Recent trip could be our last for a long while.

Polybound

Mouseketeer
It had been several years since our last trip to the World, but our recent trip pretty much did me in. Our child is entering the college program and told us that the week after the last week on the job, we can come with free admission and half price stays at any resort. Thanks, but no thanks, not going to do it.

Too many rides including the Monorail going down for hours at a time;
Too many people in the Magic Kingdom;
Too many ECV's;
Too many double wide strollers - double strollers should all be front and back, infrastructure was just not designed to handle the large numbers of ECV's, double wide strollers and the enormous crowds that they're having at the MK;
Too long of waits in stand-by lines for attractions that use to be walk-on.

I know eventually I'll be back, but at this point, the wait cant be long enough.

It had been several years since our last trip to the World, but our recent trip pretty much did me in. Our child is entering the college program and told us that the week after the last week on the job, we can come with free admission and half price stays at any resort. Thanks, but no thanks, not going to do it.

Too many ECV's;
Too many double wide strollers - double strollers should all be front and back, infrastructure was just not designed to handle the large numbers of ECV's, double wide strollers and the enormous crowds that they're having at the MK;

I know eventually I'll be back, but at this point, the wait cant be long enough.

Sorry you're not impressed.

I'd do it for free admission and half price stays at any resort. Just go and walk around for a few hours and enjoy your resort! Why not?

Sorry you're not impressed.

I'd do it for free admission and half price stays at any resort. Just go and walk around for a few hours and enjoy your resort! Why not?

Like said, I know we'll be back, but the reasons why are listed above. We've stayed at many of the resorts and hanging out at a resort isn't for us. At this point, we'd rather be exploring National Parks.

But....

Half price and free admission!

Can't do the National Parks for that price, I don't think?

DW is a different game now, with a different strategy.

I hear you, we actually planned to stop coming and was going to just wait for 2021 and the 50th anniversary. A lot of the same reasons you listed. that back fired a little when everything lined up and we moved here but I kind of like picking and choosing when and why I go into the parks and more flexible on what I don't do now.

This year was interesting. spring was wonderful and crowds like the old days, not many strollers and wheelchairs/ecvs or it was just comfortable enough that nobody got in each others way. summer got crowded and fall has been "I think disney is lying to us about attendence decline:.

If I came here on a weeks vacation that wasn't spring, it would have been the tipping point and I suspect for many they are viewing the same as you are and I don't blame them. I can't see it being better with things opening what looks like every year and soon epcot is going to be wall city (finally).

Last edited:
But....

Half price and free admission!

Can't do the National Parks for that price, I don't think?

For one, the week in question would be the first week in June. Even with free everything, we'd never go that week. Way, way too crowded. My plan for a return trip wont be until construction at Hollywood Studios is complete, construction at AK is complete, the Redo of Tomorrowland is complete and the redo of EPCOT is complete. Then and only then, maybe.

Unless things have changed you wouldn't be staying for free and half off rooms the week after their last week anyways. Disney perks end the last day of our program and most people only have a day or two off at the end.

And CP CMs only accrue Comp Tickets based on the number of hours they have worked. As soon as they end their last day and turn in their Main Gate and ID, they become a regular guest.

I think it might(?) get better at MK, once Pandora at AK opens, and maybe even more people will be shifted, once Star wars land opens at the Studios in 2019 (?) or 2020.

I pity DL, their crowds will get even worse when their SW land opens.

Separating the free trip aspects in June, I can relate to your feeling about it being your last trip for awhile.

I love the trip planning (well, most of it anyway), love the actual trip and reminiscing about the trip for months later but to be honest, I always leave WDW thinking it's our last trip for awhile. My reasons might be different from yours but I think I feel that way because reality sets in and I'm better able to separate the good parts of being at WDW from the annoying, painful reality of being there.

And maybe one reason your trip wasn't so good was the timing. Disney has truly succeeded in convincing the world that December is uncrowded and beautiful. I know, we have done 3 December trips in different December weeks and each time we found it more crowded that the last.

But....

True, true, true!

Too many ECV's;

We get it - you think it was too crowded. Is there a reason you needed to single out people with disabilities and small children?

We get it - you think it was too crowded. Is there a reason you needed to single out people with disabilities and small children?

I don't think it was meant as an attack on children or the disabled. OP makes an astute observation concerning the infrastructure and increased use of double wide strollers and ECVs.

And the sad fact is, a lot of people who don't actually need them hire ECVs just to tour WDW. I've watched groups of late teens/early twenties kids race each other on ECVs through fantasyland, then jump off and race each other on foot to get into queues. CM's will reach down and grab the keys out of ECVs to prevent drivers from causing imminent accidents. Please don't get me wrong, I am very sympathetic to those with disabilities. My uncle has had MS since his early 20's (in his 70's now), he requires an ECV, and I've been on the opposite side of this argument. I've done Disney with him and his ECV.

I haven't been back for four years now. I have found other vacation destinations that suit us fine. We have done over 40 Disney World trips and we are Midwesterners. We've been to many National Parks. We will return to Disney World probably in Dec 2017.

For free admission and half price resorts I would absolutely go to Disney World while you get a deal. The National Parks will be there in the future. You might be able to do both.

Consider planning a different kind of Disney trip. First week of June you can enjoy the Flower and Garden show at Epcot. Take in the shows, exhibits and live entertainment. If you don't need front and center seats for shows you should be able to get into those shows quite easily. You don't have to do ride after ride.

Take some of the special tours. Yes you may have to pay for those tours but it will give you another insight into Disney World.

Do your FP+ for your favorites at each park. The wait shouldn't be too bad.

Utilize extra magic hours especially in the morning and the crowd factor will be better at least for a few hours. Head towards the back of the park before the park opens to the public.

Last edited:

Unless things have changed you wouldn't be staying for free and half off rooms the week after their last week anyways. Disney perks end the last day of our program and most people only have a day or two off at the end.

And CP CMs only accrue Comp Tickets based on the number of hours they have worked. As soon as they end their last day and turn in their Main Gate and ID, they become a regular guest.

Yeah DD's last day ended with her becoming a regular guest just like us, and she even worked her last day. ZERO perks. I would be shocked if they actually did this.

Perhaps there was a comment that a week after she started she would have access to the perks. So many ask when their family can come and visit with tickets and special rates, I could see this being said.

Well, I guess we know OP's response to this proverbial question...

1fGqK27.jpg

Too many ECV's;

So there were too many people, mainly families with small children and disabled people. I'm sorry their enjoyment of the park got in your way?

FYI, when we go down with our four small children (shudder) we do have a front to back stroller, but the older two will be holding an adult's hand at all times. Don't worry though, we are headed down soon and surely won't be in your way.

Too many ECV's;
Too many double wide strollers

Ehm... except the rides being down, which is a case of bad luck, most things you are listing will not be changed after a few years of absence. Crowds keep increasing and result in longer stand-by lines and I think more and more people will use ECVs in the future. No idea about the strollers but they are not likely to change into a different type.

The infrastructure will definitely not change.

Knowing that, why would you even think about going back? To me the only reason to do so is because of the CP. Not the free tickets but because your child might be proud of being in the CP and want to show off and wants to be generous with the perks s/he will getting. Just go to be supportive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter