Redeeming Delta Skymiles

Liz

Make a miracle!
If I try booking a flight for Oct. 5th of next year on Delta's website it'll give me a quote. But if I try to see if Skymiles seats are available for that date it says its beyond the 331 day mark. Is there a different rule for how far out you can make a reservation vs. redeeming Skymiles? I'm trying to redeem for October 6th so just checking to make sure I don't miss the correct day!

Also does anyone know if Skymiles seats are all SkyChoice if you are trying for a Friday or Saturday? Just checking other dates to Orlando it seems the SkyChoice seats are only available mid-week.

Thanks!

Nope, it's 331 days whether you purchase your tickets or redeem SkyMiles.
Add up the number of days in each full month between now and then (31+31+28+etc) then add the number of days into October until your trip, then subtract that from 331 and remember you need to wait until your return date opens up, and you should be able to calculate when you can book your entire flight.
Or you can do what I did - suck up the $5 fee for booking with a live person and let Delta do this all for you :teeth: with ONE ticket, then go online and book the rest yourself. Or just call Delta and tell them which two dates you want to fly, and ask what's the first date you can book that trip. Then get online right after midnight on the date they give you and book.

As for SkyChoice only on weekends? I hadn't considered that. I had to change the dates of my upcoming DisneyLand trip to redeem SkySaver miles, but I thought that was because of Thanksgiving. Hmm...

Thanks! But what I don't understand about the dates is it'll let me book a regular ticket for October 5th but it says its too soon to redeem a Skymiles seat for that same date (that will let me book up until October 4th right now). Weird.

If I have bought Delta tickets already from Travelocity....can I apply for Delta Skymiles after the fact ?

wee-haggis said:
If I have bought Delta tickets already from Travelocity....can I apply for Delta Skymiles after the fact ?
Delta will let you add your SkyMiles number to the itinerary. You may need to go thru Travelocity, or you might be able to do this thru Delta. At the very least, you will be able to claim the miles afetr the flight by sending in copies of the boarding passes to Delta, though this is likely the most hassle.
Liz said:
Thanks! But what I don't understand about the dates is it'll let me book a regular ticket for October 5th but it says its too soon to redeem a Skymiles seat for that same date (that will let me book up until October 4th right now). Weird.
The computer is a day behind the rest fo the system. In order to buy (or reserve the first leg, in this case) at 331 days, you need to call the SkyMiles telephone number (on your card; or I could PM it to you). I have gotten SkyMiles tix at 331 days on two different occasions, so I have some experience with this.

One thing you should do right away is reserve the first leg of the trip. This way you lock in the 25k mile per ticket price (if available). Then when your return minus 331 comes up, you can complete the booking. You can hold the first leg until the second becomes available to book. You're looking at Columbus Day Weekend (aka Canadian Thxgiving), so reserving at 331 days is a really good idea, if you want to fly on a cheaper SkyMiles tix (25k) rather than a more expensive SkyChoice tix (50k).

One more thought Liz; in case the SkyMiles tix @25k miles are not available for the flight you want, and you are looking at a SkyChoice tix @50k miles, try a First Class tix instead. The First Class tix at the SkyMiles level will run you 45k miles (no way I'd blow 90k for the SkyChoice 1st Class, but the lower level is worth looking at, esp at 331 days).

Another thing to consider: If you might be changing your plans, you will want to go with the SkyChoice tix, as those will allow you to change the itinerary at no cost; with the cheaper SkyMiles tix, any change will cost you.

Good luck with your booking! Let us know how it comes out.

Here's the trick...put in Oct. 4 and then hit next day when it brings up the schedule to get the schedule for the 5th.

We could fly to Orlando any day of the week with a Skysaver seat, but only return Tues-Thurs.

A couple of months ago I was able to get 2 first class skysaver tickets departing on a Saturday and returning on the next Saturday (for next spring). It took a couple of different tries over a couple of days...at first I couldn't find any skysaver flights at good times but eventually, I found them. I'm not sure about coach rules, though...

Thanks for all the great info! Pumpkinboy, yes, please e-mail or PM me the phone number I need to call in case the online thing doesn't work! I'll try to find it in my paperwork in the meantime but if you get this message soon then I'd love to have it!

Also we only have approx. 32,000 miles each to use so if we can't get SkySaver tix then we're outta luck for this trip.

NOT necessarily, Liz! Granted, it's not cheap - but you can purchase up to 15,000 miles per year in increments of 1,000. I don't have my SkyMiles number with me, so can't check the prices, but you would need about 13,000 each. It would be worthwhile to ME to fly First Class for the extra charge, but then, I'm flying across the country - and Song doesn't have First Class anyway. Yet. And of course, when they do, they'll be Delta.

I'm confused about the first class thing. Are you saying you can fly round trip first class for 45,000 miles?

And I guess if I have to have them hold the first portion of the trip until the 2nd leg becomes available, I'll have to call instead of doing it online. Are they open 24 hrs?

Thanks!

To answer your last question first: Yes, you can fly 1st class round-trip for 45k miles. With your current balance, this is not likely tho.

As for purchasing the extra miles needed for a particular ticket, it gets kind of expensive: sometimes almost as expensive as buying a ticket. Sure, maybe if you're say 1000 miles short of a free ticket, it might pay, but much beyond that and it gets a little pricey. 5,000 miles will run you $140, for example. It looks like its $28 per thousand extra skymiles, with a maximum you can buy of 10,000.

I PM'd you the number. Remember, reserve the outbound portion while it's still available at the 25k level; then finalize once the return flight opens up.
Good luck with your reservations.

What a joke! I talked to two Delta reps, both in India. The first guy said to call back when my return flight was open and they'd be happy to check availability for my whole trip. I thanked him, hung up and called again.

The only SkySaver flight available from SLC to MCO on October 6th leaves at 11:45 PM and arrives in Orlando at 8:13 the following morning. I'm not sure this is a flight I really want. Also she ran into trouble when trying to hold it for me because the 8:13 flight arrives on the 7th, which she can't book until tomorrow.

There's a SkySaver seat into Jacksonville on the 6th that leaves SLC at 12:50 PM and arrives at 9:45 PM. I'm considering going that route. My mom lives in Jacksonville so that really might be an okay option.

One more question please! Are you guys sure if I have them hold the flight on the 6th there will be no penalty if I cancel it? I would only do that if there ends up being no good choices for our return date. Unfortunately for this trip we can't be real flexible on dates due to kids school schedule and available vacation time from work.

Thanks for all the help!

Liz said:
...One more question please! Are you guys sure if I have them hold the flight on the 6th there will be no penalty if I cancel it? I would only do that if there ends up being no good choices for our return date. Unfortunately for this trip we can't be real flexible on dates due to kids school schedule and available vacation time from work...
Liz, I am sure; I have done it!
e.g. Back in May 2004, I was reserving for April school vacation 2005 (so also not real flexible on dates) and managed to score three SkySaver tix for the outbound; then a week later (at midnight, of course) when I went looking for the return flight, and only found one at the SkySaver rate. So I cancelled the other two SkySaver outbounds - no penalty. We ended up doing a SkyChoice ticket in addition to the remaining Sky Saver ticket, and paid (a lot!) for the two other tickets. It was all worth it since we got non-stop flights at perfect times; yeah, we were hoping to spend our 75k skymiles on three tix and only have one cash fare to buy, but the two tix for that 75k saved us $1,200.

Good luck with the ressies!

Just an update! It worked out really well using our Skymiles! We got four round trip tickets using miles for $85! My DH and two kids had enough miles for free tickets. I needed 3000 miles so I transferred them from my son to me for $55. Then we had to just pay $7.50 per ticket for tax/fee!

We were able to get tickets into and out of Orlando (instead of Jacksonville). The only concession we had to make was coming back on Saturday night instead of Sunday. But that'll give us a day to recoup at home before heading back to school & work the next day. I'm happy! Thanks for all the advice here!!!

I just posted a question about Delta but as some of you guys are obviously Delta users perhaps you can answer.

Is Delta good - what are your thoughts good or bad. I have a 14 hour flight and want the most comfortable - if that's possible on a 14 hour flight in economy!

thanks

Traveling out of Orlando to Honolulu next October.

Depature date: October 12 (can be booked)
Return date: October 24 (too early to book--can book in 8 days).

Called India--actually Delta, but man oh man was that a tough conversation.

I'm staring at the screen--tells me that XYZ flight is available for Skysaver. He looks it up--he can't book it. I ask him why I can and he can't--so he transfers me to the web people--who still haven't picked up. :rotfl:

So here is what I did---b/c I can get Skysaver--by 10K miles on my card--and the 4 of us fly for less than $500 to Hawaii. :banana:

I placed on hold 4 tickets...from HNL to MCO departing Oct 12 returning Oct 15.

I interrupt this post---the guy couldn't book the flight that was clearly showing as available on the computer...so he transfers me to an American aka web support! So--she gave me the secret...if you are trying to do something on-line and it isn't working.... ;) ;) ;) ;) she says to call them at web support. :cheer2: I'm writing it on my skymiles card with a sharpie!

Anywho---back to the regularly scheduled post. It seems that in 8 days, I can indeed go in and modify my reservation--and if return seats are available for skysaver--I can book them. Wahooooo!!!! :moped:

Net cost of our 4 tix will be $371.80.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!! After my hubby's crappy experience at Dulles today...this is just such a wonderful discovery for me!

And if not for this thread--I'd still be dilly dallying on when to get our tix!

With Delta, among others, filing for bankruptcy, does anyone know if our flyer miles are really in jeopardy? I read a newspaper article (I think in USA Today) that said Delta travelers should use their mlles within a year. I have over 200,000 miles and no plans to use them this year. Should I be planning an unexpected "first class trip" somewhere exotic for the family?

I think it would be loyalty suicide for them to no longer honor skymiles.

The skymiles is why many continue to fly--especially if there isn't much difference in ticket price.

No longer honor the miles--and they'll tank sooo fast. Can't keep customers if you willfully tink them off. It would be a disaster of a business decision.

Also--we've seen nothing in our updates to state otherwise.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Traveling out of Orlando to Honolulu next October.

Depature date: October 12 (can be booked)
Return date: October 24 (too early to book--can book in 8 days).

Called India--actually Delta, but man oh man was that a tough conversation.

I'm staring at the screen--tells me that XYZ flight is available for Skysaver. He looks it up--he can't book it. I ask him why I can and he can't--so he transfers me to the web people--who still haven't picked up. :rotfl:

So here is what I did---b/c I can get Skysaver--by 10K miles on my card--and the 4 of us fly for less than $500 to Hawaii. :banana:

I placed on hold 4 tickets...from HNL to MCO departing Oct 12 returning Oct 15.

I interrupt this post---the guy couldn't book the flight that was clearly showing as available on the computer...so he transfers me to an American aka web support! So--she gave me the secret...if you are trying to do something on-line and it isn't working.... ;) ;) ;) ;) she says to call them at web support. :cheer2: I'm writing it on my skymiles card with a sharpie!

Anywho---back to the regularly scheduled post. It seems that in 8 days, I can indeed go in and modify my reservation--and if return seats are available for skysaver--I can book them. Wahooooo!!!! :moped:

Net cost of our 4 tix will be $371.80.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!! After my hubby's crappy experience at Dulles today...this is just such a wonderful discovery for me!

And if not for this thread--I'd still be dilly dallying on when to get our tix!

Good luck with your return flight! Keep us posted on how it all works out! Thanks for the tip about calling web support. That's great to know. And I agree with your comment about talking to India.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter