• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reason for DAS

Firepath

DIS Veteran
My DH and I are going to WDW in November 2020. We’ve been many times before I was disabled. I got a neurological condition during this pandemic and now have trouble walking. In addition, I’ll need to use the restroom every 15 minutes or so. Would that be considered a valid reason to request a DAS pass? I think it would be. I don’t really know what shape I’ll be in by next November, but anticipating needing it.

You will need to go to guest relations and explain your needs for the DAS they do not care about your DX remember that mobility problems do not need a DAS so I can not walk stand for too long are things you do not what to tell the CM when asking for a DAS

Last edited:
The worst they can do is say no because your needs can be met by a mobility device. It won't hurt anything to ask. I had never thought about getting one before this past trip because I use a scooter until a CM suggested I ask for one after watching me fumble with my remote control while in a line. I still felt kind of guilty but I guess little kids don't need to see me reaching inside my shirt to get the d*mn thing to cooperate and give me a bolus or to pull the TENS unit out of my bra to reset it.

Trouble walking - use a mobility device because there will so much walking outside of anything the DAS will do for you. DAS is not for mobility issues. The bathroom issue would benefit from DAS, so that would be what I would focus on. I hope you get some relief from your issues! As someone who also has a neurological issue that causes me to feel like I need to use a bathroom (pelvic floor dysfunction and pudendal neuralgia) I'm planning on bringing my donut cushion with me for the more tame attractions and padding my bottom beforehand for rougher ones. If I have a big flare up at WDW, I'll be getting an offsite scooter to help me make it through the day. I don't want to spend my next trip like I did on my last one, in the ER!

I have restroom issues also and need to go frequently. I can not go on anything that has a wait over 20 minutes because I would not make it. I have been able to get a DAS for that. I don't go on many rides anymore and go during slower times, but I have used it on occasion. You just need to let them know why waiting in the normal line is not something that you will be able to do.

In addition, I’ll need to use the restroom every 15 minutes or so. Would that be considered a valid reason to request a DAS pass?

I haven't gotten a DAS for myself but I sometimes travel with others who use it. From my experience (I have IBS) if I needed to use the restroom that often the DAS wouldn't allow enough time to travel from the restroom, through the FP line, ride the attraction, and then make it back to a restroom for many things. It also sounds like you would benefit from using a mobility device which can sometimes mean a little more waiting - but not always. For shows, most are longer than 15 minutes (like FOTLK) and the wait time plus the show is probably an hour or so. There's probably a list of attraction/show ride times that could help figuring that out.

Just mentioning this as there have been some good discussions here of handling these issues at the park in terms of clothing and items to carry if you need to change, etc. Another benefit of the ECV/wheelchair or rollator could allow you to carry more supplies with you if there were any issues. I hope you get to make it down in November and enjoy your vacation!

You should be able to get a DAS for your neurological issue. My DH has a disability and he shows his handicap ID card to the CM at guest services. As a note: the first time you get a DAS is the hardest and takes more time with CM. After that, you need to get a new DAS for each trip. But, since your last DAS was in the "system" it's much easier/quicker to get on subsequent trips. Hope this helps and good luck!

You should be able to get a DAS for your neurological issue. My DH has a disability and he shows his handicap ID card to the CM at guest services. As a note: the first time you get a DAS is the hardest and takes more time with CM. After that, you need to get a new DAS for each trip. But, since your last DAS was in the "system" it's much easier/quicker to get on subsequent trips. Hope this helps and good luck!

Having a "handicap ID card" does not mean one qualifies for a DAS. Surprised a CM even looked at it. Never heard of one of these in the US, is it from another country?

In Virginia, when you get a handicap license plate, they also give you a handicap ID card. I'm not sure if other states do this or not.

In Virginia, when you get a handicap license plate, they also give you a handicap ID card. I'm not sure if other states do this or not.

That is interesting. I know that they don't do that in my State. What is the purpose of the card? There are no benefits of a handicapped plate other then parking so where would a person use this card?

That is interesting. I know that they don't do that in my State. What is the purpose of the card? There are no benefits of a handicapped plate other then parking so where would a person use this card?

I have a friend who has the id card as well as the handicap plates. She uses the card when she is riding with someone in their vehicle or when she is traveling and using a rental car. Not sure how she actually displays it though.

Some states issue ID cards along with a plate or placard but not all. However, that ID card has no particular value other than to identify him as the owner of the HA plate on his vehicle (i.e. that it was issued to him as opposed to you or another household member). It doesn't "prove disability" or qualification for any other accommodation unrelated to parking the vehicle.

I am surprised WDW even looked at it, as it does not indicate his needs related to queues at the theme park. Guest Relations CM should have questioned his specific need to avoid the queues. Not everyone with an HA plate or placard has a need that qualifies for DAS.

I have a friend who has the id card as well as the handicap plates. She uses the card when she is riding with someone in their vehicle or when she is traveling and using a rental car. Not sure how she actually displays it though.

Do you meaning a hangtag? Or a small license-sized card?

My DH has also used it at the airport to be allowed entry to the Handicap TSA screening line. He's also used it to pre-board the airplane during the Handicapped and Families with Young Children queue.

No need for a card to be "allowed" that access. Under ADA, you don't have to have paperwork to prove anything for ADA accessible situations. He should actually report the people who required him to have that card for access, if that was the situation.

Do you meaning a hangtag? Or a small license-sized card?

It is a small license sized card. That's why I said I didn't know how she displayed it - its not a hang tag. When she rode with me, I just dropped her off at the door to the mall and then picked her up at the door. We didn't use it that day. If I remember when I talk to her, I'll ask how it's displayed when she's not in her own car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter