• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Receipt Hog App

What is the purpose for doing this? I mean what do "they" get from having pics of receipts sent to them? What personal info is printed on the receipts that indicate whether or not it is YOUR receipt?

I love it so far. I'm assuming I can collect receipts from family and friends that don't have access to an iphone to use the app. With just 4 receipts last night my hog is almost 1/2 full and of course still a good ways from my 1st 5.00 cash out but I'm asking my family and friends to bring me their receipts so hoping it will add up quick. I think I might like this better than Quick Rewards, Swagbucks and Ibotta.

I've been using it for about a month now and really like it. Just about ready to cash out for the first time. You may want to check the help section because I believe you can only submit so many receipts per week. Also, after you hit a certain amount in a week, you receive less coins per receipt. Still, since you can only submit stores that sell food (I.e. grocery, convenience, drug stores) I only reached the threshold once. HTH.

What is the purpose for doing this? I mean what do "they" get from having pics of receipts sent to them? What personal info is printed on the receipts that indicate whether or not it is YOUR receipt?

I am kinda wondering this too. What are they getting out of it?

I am kinda wondering this too. What are they getting out of it?

Marketing data. Depending on how long the receipt is I'm guessing they are somehow looking at them for buying trends, merchandise trends, store brand vs name brand, coupon utilization, loyalty program participation (not necessarily your number- but the fact you are a member.

Data mining is big business nowadays.

So this is only for groceries?

ETA:
How often do you have to 'cash out'? Is it only for Amazon GC's? That is the only thing I can see on the app.

So this is only for groceries?

ETA:
How often do you have to 'cash out'? Is it only for Amazon GC's? That is the only thing I can see on the app.

Grocery stores, sams, convenience stores(no gas only purchase), dollar stores.
Cash out to paypal or Amazon.

I've been using it for about a month now and really like it. Just about ready to cash out for the first time. You may want to check the help section because I believe you can only submit so many receipts per week. Also, after you hit a certain amount in a week, you receive less coins per receipt. Still, since you can only submit stores that sell food (I.e. grocery, convenience, drug stores) I only reached the threshold once. HTH.

I did see after your hog is full you still get coins but only 5 coins instead of what I could get if it wasn't full.

I don't know what the purpose is. I don't know how they could even indicate it's not your own receipt other than if the transaction was paid via debit/credit:confused3 I use my debit sometimes, check sometimes or cash.
The 2 receipts I found on the ground outside Walmart were both cash transactions. When I pay via check the transaction shows check tendered at the bottom. When I pay via cash the transaction shows cash tendered and amount due back.
So I'm assuming the only way they can figure it wasn't your transaction is if the debit/credit transactions show different.

Marketing data. Depending on how long the receipt is I'm guessing they are somehow looking at them for buying trends, merchandise trends, store brand vs name brand, coupon utilization, loyalty program participation (not necessarily your number- but the fact you are a member.

Data mining is big business nowadays.

This is true, and in theory the data has some value... maybe.

I have a feeling that this app, and many others like it, are destined to the same fate that many of the poster children of the dot-com bubble suffered some 15 years ago now. (Anyone remember companies like "All Advantage" that paid you to surf the net?)

I signed up today. I've earned 135 coins and uploaded 3 reciepts but waiting on one .

Questions

1. Anyone know how old the receicpts can be?

2. Is the payout only for cash and amazon giftcards or are there other giftcards? I'm fine with cash ;)

3. Does wal mart count?? My receipt for there still is processing. Its been 5 hours
-never mind I got my coins from Walmart :)

I cant wait to see how long it will take to cash out

Has anyone had any issues with Walmart receipts? My Kroger receipts always issue coins within a few hours but I put in a Walmart receipt 2 days ago and it is still processing.

Has anyone had any issues with Walmart receipts? My Kroger receipts always issue coins within a few hours but I put in a Walmart receipt 2 days ago and it is still processing.

Was your Walmart receipt long? The only Walmart receipts I've had not to apply were the long receipts where you have to take 2 photos to get the whole receipt and it never does anything.

Just loaded this yesterday! But do I have to take a pic of the whole , long, receipt? Like 5-6 pics? Or just the top and bottom??

Was your Walmart receipt long? The only Walmart receipts I've had not to apply were the long receipts where you have to take 2 photos to get the whole receipt and it never does anything.

I just started and have loaded two Walmart receipts, both took 2 photos & both were accepted within 6hrs.

I had a very long Publix receipt this week - it took me at least 4 pictures to get it all. It took me several tries to upload it. I would take the pics and it would ask me to accept it and then it would boot me out of the app. I tried it multiple times, finally I went right back into it as soon as it booted me out and it said it was processing a new receipt. It took several hours, maybe a day, to process, but it did eventually credit my piggy bank.

I finally got credited for my Walmart receipt today It took 3 days to process and I am not sure why. It was a short receipt that only took 1 picture to get and the total on it was $8.18 so I am not sure what the problem was.

Thanks OP for introducing me to this app!

I have 205 coins since starting a few days ago (I had lots of receipts on hand).

The value of a receipt is as follows:
<$10 = 5 coins
$10-$50 = 10 coins
$50-$100 = 15 coins
$100+ = 20 coins

So for spending $100+ it seems to me that you'd earn more coins if you broke that down to 11 <$10 transactions: you'd earn 55 coins instead of 20. Not that I'd make extra trips to do that, but if I were going to just buy a few items I might buy each item separately at one of those self-checkout stations. That would only be worth 17.5 cents if you redeem 1000 coins for $5. Not sure that it's worth it but just throwing that out there...

Thanks OP for introducing me to this app!

I have 205 coins since starting a few days ago (I had lots of receipts on hand).

The value of a receipt is as follows:
<$10 = 5 coins
$10-$50 = 10 coins
$50-$100 = 15 coins
$100+ = 20 coins

So for spending $100+ it seems to me that you'd earn more coins if you broke that down to 11 <$10 transactions: you'd earn 55 coins instead of 20. Not that I'd make extra trips to do that, but if I were going to just buy a few items I might buy each item separately at one of those self-checkout stations. That would only be worth 17.5 cents if you redeem 1000 coins for $5. Not sure that it's worth it but just throwing that out there...

Thank you for posting the breakdown. I was thinking it wouldn't be worth it for the way I shop, but I was thinking bigger receipts would be worth more than small ones. Since I do most of my meat and veg shopping at farms/farmers' markets, my receipts are from running out for milk or rice or spices, lots of small, low-dollar shops but very few big trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter