READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked into HS at 730 on a whim and got a back up 139. Have AK FP for tonight. Fingers crossed I make my FoP and can turn make RotR!

I’ve now had three separate groups of people tell me that your boarding group. Umber is based on when you enter the park in the morning even thought the groups don’t open til when the parks open. So if you enter five minutes before park opening you will get a later boarding group than someone who enters an hour before park opening, even though you both are trying for a boarding group in the park at the same time. That’s not how I’ve read this thread.
Am I missing something?
Definitely not true. 2 weeks ago I tapped in about 10 minutes before opening, and got BG 14 (first BG called was #9).

Definitely not true. 2 weeks ago I tapped in about 10 minutes before opening, and got BG 14 (first BG called was #9).

Agreed, we were there Wed, Thurs & Fri this past week, tapped in at various times between 6:40 and 6:55...and got Boarding Groups 4, 12 & 5. I personally believe it is all in how fast you can click through booking the boarding group. We did not use the opening the app strategy at 6:59:xx, but went the refresh route inside the app.

Just wanted to share our experience from 1/31 and 2/1. First of all, the morning of 1/31 started out very stressfully b/c I forgot our Disney credit card at the condo!! We had mobile tickets, so had to go to guest services and verify the tickets w/my ID. Thankfully we still made it into the park in plenty of time. 3 of us were trying to get into a boarding group, my 13 y/o son who hadn't even practiced ahead of time was the only one to ever have the "join boarding group" button show up and he got BG 54. He was on the park wifi and we weren't for what it's worth. So we were pretty pleased. And then the ride broke down, at least twice, and they sat on BG 35 for hours. Finally at 5:45 we got to our boarding group. I believe they only made it to BG 70 that day, the backup groups started at 71.
We were originally planning on trying again the next day (yesterday), but we had a flight at 7:30 pm and knew we couldn't stay all day and figured with our experience it wasn't at all guaranteed we'd make it. Plus we were exhausted from being up so early, so decided not to try again, but just get to the park whenever. And of course, yesterday everything went smoothly with the ride. I think they were at BG 54 before noon.
The ride was great, but honestly for me not worth getting up at 4:45 more than once. My husband probably would say it was worth it.

OP's post reflected 4 minutes and 4 seconds early. I'm guessing it was a typo and they meant 6:59:56 which would be 4 seconds early. That would track with what others have reported as a good time to launch the app.

Alternatively, maybe OP meant they launched the app and refreshed for 4 minutes until BGs opened.
Correct, sorry about that!

I'm curious, has anyone tried to simply logout and back into the app at exactly 7 instead of doing a launch of the app a few seconds before 7? I know that when the app is out of sync with the website fastpass changes, that clears them up immediately, so it may sync the Join Group info also.

So we got screwed by Disney Transportation. Skyliner wasn’t running till 8, of course, so for us the only real choice was the bus (staying at Riviera). We got to the bus stop about 6:10-6:15. There were others already waiting. Bus came at 6:53. Didn’t get to the park until afterthrough tapstiles about 7:20, got backup group 117.
Really frustrating. Went back to the desk at one point, they were no help.
That stinks. We had a similar experience on one of our Magic Kingdom days. We were the third family in line to board. More and more people came, people started pushing, and 45 minutes later still no bus and easily enough people to fill 2. We gave up, called a Lyft that never showed, and finally went back to the front desk who apologized and gave us a voucher for a taxi. Left the hotel over an hour after we got to the bus stop, still had only seen 1 bus to MK, and completely missed rope drop. Sigh...

So, is it safe to say that If you are at HS before it opens, you will most likely get BG that day? I wonder if this ride will move to FP+?
Yes. Be scanned into the park before it opens & you should be fine (barring any weird issues with the app). I didn’t “practice” hitting the buttons because I didn’t see the point. I just pulled up the app when they did the announcement, killed it when the button wasn’t lit up yet, and then it showed up. So far there haven’t been reports of people being there on time & not getting a BG. I wondered this a few days ago because of how anxious people seem, but to me the biggest issue seems to be getting to the park on time from a Disney resort.

My advice on those using Disney transport would be to make sure you are at the stop (be it boat or bus or tiny mole) by 5:45. I noticed on our one day walking from YC that if you caught the boat around 6am you were good but if you missed one of those first 2 boats you needed to walk because otherwise you weren't going to safely make it before park open. It also seems like there have been some reports that a 6am bus comes and then it takes a long time for another bus to come. YMMV on this, but that would be my advice.

I'm sorry @Anthony Vito about your bad luck with the buses today. Hopefully they get through a ton of BGs and it works out for you!
Can confirm. I showed up at the AoA bus stop at 5:45 both mornings I tried for a BG, and both times I was at DHS well before 7:00. I was even able to rope drop Smuggler's on my first attempt morning; on the second I ended up too far back and it was going to be too long of a wait for my taste.

Yes. Be scanned into the park before it opens & you should be fine (barring any weird issues with the app). I didn’t “practice” hitting the buttons because I didn’t see the point. I just pulled up the app when they did the announcement, killed it when the button wasn’t lit up yet, and then it showed up. So far there haven’t been reports of people being there on time & not getting a BG. I wondered this a few days ago because of how anxious people seem, but to me the biggest issue seems to be getting to the park on time from a Disney resort.
Thank you very much. I have no idea how to use MDE to get a boarding group, but I'll check that out next!

Today was our third ride, we’ve been lucky and managed to get on each day we’ve tried. I thought we’d had the full ride the previous two times so we’re surprised to find that we hadn’t until today when it was even better!

FWIW - our experience of travelling from Pop Century was that getting to the bus stop for 5.50 worked out really well for us each time (with a 7am opening). This morning despite a long (and very slow) bag check line we got our boarding group just at 7am (BG 36), and had rope dropped Slinky Dog by 7.18!
(When we were called we had a 2 hour return time)

Thanls everyone for sharing their experiences on here :-)

Last edited:
No worries! I just wanted to double check because this process seems to change on the daily. Glad you had success and hope you enjoyed the ride. We’ll be there in a few weeks. Can’t wait!
I can’t emphasize enough - if I can get a bg, anyone can! Being here and doing the basic research is 95% of the game. Have a blast.

Last edited:
Hi, all - just wanted to give a full update on our experience this morning. This was just DH and I, and it was a quick trip. We’re staying CL, and I booked the additional fp’s to optimize our short visit time - I’d booked at DHS today (traditional DHS EMH day) before we knew about the virtual line (we had originally figured we’d be best off rope-dropping on an EMH morning), so I’ve been worried about crowds. I’d probably not have booked a weekend day if we’d known about the virtual queue and move of EMH to evening! That said, the help we had here was invaluable. I practiced a few times to be sure I was familiar with the app and joining a bg. I timed starting up my app so I’d have an idea of how much time it would take. I loaded the ntb atomic clock app to watch seconds. I turned off wifi and checked my connectivity (Verizon, iPhone 11 pro). I made sure to load mde on my husband’s phone (iPhone 6s plus on Sprint), log into my account, and show him where/how to access bg’s. We got to the park early, primarily because we both woke up at 4:45 (yeah, that middle-age insomnia, it’s a killer!). Decided to rope drop mfsr. We were in the park and near the front(ish) part of the pack at 6:30 or so. At 6:59:56, we both launched mde, “join boarding group button” immediately turned red, and bingo. bg5. My husband had a red button as well, I just got us in first. The 20-somethings next to us (with bg4) were delighted, high 5’s all around. And it did seem to go in seconds - the woman in front of us got in the 50’s, and we heard someone else talking about 90-something. Our bg was called at 7:22, while we were on mfsr, and we went right over. I see regular bg’s went to 92. Looked like it was down for a bit, and I hope it comes back online.

Rise was not at all what I was expecting, but it was really amazing. I don’t know that I’d opt to go through rope drop again, but I’d definitely come to do a bg again. The innovation alone makes it a worthwhile pursuit. Even DH, who was pretty much humoring me to be here, said it was totally worth it.

Thanks again to all of you who posted your experiences and tips! They made a huge difference!

Last edited:
I booked the Villains after hours party the night before our scheduled DHS day. That won't work because no way we will want to get up at 5 or 6 (we will be at Boardwalk Inn so we will be walking over).
we have hoppers, so I thought, why not go on our Epcot day? Go to DHS, get a boarding group, and then head over to Epcot until called, then hop on the boats and go over.
Would this work?

Can confirm. I showed up at the AoA bus stop at 5:45 both mornings I tried for a BG, and both times I was at DHS well before 7:00. I was even able to rope drop Smuggler's on my first attempt morning; on the second I ended up too far back and it was going to be too long of a wait for my taste.
I can also add that three days I tried for a BG, I was at the bus by 545 each day. I was in the park by 640 all three days. Bus malfunctions happen, but that was my experience at ASSports. One time there were two buses in a row because there were three scooters. I didn't get on the first one and was happy the second came so soon.

Yes. You could also take the Skyliner or even walk between the two parks. But yes, you don't have to stay at DHS until your boarding group is called unless you get a low number group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter