Recent Mediterranean cruisers - Civitavecchia port to train question

mae5731

Mouseketeer
Google is giving me all sorts of conflicting reports on how to get from the ship to the train station if we would like to do Rome on our own. I think part of the problem is people are giving responses that may be a bit outdated.

Can we take the shuttle to Fort Michelangelo then walk to the train station? Or do we have to take the shuttle, to the bus (inexpensive, but a fee) and finally arrive at the train station?

I haven't found where there is an option to just walk the entire thing (and it looks like that could be a hike).

Google is giving me all sorts of conflicting reports on how to get from the ship to the train station if we would like to do Rome on our own. I think part of the problem is people are giving responses that may be a bit outdated.

Can we take the shuttle to Fort Michelangelo then walk to the train station? Or do we have to take the shuttle, to the bus (inexpensive, but a fee) and finally arrive at the train station?

I haven't found where there is an option to just walk the entire thing (and it looks like that could be a hike).

From what I remember, the shuttle just stops at the shuttle stop and not along the way, but it could depend on where we dock and how many other ships are in port that day.

We walked through town to the train station from where the shuttle drops it took about 10 minutes at speed (CM only have one speed when off in port and it's pretty quick) however, once we got to the station the trains were so slow/ delayed that by the time we got to Rome we would have had to turn around and come right back again, so we just had lunch in Civi, and never got a break long enough to try again.

I don't know about busses, but usually in Italy you have to buy bus tickets before you get on at a tabaconists (I think that's the word), but there plenty of taxis around and it's only a short ride from the port to the train station.

I hope that help/makes sense. I never really got off in Civi because for a CM it's a track and not a lot to do so it's the European port I'm probably least knowledgeable in....

We took a cab from the station to the port, but we just walked back. It sucked carrying our luggage (felt like I was on the amazing race), but it's doable for sure.

I haven't done the train but if you want to go to Rome on your own I would highly recommend taking the bus from the ship directly to the city. That's what we did. It's about 99 each or at least it was. My TA cautioned against taking the train since you are stuck with the train schedule and if you miss it or it's late, the ship is not waiting. They drop you off at a central location and then you have several hours on your own before getting picked up again. The hop on hop off bus is a great inexpensive way to see the city.

I haven't done the train but if you want to go to Rome on your own I would highly recommend taking the bus from the ship directly to the city. That's what we did. It's about 99 each or at least it was. My TA cautioned against taking the train since you are stuck with the train schedule and if you miss it or it's late, the ship is not waiting. They drop you off at a central location and then you have several hours on your own before getting picked up again. The hop on hop off bus is a great inexpensive way to see the city.

I second taking a ship bus into the city. Not only are you at the whims of the train - that potentially also involves strikes. And if a strike happens, it *could* happen mid-day when you're already in Rome. Then what?

I would take the train, It's very easy. It's a 20 minute walk from where the port bus drops you off. Get back on the train at Roma termini and not San peidre sp? You will get a seat since the train originates from there. Get off at San P leaving the port you will be a 10 minutes from Vatican. You can take the metro from the Vatican to the coliseum and then back to the train station. It's all very easy. Just leave early be prepared. Do your homework. I wouldn't take the bus. You'll be sitting in traffic for 2 to 3 hours back to the port. The train takes about an hour and it's very comfortable. We left at 9am and were back on the ship at 6pm. We have taken trains all over Europe. Best way to travel in my opinion.

We did a cruise a few years ago and we booked the Rome on your Own (Part Adventure). Main reason: you are picked up at the ship, dropped of on the St. Peters Square, you have 6 hours free time and the pick up is at the same spot where you were dropped off. And also important: when you do a Port Adventure the ship will always wait for you is case of late arrival of the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter