Recent experiences with Frontier?

Momma2PrinceNPrinces

DIS Veteran
So even with paying for the “Works” package, we’d be saving over $700 vs SW for 4 seats (same days and non stop). I know we only each get 1 free bag, as opposed to 2 with SW, but not too concerned with that as we’re only going for 6 days. But, we haven’t flown Frontier in ages! I’m curious to know some of your current experiences (good and bad) before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

We used them last year for the first time, and we had no issues. It was a great experience! Which airport are you coming from? I just wish they had more flights each day!

These days we only fly Frontier for last minute trips, but we're in DC and have numerous airlines with same if not better prices.

Depending on Frontiers flight options where you are, if a cancelation occurs, it could be days before getting another flight. In my past experience, customer service is terrible (phone, not at the gate) and I had to eventually dispute charge with my credit card to get $ back after the agent actually hung up on me. I had been trying to use credits from a previously canceled flight but flight again canceled and they had no flight options that I could use. I wanted a refund since credits were expiring IIRC.

If Frontier has multi-day or at least everyday options, I'd prob save the $700 (considering SW recent track record over the past year too). No frills but we found Frontier to be fine.

We last flew them in 2021 when a snowstorm was coming and left 2 days early, taking credits with the other airline rather than get canceled for weather. Booked Frontier at 1 pm and on a plane at 4:30 :)

Edited to add:
I remember now. They'd canceled a flight, so I booked one within their (limited) window before credits expired, but then they'd canceled that and all subsequent flights for months, meaning my credits would expire when their service was flying from my airport again. They refused to give me a refund or extend my credits. I was able to get refund via dispute.

Last edited:
Your checked bag allowance is 40lbs.

Frontier has been using sizers to measure personal bags. Pax with bags that miss by a small amount are still charged $99. The attendant who measures your bag earns $10 for pax they charge.

Haven't been on Frontier recently, but flown successfully in the past with no issues. Personally, in the winter I would rather get stuck at an airport where there is heat/light/bathrooms and food rather then chance a long car trip where you might be stuck outside on some impassible freeway and miles of traffic due to a big weather event like snow/ice. Any airline might have to cancel flights when there is bad weather. I just go back home and travel when things improve.

Airlines also seem more proactive in the last few years of cancelling flights BEFORE major weather events to minimize the number of people stranded at some airport and/or having planes out of position when conditions improve. I would be more concerned with choosing Southwest and their known antiquated computer system that is just as likely to crash the next time there is a major weather event.

Depending on Frontiers flight options where you are, if a cancelation occurs, it could be days before getting another flight. In my past experience, customer service is terrible (phone, not at the gate) and I had to eventually dispute charge with my credit card to get $ back after the agent actually hung up on me. I had been trying to use credits from a previously canceled flight but flight again canceled and they had no flight options that I could use. I wanted a refund since credits were expiring IIRC.
I have never flown Frontier, much less done so recently. But this post reminded me of something I read...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/shephy...an-to-human-customer-service/?sh=7be7d7841f22

I would be hesitant to book with an airline that you CAN'T get a human for CS help. Granted, you can be on hold for a LONG time with other airlines, but this looks like it's impossible.

Flew home with them on Christmas Day after SWA debacle left me stranded on Christmas Eve. Flight was completely uneventful. We flew them back in 2017 round trip and the flight was fine as well. We actually had a brand new plane in 2017.

As long as you know what you’re getting into (all the fees for everything, bag charges, bag sizes, no snacks, etc), I think they are fine.

However, I would not choose Frontier for a very time sensitive trip (like flying in the day before a cruise). They don’t run very many flights and don’t code share, so if your flight gets cancelled, you’re out of luck and might not have time to find alternative arrangements (even if your willing to pay). But for a week long trip to WDW, I would have zero problems booking Frontier if the price was right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter