was amazing and fun. This time, though, we were just going for drinks. Really. Drinks.

Big surprise there. Not!

So she ordered the tiniest appetizer in the world, the Ahi Tuna Tacos. Don't get me wrong: these were tasty. But they were seriously overpriced for how tiny they were. She was satisfied with just them, but I would have been starving ten minutes afterwards.

It was the tiniest and most overpriced appetizer in the world.

I went for something more filling, and ordered the Duck Ramen.

Those that follow along frequently on our adventures know Mikka has a serious ramen problem She needs an intervention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter