Redwitch & My F&W Adventure! Questing! The Worst Drink Ever! Sushi Rolling! Shochu! Help!!!

I had the Tandori chicken,

I was sort of jealous of her meal. It was really good for a QS option.

She, however, preferred the chips to the fries by a ton, and did not like the coleslaw at all: she found it dry and 'gross'.

Yes, the fries were flat and the coleslaw was gross. Very gross. The fries were edible with ketchup, nothing could save the coleslaw.

My favorite Disney dining reviewer is back! I'm enjoying reading all your mom's and your drinking and dining adventures. Notice which desccriptor I put first <3

I'm heading down to Orlando on Friday! Hurray for me! Please keep up the informative and very entertaining reviews.

:welcome:

Thanks for your kind worlds! Have a great time on your trip!

My favorite Disney dining reviewer is back! I'm enjoying reading all your mom's and your drinking and dining adventures. Notice which desccriptor I put first <3

I'm heading down to Orlando on Friday! Hurray for me! Please keep up the informative and very entertaining reviews.

Thank you for finding me again! I hope you have a fantastic time in Orlando and I'll do my best to keep writing and posting.

AMPLE HILLS CREAMERY

A snack, before the big event of the night.

I honestly can't tell you the order of the ice cream, though. Only that over on the left is the lemon sorbet, which was so delicious. There was also Sally Sells Seashells (over at four o'clock), Peanutbutter Vanilla, Coffee, Chocolate Cookie, and Oatmeal Lace. Mom's favorite was the coffee; my favorite was the oatmeal lace. All of them were good, except... except...

Oh, geez. The Sally Sells Seashells is supposed to be orange ice cream with chocolate caramel pieces in it. What it was was horrible. Mom proclaimed it to taste like amoxicillin, which I thankfully think I've never tried, but I don't think ice cream is supposed to taste like that. They allow you to try samples before getting the ice cream, and we really should have tried a sample of this flavor. This was my bad: I assumed as it was their signature flavor, it couldn't be that horrible. The lesson is obviously don't make assumptions. This was just... horrible, really. We forced ourselves to eat it, but that's about the most we could do. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Next is a long one, but it shouldn't take me too much time to write up. Lots of pictures, though. What is it? Well, that's where the sushi rolling comes in...

What it was was horrible. Mom proclaimed it to taste like amoxicillin, which I thankfully think I've never tried, but I don't think ice cream is supposed to taste like that.

For the uninitiated, Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum semisynthetic penicillin, AKA antibiotic. Ice cream tasting like medicine is just gross. See two "grosses" in one trip.
The rest of the ice creams were great. This was just a real miss for us, I'm sure some love it or it wouldn't be their signature flavor.

I always look forward to your updates - your reviews are informative and fun to read!

Thank you so much! I always feel so happy when someone says that. I hope you continue to read and post!

Working on the next report, though it may not be up tonight!

ooh thanks for the warning of the Sally Sells Seashells. I probably would have tried it myself. I've had my fair share of penicillin/amoxicillin to last a lifetime. I always said that it tasted like how the tire factory close by smelled like. Will have to try samples first prior to getting myself the flight. I thought the flight might have been too much but hearing the cone cost almost as much it seems the best option

Yummy reviews, enjoying, looks like some great choices!

Thank you! We try to make some good choices when we're out, at least.

ooh thanks for the warning of the Sally Sells Seashells. I probably would have tried it myself. I've had my fair share of penicillin/amoxicillin to last a lifetime. I always said that it tasted like how the tire factory close by smelled like. Will have to try samples first prior to getting myself the flight. I thought the flight might have been too much but hearing the cone cost almost as much it seems the best option

I think the flight is a fairly good deal, considering the price of a cone- and you get to try more flavors. I'd probably do the flight again to try more, although I really did love the Oatmeal Lace ice cream. I'd just avoid the orange disaster. Mom's right in that everyone's tastes are different, but I couldn't stand it.

Next post will either be out tonight or early morning tomorrow. Hopefully tonight.

So, this coming post was somewhat complicated to write. Due to the circumstances, I couldn't take notes as I worked.

What circumstances? Well, my hands were in gloves, wet and covered with rice. That's right, it was the...

SWALFIN CLASSIC FINE ART OF SUSHI AND SAKE EVENT

And it was *amazing*.

This was our set up. I'm to the left of mom: between us is a black box full of seaweed and a rice cooker (in front of the box, out of view, is a pot of wasabi and two little bowls to put it in). On the work board was a napkin and an apron (we already had plastic gloves), as well as a bamboo rolling mat for making sushi. Next to the work board was a bowl of water for getting the hands wet. To the back right were various cups for sake (two of them already full). Then in the back was a board with raw vegetables, shrimp, salmon and crab. Left of that was a grater for real wasabi root, the real wasabi root, powered wasabi like you get in most places, poppy seeds, ginger, roe and mayo. On the left were two classic sauces often put on sushi that I forget right now.

On the right is a blatant advertisement for Disney's Refillable Mug service, bringing you White Tea from the Boardwalk. Mmm.

We honestly walked in to this event with no idea what was going on. No matter how hard mom and I searched last year, we couldn't find a single review. It was 70$ per person, though, so we decided we'd chance it. And I was so glad we did.

Here's a close up of the sake cups. We were served seven sakes that night: Sesshu Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai, Kagiya Namazake Junmai, Hikos Milky Nigori Junmai, Watari Bune 55 Junmai Ginjo, Jizake Tenzan Junmai Genshu, Tenryo Kosho Junmai Daiginjo and Dassai "50" Junmai Daiginjo. They were served while we were making sushi, so it was a bit hard to keep track of what sake was what- and the sakes printed in the guide were wrong (I only got the right list by badgering it off the presenter). I can say all of them were delicious, but I think my favorites were three and four. Honestly, though, everything was good. Try those sake. I wish I could say you could probably get them at kimonos, but kimono's actually has a fairly dismal sake selection. Try the sake store in Japan.

Oh, and here's a close up of what we'd be using to make our sushi rolls. Mmm.

So, basically, the chef started with us making sashimi. We weted our hands (but not too wet), rolled an oval of rice, and put a piece of shrimp/tuna/salmon on it.

Ta-da! All the pictures of the actual sushi will be mom's, who was much more skilled at this endeavor then I was. By the end of the event, I had rice everywhere, including in my hair. Yeah. Don't ask.

We made sashimi for a while. Chef Cid (who I believe is an executive chef at the Swalfin) and the sake presenter Joe went over making sushi and making sake for us. At the front of the room, an assistant chef would make a piece of sushi and it would be filmed on a very large television so we could see exactly what was going on. The making the sashimi part was actually pretty easy, after a bit of practice. Then we grated ourselves some wasabi (which tastes very different then the powdery green dyed stuff you often get at sushi restaurants- it's both stronger and yet not as horseradishy) and started making inside out rolls.

This is a basic inside out Califironia roll- only made with real crab, not the krab with the k (Chef Sid said that's now you tell if a place is a good sushi restaurant- do they make their California rolls with real crab or not should be your first clue). We spread the rice on the outside of the sushi, then placed the usual crab, avocado and cucumber in the inside. Then using the bamboo roller we slowly rolled the sushi in to a tight roll.

Like this. :) Then we covered in roe, and one of the chef's came around and cut it in to pieces. They were also very helpful, too- I couldn't get my first roll tight enough, so one of the assistant chef's showed me how to properly roll it in slow motion.

And then there's the California Roll. Nice, right?

Here's the next roll we made, the spicy tuna roll.

And then finally, the hardest roll: the Dragon Roll, made with a tempura battered prawn. I still can't bring myself to eat shrimp's head. I'm pretty adventurous, but I haven't been able to do it yet. I should have tried right this time, but... I didn't. Maybe next time.

Here's the finished Dragon Roll, covered with sauce and cut...

And here is mom's beautiful selection of handmade sushi, all for her to eat. She's already eaten three pieces of sashimi, so with that and three rolls, that was actually quite a bit of sushi. Good sushi. There was something really cool about making them all by hand: it was a bit difficult at first, but also a ton of fun. All of it tasted lovely: we were definitely using fresh ingredients here.

Finally, here is all the sake bottles. And as a bonus, to those of us who were lingering finishing our sushi (and not rushing out to the Causeway event), we were basically told, "Hey, we can't use any of the sake that's already open, so if you want some more, go for it." Another party and we stayed and lingered over sushi and sake, talking to the assistant chef's that were still around and some of the helpers. The other group was a regular at the Swalfin Classic, and gave us some pointers- like that we really should do the pasta demonstration Chef Sid does, too- for next year. Well, this year, now.

All in all, it was an amazing experience. A huge amount of sushi that we got to make ourselves, an engaging presenter, lots of sake and general fun. I can't recommend this enough. I really wouldn't mind doing it again. The events at the Classic should definitely be considered by anyone staying at the F&W during that time.

Next is... I'm actually not sure. We'll see soon!

Well, my hands were in gloves, wet and covered with rice.

I'm sure I took a picture that somehow did not make the final cut for this review!

And it was *amazing*.

It was and many more complimentary adjectives!

a blatant advertisement for Disney's Refillable Mug service, bringing you White Tea from the Boardwalk. Mmm.

We just love that white iced tea available at the drink stations in the resort.

We were served seven sakes that night: Sesshu Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai, Kagiya Namazake Junmai, Hikos Milky Nigori Junmai, Watari Bune 55 Junmai Ginjo, Jizake Tenzan Junmai Genshu, Tenryo Kosho Junmai Daiginjo and Dassai "50" Junmai Daiginjo.

That is a lot of sake!

one of the chef's came around and cut it in to pieces.

Evidently, their insurance would not allow them to give us knifes. Go figure. { :drinking1+ Knives = :eek: }

And here is mom's beautiful selection of handmade sushi, all for her to eat.

Pretty proud of myself!

"Hey, we can't use any of the sake that's already open, so if you want some more, go for it."

They didn't have to ask us twice!

I love sushi and that looks awesome!

It was awesome!

The sushi making looks so fun...have to keep that on the "to do" list for the future!

I'd do it again! If your ever vacationing during the Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic try to book it. They usually have the event the last weekend in October.

Wow, that looks like an incredible event! You guys did a great job with the sushi. It all looks delicious!

I love sushi and that looks awesome!

It was definitely awesome.

The sushi making looks so fun...have to keep that on the "to do" list for the future!

The Swalfin Classic is the last weekend (the Friday and Saturday, actually) of every October, if I'm remembering correctly. From now on, we're always going to try and book our Food and Wine trips then, as this was amazing.

Wow, that looks like an incredible event! You guys did a great job with the sushi. It all looks delicious!

It definitely was! Mom was a pro at sushi making: she wanted me to photoshop a gold star on to her picture. My sushi wasn't nearly as nice looking, but it still tasted awesome.

Brief breakfast at...

THE TROLLEY CAR CAFE

Otherwise known as Starbucks. We get free giftcards for Starbucks due to one of mom's rewards programs, so we usually end up stopping here once or twice on at Disney trip.

Here's a chili mocha frapp and a sausage and egg sandwich on an English Muffin.

And then here's a caramel mocha frapp with an egg, cheese and ham sandwich on a crossiant.

There's not much to say about this. If you have a Starbucks near you (and you probably do, with the way these places pop up everywhere), this stuff is probably not anything out of the ordinary to you. If we were paying out of pocket, there's no way we would stop there- it's expensive- but with the giftcards, it's no real worry. The sandwiches, while small, are rather filling. The milky blendy not-all-that-coffee-like coffee drinks are always good, and don't have the bitterness of Starbucks's hot coffee. So all in all, it's a decent breakfast, but it's not really anything worth celebrating. Only place to go now that Starring Rolls is gone, though, I suppose.

Next... Brown Derby Lounge.

I really enjoyed reading your review and loving the sushi and sake adventure during F&W. We used to live in Tokyo for 3 years (due to work) and miss dearly for quality sushi and sake. Thankfully, we do have a sushi place run by Japanese Itamae with authentic sushi. All those pictures make me crave for some good sushi. And I miss dearly for F&W Festival. We've been to last 10 F&W Festival except last year because of DS's school and activities. Gone are those days for us until he graduates high school. :sad2:

Sushi event looks fantastic, especially making myself as I'd have to omit some things. Just missed it last year. Knowing it should be around that timeframe I'll have to look for it in the future. Will be going there this Oct but starting a cruise that Friday

Here's a chili mocha frapp

I love Starbuck's chili mocha flavor! Even thought in general I think Starbuck's is way over priced.

Thankfully, we do have a sushi place run by Japanese Itamae with authentic sushi. All those pictures make me crave for some good sushi. And I miss dearly for F&W Festival. We've been to last 10 F&W Festival except last year because of DS's school and activities. Gone are those days for us until he graduates high school. :sad2:

I've been craving sushi for about three weeks. We have OK places, but nothing amazing around here. Kids and schools interfering with vacations. :( Just when they are old enough to leave alone, they are too old to leave alone - right?

Will be going there this Oct but starting a cruise that Friday

The Swan and Dolphin Classic is October 27 and 28 this year. Looks like the cruise will make you miss it. I guess you need to try again next year!

Mikka should be back, maybe tomorrow, with an update. Nag her a bit, it's always worked for me!

I really enjoyed reading your review and loving the sushi and sake adventure during F&W. We used to live in Tokyo for 3 years (due to work) and miss dearly for quality sushi and sake. Thankfully, we do have a sushi place run by Japanese Itamae with authentic sushi. All those pictures make me crave for some good sushi. And I miss dearly for F&W Festival. We've been to last 10 F&W Festival except last year because of DS's school and activities. Gone are those days for us until he graduates high school. :sad2:

As mom says, the sushi around here isn't really good. We have a fantastic ramen restaurant, but no real good sushi place. :( I'm so jealous of living in Tokyo... I'm definitely going to visit there sometime soon!

Sushi event looks fantastic, especially making myself as I'd have to omit some things. Just missed it last year. Knowing it should be around that timeframe I'll have to look for it in the future. Will be going there this Oct but starting a cruise that Friday

The sushi event was so much fun! A cruise might be even better, though.

I love Starbuck's chili mocha flavor! Even thought in general I think Starbuck's is way over priced.

You owe me Starbucks this weekend. :D

Coming today will be hopefully two reviews. My apologies for being absent like this: a few things came up, though nothing major. I should be back on track now.

Here we go, the...

BROWN DERBY LOUNGE

Mom and I almost always end up stopping here, though it looks like it'll be a miss for our next trip.

Mom got the Cobb Salad, which I'm guessing you've seen pictures of before (this is the appetizer size version). It's exactly what you would expect from a Cobb Salad, and it's extremely high quality. This is the only time in our trip I regretted our informal rule that you can't order what the other person ordered: I wished I could have had a Cobb Salad, too. Look, this isn't anything out of the ordinary: you can probably get a good Cobb Salad in whatever city you're nearest too. But after eating nothing but junk or rich food (and, okay, sushi), sometimes you just need a salad, and this is a great salad.

I ordered the Andouille Crusted Shrimp. The menu claimed it was supposed to come with a micro salad, but the menu apparently lied. That said, this was decent: not as good as the Cobb Salad, but the shrimp had a nice flavor to them. The chedder grits were the best part. It just wasn't that noteworthy.

Mom had a Mint Julip, made with Woodford Reserve Bourben. Mom said she should order these more often. Quite refreshing.

And I had... the worst drink in the world.

Also known as a Grapefruit Cake Martini. Made with Deep Eddy's Ruby Red Vodka, Stoli Vanilla Vodka and cream (with a vanilla wafer rim), I thought I would like this. I'm not the biggest fan of grapefruit, but I do like the Ruby Red Vodka. Yet to me, this was horrific. The cream just did not work for me at all: if it was just the two vodka's, it probably would have been alright for me, but I did not like the way they tasted with the gream. I thought medicine generally tasted better. I saw a lady at another table go through three of these, so I'm sure they have their market, but I just couldn't do it. I ended up getting a glass of ice and pouring the martini in there to dilute it, but that of course made the drink bigger. It just... aggh. It didn't work for me at all, and I think it's the worst thing I've ever drank. Worse then the flavored vitamin powders mom makes me drink before vacations, worse then the time I ordered a sake martini and they just mixed their cheapest sake and vodkas together, worse then mom's nemesis campari. I wouldn't say don't order this like I did the ice cream, but just have my warning.

I then ordered a Rusty Nail, that I shared with mom. This is much more to my tastes, and is what I should have ordered in the first place. Classic cocktails are really the best at the Brown Derby, after all.

(Mom wants one of the hat glowcubes. Do they come with any classics?)

Next, more cocktails! That aren't the worst drinks in the world!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter