Recommendations for motion sickness

Bonine works great for me and while it is a non-drowsy formula, it makes me drowsy and I usually want to take a nap later that day. If I don't nap (which is most often the case), I sleep really deep for a long time overnight.

The non-drowsy stuff makes me sleep and sleep and sleep. Ten hours and I still won’t want to get out of bed.

DIL might prefer to avoid the drugs and stay off the rides that would make her sick. If you want to be helpful, gather the info about the rides so that she can make an informed decision about each ride. If you share info about drugs she can take so that she can ride, she might feel pressured to join you. And if she feels pressured to ride and then feels ill, she will not be a happy camper and she might be resentful.

Last edited:
I’m a fan of the scopolamine patches, but as previous posters mentioned these are prescription. They work wonders and 1 lasts up to 72 hours. I don’t do well on spinning rides, but if I’m wearing the patch I can go on tea cups as long as I don’t spin it. I would say the things that effect me the most are the motion simulator rides, but Disney’s seem a lot more tame than universals. The first time I went to universal I was sick almost all day after the Simpson ride. Also want to reiterate DO NOT GO ON MISSION SPACE or your whole day will be ruined.

My son can not take a lot of otc meds because they mix with his daily meds. Seabands work so well
Same! Bonine has worked well for mine though. Its more scary if he did get nauseous and threw up his daily meds. We tried it at home, before we got on a cruise years ago, and he didnt have any issues, so continue to use it at amusement parks/cruises.

Question: Does sea bands prevent motion sickness or relieve it? Can you put them on after you get sick to feel better? Or is it only to prevent getting sick?
Its claims both, though my son puts it on every morning during vacation and doesnt take it off until showering/bed, so I cant answer from experience with post sickness.

You might have her talk to her doctor. If she really has a lot of trouble with motion sickness, she might benefit from vestibular rehabilitation therapy. If she does have a disorder, she has time to do treatment to make this much better. Made a world of difference to me! I still stay off tea cups, mission space, and starvtiurs, but I can ride so many more things now!

I use Bonine on cruises and the trick is to start ahead of time and keep it up for the time you need it. I also use sea bands...for the one asking about when to use sea bands...my favorite example was stepping on the cruise ship and immediately feeling queasy...popped on my bands, sensation stops. Disney is different from cruises as its not the constant motion...but motion sick folks will find what works for them...it may be they only need the occasional pill or using sea bands during the ride..,it really is different for everyone.

I use meclizine as well. I take one pill each night before going to bed, and don’t have any issues. Those 360 degree movies make me sick as a dog if I don’t take the pill.

Its claims both, though my son puts it on every morning during vacation and doesnt take it off until showering/bed, so I cant answer from experience with post sickness.

I get sick on every ride, but it’s so mild that I usually just deal with it. So I was hoping to only use them as needed for the worst of times. I’m like others where even non-drowsy medication puts me right to sleep. But it makes more sense that it’s preventing sickness rather than relieving it. I guess it’ll just have to be trial and error for me or wear them all day which I wanted to avoid. Thanks though. I appreciate your reply.

I use meclizine as well. I take one pill each night before going to bed, and don’t have any issues. Those 360 degree movies make me sick as a dog if I don’t take the pill.

That Canada movie is the WORST for me. You couldn’t pay me to go back in that building. And this is coming from someone who will tough it out on mission space orange for my kid who loves it. :rotfl2:

My DIL has never been to Disney and we are hoping to do a family trip in 2022. Unfortunately she is prone to motion sickness. How do those of you with the same issue manage to maximize rides? What products help with that? I don’t want her left out as we all ride but also don’t want her to be miserable. I want her first trip to be a positive one. TIA

Not sure about her age, but you could check with her doctor about scopolamine patches. They don’t cause as much sleepiness as dramamine does.

It is a very expensive option, but if you want to avoid medication, this works 100% of the time for me. It does send a small shock to your wrist, but you only have to use it on the rides. I sometimes double up with some Dramamine but I don't think it is really that necessary, and that is only for long car rides which are my Achilles heel. https://www.reliefband.com/products...p2n3PGnep3pUNDGtRun9aAU0OnW9BwDgaAmjKEALw_wcB

Same! Bonine has worked well for mine though. Its more scary if he did get nauseous and threw up his daily meds. We tried it at home, before we got on a cruise years ago, and he didnt have any issues, so continue to use it at amusement parks/cruises.
Yes, and the dramamine ginger did nothing btw.. just wasted $8

Question: Does sea bands prevent motion sickness or relieve it? Can you put them on after you get sick to feel better? Or is it only to prevent getting sick?
We wear them all day because they dont bother us, but the directions say you can take them off.

They work in pressure points, before we used the bands my DH would hold pressure on his wrist about two fingers up and it worked but the band it better because it holds it for you the whole time.

Have the person try Bonine in advance to see if it makes them tired. As mentioned above, it's best to start taking it a couple days before travel, and take it at bedtime. You can also try half a tablet if it makes them too sleepy. (I once had motion sickness as a car passenger and I chewed one and felt great in 20 minutes. It does not make me sleepy.)

My friend swears by the sea bands.

I have used scopolamine patch and it works but causes severe dry mouth. Also if you take off the patch, the side effects may persist for a day or two. So I would also try that in advance if you are thinking of using the patch.

There are plenty of rides that won't make someone feel motion sick. I would stick to those rides and let the others in your party do the rides they like.

No star tours, my DH got very sick after that. He was able to ride flight of passage after a few adult beverages, he finds that works at times. I would avoid screen rides if they have motion sickness. My DH can handle all the other rides fine as long as there aren’t screens.

Motion sickness varies pretty widely from one person to the next. For some, spinning rides are the culprit, others can't take roller coasters or maybe just avoid 3D screen projections. If she's very motion sensitive, all of the above plus the bus ride might be...vomitacious.
Remedies from least strength to most are ginger and Sea Bands, meclizine (non-drowsy Dramamine, Bonine) or antihistamine (Zyrtec, Claritin, diphenhydramine), regular Dramamine, scopolamine patch (by presecription).

For Disney I like meclizine and coffee, because it makes me drowsy, and I avoid a lot of rides. I'd rather miss a three minute thrill ride than need to return to the hotel to lie down. Fortunately, the thrill rides have some great queues. So, I wait in line with my group, then take the chicken exit when they board the ride. 3-5 minutes later, they're done and I meet them as they exit. Cast members are happy to help! Just ask for the chicken exit right before your party boards. It's usually right there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter