• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent 1st Stay at Polynesian Resort

BobDes

Earning My Ears
This past May was our 1st stay at the Poly. DVC members since 2006 with SSR as our home. We have stayed in Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Contempo, All-Star Music, Caribbean Beach, Swan, and Coronado Springs. Needless to say, we were VERY excited about this trip! We have eaten at Kona Café and O'hana before and have always loved the theming of the resort.

Upon arrival, there was a cast member at the entrance with leis but only seemed to be giving them to kids. I walked up to her and she gave me one. Not sure why "only" kids, but...
The check in was smooth and simple. We got our anniversary buttons and smiles (NO "Welcome Home") and got the building and floor that I had requested so I was very happy!

The Tokelau building is GREAT! Close to pool, beach and TTC. 3rd floor room and to the right had a view of the castle. The room was beautiful and well appointed, At first inspection, it was very clean. The paint was bright and inviting and the colors of the room gave it a warm and welcoming feeling. Having 2 showers worked out great. Plus the sofa was clean and the cushions were not all smashed and flat where you can feel the frame of the bed inside. lol. The TV was also huge for a room of that size.
... HOWEVER... upon further inspection, the floor of the shower stall was moldy as was the lower wall and shower seat. There is absolutely NO excuse for this and was due to lazy housekeeping. I have a background is hotel sales and hospitality and this is inexcusable. Throughout the stay, as with past DVC stays I find that most, not all, but most housekeepers are not the friendliest and just seem to be going through the motions. Cell phone use (calls and texting) was rampant. We also didn't get our linens changed for 8 days. Just garbage picked up.

The rest of the trip, the front desk staff seemed disinterested and had zero enthusiasm. The shop workers and restaurant staff were great! They also had the BEST DVC worker there that I had ever encountered!!!

Now that the bad is over with... the lobby and grounds are NOT to be dismissed. Please, plan time to walk the property and enjoy every tranquil moment that this beautiful resort provides. There is a beautiful path that leads you to the Luau area that is great for photos. Plus at 6 PM everyday, there is a tiki torch lighting ceremony that is fun and a nice little extra for resort guests.

The food was all great. From Kona Café, Captain Cooks and O'Hana. The drinks were equally enjoyable. We were so glad we planned a down day to soak it all in. Beautiful pools!!! I do wish that there was a bit more lighting on the paths at night. I'd hate to step on any geckos. lol.

So, if your planning to go to the POLY, do a thorough inspection upon entering your room, and then ENJOY every minute!!!

What did management say when you contacted them? Did they move you another room or just do a deep clean of the bathroom?

We don't really pay much attention to the DVC sales workers who are there to get you to buy direct.

:earsboy: Bill

This makes me so sad!!! Poly is my dream resort! We had issues at the GF, guess it can happen anywhere.

We are at the Poly this Friday and cannot wait! We too have visited for O'hana and Trader Sam's as well as the Pineapple Lanai. We really look forward to staying there to get more of the experience...except stepping on geckos; we will try to avoid that as well. :)

Have stay at the Poly before but not with my DVC. Agree with you on having time to walk the grounds it fantastic, love the Poly atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter