Really think I can do both parks in one day - TP info included in post

Nicmitt

Earning My Ears
Husband & I are headed to Southern CA in October for my 40th & I'm trying to make the most of my time there. I had originally planned for 2 days but when I entered everything into Touring Plans, it really seemed like I could get it all done in one day. The crowd Calendar has the parks at a 2/3 during our visit.

Before food & breaks, our DL TP is 5 hours & CA TP is 2.5 hours.

I'm not a big roller coaster person and we've done DW many times & know how to hustle! This board has been invaluable in helping with all my DW plans over the years so it only seems right that you all help with this decision!

Thanks so much!!

Which date in October? That can make a big difference. October can be a busy month. Are you planning to enjoy any of the Halloween Time decorations or M&Gs? Would you like to attend MHP? There are some really fun offerings that only come around in late September-October, so it would be a shame to miss them if you are interested.

I've done almost every ride in both parks in one day. While it worked for me, it wasn't exactly the most enjoyable. Some of my best times are just relaxing after eating and people watching. If you are traveling from a distance, I would absolutely recommend just divide it into two more chill days. That way you can also see the nighttime entertainment in both parks.

And as previous PP mentioned, October can be very crowded with all the Halloween decorations. I wouldn't trust the 2/3 TP levels and would expect they may be adjusted closer to the date.

Our exact date is Oct 4 - not interested in any of the Halloween activities. I'm sure it sounds terrible but we aren't into meeting characters or watching parades.
I love DW and have never been to DL - my intention is not to rush through but to make the most of my time.

Thanks for all the input so far!

We have done both Disneyland and CA in one day, but you are rushed and you do miss a lot. We did that a few months back. After our day, we could not wait to come back for a more leisure trip where we could see all of it. You really are quite rushed and miss a lot of the magic. However, sometimes you only have one day. That is what happened to us...one day or not at all. We chose the one day! :) Here is a video from that day. Maybe that will help you make your decision.

We've been APs for years. Theres been days we've gone and rode tons of rides in both parks. And days we've just strolled through places, watched the live shows, and ate, not goong on any rides. And some inbetween. So you can definitely make the most of one day. But if I were you I would go without any expectations. As the last couple years you never know the crowd levels and than can severely damper any plans. Just go and make the most of your day, use the app and hop on any rides with short waits.

It's possible as long as you have realistic expectations and are flexible. You can't do everything, but you will be able to hit the highlights and get a lot done.

I would pick a handful of "must do" attractions, get there at rope drop and plan on staying all day and utilize the new Maxpass system to maximize your use of Fastpass.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do.

I had fully planned on spending a full day in each park. Last night, when we entered everything we wanted to do/see in to our touring plan, we were surprised at how quickly it stated we would be able to get everything done.

I think it's just going to come down to which regret what I rather have, spending too much time in the Parks or not enough. My 'extra' day would be spent in Malibu.

Echoing PPs, if you've used Touring Plans for WDW, just be aware that they are nowhere near as accurate at DL. The crowd calendars aren't, and the wait time plans based on them sure aren't. I've shared the story before, where TP told me that, if I got a FP for Space Mountain at, I think, 11:30, the return time would be 2:10. It turned out to be 6:00. Which threw off the rest of the plan considerably. That day they had originally pegged a 5, but the reality was that it was an 8. BIG difference.

When people talk about "doing everything" or "doing every ride", their definition of "every" never seems to mean every. When you challenge those folks, their "everything" or "every ride" means a limited number of rides or activities that are important to them. Which is fine. But that is not every. It is a highly limited subset.

DLR has 58 rides - see https://www.disboards.com/threads/ride-count-comparison-between-dlr-and-wdw.3221332/

The maximum hours DLR is open is from 8AM - Midnight which is 16 hours.

If you spent 16 hours doing nothing but rides - no food, no bathrooms breaks, no time collecting FPs - literally nothing but rides, and if every ride took zero time to actually ride the ride, and zero time to board the ride, that leaves you 16.5 minutes to walk to each ride (and park hop when needed) and wait in each line for that ride just to board it. Even when you have FPs, it usually takes at least 15 minutes to get on a FP supported ride. Think, Indy, Space Mtn, Splash, GOTG, RSR and Soarin. At least 15 minutes with a FP and often longer.

If you were solo and could use single rider lines, that would improve your odds. And if you had MaxPass that would also improve your odds since there is no time spent going to a ride to collect FPs. But I would guess you would be challenged to ride every ride in two full days. I think it could be done in two very exhausting days. But one day? No way. Two days? Yes, if you were willing to not really enjoy anything and be exhausted.

OP - the TP DLR crowd calendar is meaningless. So do not count on a low crowd day. See Why I Am Skeptical of the Touring Plans Website DLR Crowd Calendar

With all that said, DLR can be a lot of fun in a single day if you do it right. But do not count on TP.

:wizard:

Are you able to be flexible with your plans up to the last minute? If so, you can buy a one-day Parkhopper and see how your day at DLR is going. If you decide you're getting everything you wanted to accomplish checked off your list, you can head to Malibu the next day. If you decide you are really enjoying DLR or there's still a lot you want to see or do, you can always add a second day to your tickets at the ticket booths or guest services as long as you do it before you leave.

I am definitely not a do/see everything person & I tried to clarify that I only entered everything *I* wanted to see/do, I apologize if that wasn't clear. For example, my DL list is only 17 things & DCA is much smaller.

I am concerned about how off TP is for DL though....

Maybe we won't decide until the last minute as 3Tinks suggested. I don't care to vacation that way but it may be my best option. Thanks

I am definitely not a do/see everything person & I tried to clarify that I only entered everything *I* wanted to see/do, I apologize if that wasn't clear. For example, my DL list is only 17 things & DCA is much smaller.

Maybe we won't decide until the last minute as 3Tinks suggested. I don't care to vacation that way but it may be my best option. Thanks

I've done this a couple times--and with small children to boot. It's definitely a long day. I think DL and DCA's FP machines are linked now (someone could verify?) and if so that complicates things a bit, especially since GOTG is currently running out of FPs earlier than TOT generally did so you may need RSR and GOTG FPs early on. You would probably need to get MaxPass in order to accomplish everything now. So by the time you pay for a hopper and MaxPass, it probably costs about the same as a 2-day non-hopper. If you have your list of things you want to do I'm sure we could help give some advice on order.

What are your "must do" (i.e. ones you will be highly disappointed to miss) attractions at each park? There are a handful (RSR, Space Mt., Indy, GotG) that can really chew up your time, either by waiting in standby or because they lock up FP for the full two hour max. If you're open to single rider that can help

As mentioned a few times above TP can be inaccurate, but on an early Oct. Wednesday with no Halloween party scheduled, crowd levels should be pretty good. Of course predicting crowd levels has become especially complicated lately, so I could be way off.

Our exact date is Oct 4 - not interested in any of the Halloween activities. I'm sure it sounds terrible but we aren't into meeting characters or watching parades.
I love DW and have never been to DL - my intention is not to rush through but to make the most of my time.

Thanks for all the input so far!
Since you already know exactly what you want to do and not do, I think you'll be able to see just about everything that is important to you in the one day. I don't expect October 4 to be over the top crowded, but it will be after around 5:00pm when annual pass holders are coming in after work. Get an early start and you should be able to get things done. As you know, if by the end of the day you decide you didn't get enough of it, you can add the next day at that point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter