SSR
WL - both of them
AKL-K
VB
HHI

will not stay at again:
Poly

Have not been to:
VGF - Had booked last year but Hurricane Ian got in the way.
West coast resorts

Why won't you stay at Poly again?

Only stayed at 3 so far:

BLT - Did a studio with 2 adults and 3 kids (7,2,1 at the time) and loved it. Had a great lake view and literally cant beat the ease of getting to MK from there, which we did 2 days at MK
SSR - Just went earlier this month, great room location, grounds were fantastic, very quiet, paddock pool and play are was great. Only real negative was artist palette is pretty bad but its close to DS with many better options (Chicken Guy!). Buses were totally fine, might have just been slow when we went at SSR, but never had any issues with full buses or taking a long time etc. Boat to springs was very nice too.
BCV - liked the location to epcot, room was fine, but gotta say i think SAB is overrated honestly. End of the day its still a pool and the fake sand was kinda weird really. Having cape may is a big plus though, loved our meal there.

Yea I just put SSR above BCV...

These posts about BLT are having me re-think my low ranking. How's the vibe there? Is it loud or anything like that?

Going to just do WDW, although Grand Cal and Aulani would probably be in my top 5 otherwise

1. Riviera - biased because I own here but LOVE the rooms and the skyliner, Topolino's, views of Epcot/HS, it's ALL good
2. Animal Kingdom Lodge - great food, theming, freakin' savannah, only downside is transportation
3. Polynesian - monorail loop, walking distance to TTC, great theming, just wish it's lobby was like how it originally was and desperately needs other room types besides studios and bungalows - the tower can't come soon enough
4. Boardwalk - walking distance to Epcot, love the nightlife on the Boardwalk
5. Beach Club - same as above, but I prioritize the aesthetic of the Boardwalk over Stormalong Bay
6. Copper Creek - love the theming of the lobby although I wish the rooms were larger
7. Grand Floridian - again love the theming of the lobby, and aesthetic of the resort not as much of a fan of the rooms, decor of the rooms kind of feels like grandma's place
8. Boulder Ridge- I just prefer being closer to the lobby and the dining which is why CCV is higher for me personally
9. Bay Lake Tower - proximity to MK, wish it had more of DL hotel's theming, really is a missed opportunity for such a prime resort sadly
10. Saratoga - I love SSR because of how close it is to Disney Springs but too many stops on the loop, bus only transportation and too spread out
11. Old Key West - same as SSR but not as close to Disney Springs although I do like how large the rooms are

I can't say there's a DVC resort I truly dislike, it was actually hard for me to put SSR near the bottom because that's honestly where I first started falling in love with Disney World. Still have to stay at a bunch of these so we'll see how it all ends up panning out.

What do you like about the night life at BW? I've never been. What's it like over there in the evenings?

Can I ask what HHI is like in the winter? Not just the resort, but the area. What kinds of things do you do while there? I've never been out there and I'm curious about it.

Paper thin walls?! That's a deal breaker for me. I wonder which DVC resorts/rooms are the most quiet? I was happy with how quiet our regular room at the Grand Californian was and I assume the DVC rooms will also be quiet. Wondering which WDW ones are good for light sleepers.
I believe, and I may be wrong, that Touring Plans, did a study about noise levels and includes it in their information. (If it wasn’t them someone did and I have just forgotten who.)

Can I ask what HHI is like in the winter? Not just the resort, but the area. What kinds of things do you do while there? I've never been out there and I'm curious about it.
In Jan / Feb the weather can be iffy - you could have cool days in the 50's but others in the 70's. Being from PA, we love that weather, especially if it's snowing at home :goodvibes. It can actually be nice weather for walking on the beach, but not so much for swimming in the ocean. The pool at the resort is heated and you will see people using it on warmer days. The resort itself is not on the beach, though there is a day use beach house close by. They have a shuttle that goes back and forth and there is also a bike path, and a parking area if you want to drive your own car. The resort sits in between the Broad Creek marsh and Shelter Cove marina. It's just a lovely, peaceful setting, I can sit for hours just relaxing, reading and watching the birds. The first time we went there I thought I'd miss being on the ocean, but I didn't at all. It's just a lovely setting. Request a marsh view room!

As for the island itself, Jan / Feb is really nice because the crowds have disappeared. We rarely make reservations for dinner and can just walk in and grab a table - something that's very hard to do in the summer. The only negative is that a few places will be closed for the season, but HHI has so many dining options that it really isn't a big deal. Traffic is so much better than during the busy seasons, as well.

Savannah, GA is only about an hour away and is fun city to explore as well - again without crowds that time of year.

Probably my favorite time there, though, is the Fall. It's still warm, but not quite as crowded and hot as Summer. We also went there for Thanksgiving last year, which I see becoming a near annual tradition in our future.

Decided to tally up everyone's votes for an average opinion ranking.

Here's a cropped screenshot to show how it was all entered:
Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 8.33.54 PM.png
(any wider and it gets hard to read due to the forum resizing, rest assured if your vote was before this post it was counted in this fashion)

Here's a hopefully cleaner screenshot of just the results:
Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 8.35.15 PM.png

ClaraOswald:
Why won't you stay at Poly again?

I have been going to WDW since '72. I always wanted to stay at Poly but never have due to price and other things that occurred over the years.
I finally was able to get a three night stay there the year before the pandemic; the place looked old and run down. Broken tiles every where we went, the new DVC rooms were not to a standard of other DVC resorts, and the main pool is so small that I can not believe people actually think it is the 2nd best on property.
It turns out the South Pacific style of the resort is not to my taste, after all.

1. Boardwalk
2. Copper Creek
3. Animal Kingdom Lodge
4. Boulder Ridge
5. Polynesian
6. Beach Club
8. Grand Floridian
9. Riviera
10. Bay Lake Tower
11. Old Key West
12. Saratoga Springs
13, Hilton Head
14. Vero Beach

What fun! I'll rank only the ones I have stayed at:

1. AKV (Jambo or Kidani - love them both). Love the food, atmosphere, cast members
2. BCV. The location is great and that pool is so much fun.
3. SSR. Since Disey Springs is no longer downtown Disney the location for great food can't be beat. Plus I just love the colourful bldgs and the grounds are beautiful to stroll around in the evening
4. OKW. The room size can't be beat and that boat ride to Disney Springs - love it!

5. Poly - No flames please, but if I could put it at the bottom of all resorts, I would, but that wouldn't be fair since I haven't stayed at the others. Indifferent cast members - my DH wonderered if we had dog poop on our shoes everytime we interacted with them. The stink train as my DH called it, broke down more times that we could count. Just an overall terrible experience. I get why people love this resort - the room was great! It is just a place we will never go back to. I never understood why people commented that you should buy where you want to stay if there were nothing else available. This stay cemented that phrase in my head.

There are a few that I've never stayed at, so I'm just going to rank the ones I have.

1. Copper Creek - not entirely fair since I've only stayed in the cabins but they're awesome and totally worth it IMO. I love the vibe of the entire resort. The lobby is beautiful and I like how "low key" the resort feels. It never feels overly crowded or hectic.
2. Hilton Head - I LOVE HHI. Has a cozy, laid back vibe that makes you feel right at home. The pool areas are quite small but I don't really mind as I mainly go for beach access. I like that it's not "in your face Disney" though I do understand for some people that's a negative. The rooms 100% need a refurb as the room I was in last August was the worst DVC room I've ever stayed in.
3. Aulani - excellent theming that combines Hawaiian culture and Disney to where it doesn't lean too heavily into one direction. Only big complaint is that I think the pools use WAY too much chlorine. My eyes would sting after being in the lazy river for one lap around. Most people sit by the pool so it isn't hard to find chairs by the beach.
4. Grand Californian - undoubtedly the king of locations when it comes to DVC. Love the entire feel of the resort. Big con for me is how small the pool is. Probably the only resort where I've had to put my stuff along the wall/side due to a lack of chairs.
5. Beach Club - fantastic location and pool. I stayed here a lot when I was younger so feels very nostalgic to me. LOVE the smell of the lobby too.
6. Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani) - savannah view is AWESOME!! I've stayed in a studio and a 2 bedroom and having the extra bathroom in the 2 bedroom was the best. The actual rooms do look quite worn/dated and those LONG hallways are no joke. Pool area is lovely with decent amounts of shady spots.
7. Saratoga Springs - kind of underrated IMO. I love being able to walk to Disney Springs and has one of the better main pools. The theming is bland (not a fan of horse racing) but that's not a deal breaker. I especially like staying here when doing Universal trips as it's close to the highway.
8. Polynesian - the entire resort feels so loud and crowded to me. The one extra bedroom in the studio was awesome and I actually like what they did with the refurb. Walls are thinner than toilet paper as I was awoken every day by the screaming kids next door. You could hear everything they were saying. Also I miss the fountain in the lobby that existed before the 2014 refurb.

I've never stayed at these two but I have zero interest in BLT and Riviera. I dislike the bland theming for both. I also don't have any interest in Vero Beach.

Last edited:
Oooh fun! I‘d like to rank before looking at the others.

Park resorts are our favorite. We enjoy how easy it is to visit the other cool nearby resorts, quick park access and cool transportation options. At least 75% of future trips likely to be in one of these:
Poly
GFV* This is a priority to try! Spent last Sat afternoon there and loved it. Mary Poppins rooms are my current #1 fav.
BW
BC
BLT

These resorts all have unique pros that attract us:
CC*
RIV*
AK
OKW

Might never try these since we’re more strongly drawn to the rest:
SSR* (Don’t care for Disney Springs. We’d pick AKV and OKW instead)
BR* (CC is enough to pacify our interest at WL)

*resorts we’ve not stayed yet

Cash rooms: Gran Destino ftw! POP too because it’s fun, reasonably priced with skyliner access. Good backups for last minute trips or adding on a few days.

Have not tried off-WDW DVC yet. We’d like to try them but likely just once where we’ll be returning to O11 over and over.

We are somewhat recent BWV owners of a smaller contract. Will add on soon either GFV or Poly to balance it out.

We have visited every WDW resort, but not AUL, VGC, or VB. (not in my count)
1. HHI-home resort and theming
2. AKV-has a freakin' savannah!
3/4. CCV/BRV-theming of the lodge and christmas
5. BLT-close to MK
6. Poly- theming
7. VGF- close to MK
8. SSR- nice new rooms
9. OKW- low points chart
10. RIV- skyliner!
11. BCV- location!
12. BWV- location!

We love our DVC and being able to stay/visit all of the resort! Maybe one day we will get to VGC, AUL, and/or VB.

We've got quite a few more to visit, but we've seen a lot since joining 3 years ago. I am cheating as I can't pick a #1....

1a. Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
1b. Polynesian
2. Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
3. Copper Creek
4. Boardwalk
5. Bay Lake Tower
6. Grand Californian

I enjoyed both of these last two, but not being by theme parks is a dealbreaker (though I may change my tune once we get to Aulani!)
7. Vero Beach
8. Hilton Head

And the locations that would be next on the list:
Aulani
Riviera
Grand Floridian 1&2
Boulder Ridge
Beach Club
Saratoga Springs

As for Old Key West... I'll tell you on Friday!

There are a few that I've never stayed at, so I'm just going to rank the ones I have.

1. Copper Creek - not entirely fair since I've only stayed in the cabins but they're awesome and totally worth it IMO. I love the vibe of the entire resort. The lobby is beautiful and I like how "low key" the resort feels. It never feels overly crowded or hectic.
2. Hilton Head - I LOVE HHI. Has a cozy, laid back vibe that makes you feel right at home. The pool areas are quite small but I don't really mind as I mainly go for beach access. I like that it's not "in your face Disney" though I do understand for some people that's a negative. The rooms 100% need a refurb as the room I was in last August was the worst DVC room I've ever stayed in.
3. Aulani - excellent theming that combines Hawaiian culture and Disney to where it doesn't lean too heavily into one direction. Only big complaint is that I think the pools use WAY too much chlorine. My eyes would sting after being in the lazy river for one lap around. Most people sit by the pool so it isn't hard to find chairs by the beach.
4. Grand Californian - undoubtedly the king of locations when it comes to DVC. Love the entire feel of the resort. Big con for me is how small the pool is. Probably the only resort where I've had to put my stuff along the wall/side due to a lack of chairs.
5. Beach Club - fantastic location and pool. I stayed here a lot when I was younger so feels very nostalgic to me. LOVE the smell of the lobby too.
6. Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani) - savannah view is AWESOME!! I've stayed in a studio and a 2 bedroom and having the extra bathroom in the 2 bedroom was the best. The actual rooms do look quite worn/dated and those LONG hallways are no joke. Pool area is lovely with decent amounts of shady spots.
7. Saratoga Springs - kind of underrated IMO. I love being able to walk to Disney Springs and has one of the better main pools. The theming is bland (not a fan of horse racing) but that's not a deal breaker. I especially like staying here when doing Universal trips as it's close to the highway.
8. Polynesian - the entire resort feels so loud and crowded to me. The one extra bedroom in the studio was awesome and I actually like what they did with the refurb. Walls are thinner than toilet paper as I was awoken every day by the screaming kids next door. You could hear everything they were saying. Also I miss the fountain in the lobby that existed before the 2014 refurb.

I've never stayed at these two but I have zero interest in BLT and Riviera. I dislike the bland theming for both. I also don't have any interest in Vero Beach.

What time of year have you been to VGC? Were the pools really crowded? We've only been in February so obviously pool was empty (and the one with the slide was actually closed.)

What time of year have you been to VGC? Were the pools really crowded? We've only been in February so obviously pool was empty (and the one with the slide was actually closed.)
I've been twice during mid/late May and pools were pretty crowded during the day. At lunch time/early afternoon, it was impossible to get chairs. This was also before Covid so unsure of the situation now.

1. Boulder Ridge: We love the Lodge, BRV lobby, and the fact that it is not packed with people like the Monorail resorts.
2. Beach Club: Location is fantastic, views are terrible, but you do have Stormalong Bay and access to two theme parks.
3. Boardwalk: Same as BCV, but without Stormalong Bay. Love the energy of the boardwalk.
4. Grand Floridian: Beautiful rooms (VGF1), good location. Grounds are a bit big and sterile (white everywhere you look).
5. Polynesian: So Cal native, so it reminds me more of Tiki kitsch and less of the Pacific Islands. Super crowded, but good vibe.
7. Copper Creek: We prefer BRV for the quieter location, and the rooms in CCV are too small (also hate galley kitchens).
8. Riviera: New, fresh, and access to two theme parks. A bit meh on the whole theming. Grounds are terribly boring.
9. Animal Kingdom: Yes, it has a savanna, but even that can get old, and the transportation options are terrible.
10. Bay Lake Tower: Location is awesome, but it reminds me of an airport Marriott or a South Beach condo.
11. Old Key West: We also own here. Rooms are huge, but transportation is bad, and SSR is closer to DS.
12. SSR: Just nothing special beyond DS. (We own here, and it's got it's strong points, but this is a relative comparison).

Grand Californian is not on the list as we live 15 minutes from DLR and visit GC all the time. Unfair to compare it to vacation destination-only resorts.

1. Boulder Ridge: We love the Lodge, BRV lobby, and the fact that it is not packed with people like the Monorail resorts.
2. Beach Club: Location is fantastic, views are terrible, but you do have Stormalong Bay and access to two theme parks.
3. Boardwalk: Same as BCV, but without Stormalong Bay. Love the energy of the boardwalk.
4. Grand Floridian: Beautiful rooms (VGF1), good location. Grounds are a bit big and sterile (white everywhere you look).
5. Polynesian: So Cal native, so it reminds me more of Tiki kitsch and less of the Pacific Islands. Super crowded, but good vibe.
7. Copper Creek: We prefer BRV for the quieter location, and the rooms in CCV are too small (also hate galley kitchens).
8. Riviera: New, fresh, and access to two theme parks. A bit meh on the whole theming. Grounds are terribly boring.
9. Animal Kingdom: Yes, it has a savanna, but even that can get old, and the transportation options are terrible.
10. Bay Lake Tower: Location is awesome, but it reminds me of an airport Marriott or a South Beach condo.
11. Old Key West: We also own here. Rooms are huge, but transportation is bad, and SSR is closer to DS.
12. SSR: Just nothing special beyond DS. (We own here, and it's got it's strong points, but this is a relative comparison).

Grand Californian is not on the list as we live 15 minutes from DLR and visit GC all the time. Unfair to compare it to vacation destination-only resorts.

When you say you love the energy of the boardwalk....is that area crowded? How's the noise?

When you say you love the energy of the boardwalk....is that area crowded? How's the noise?
It can be loud, for sure. I'm a weirdo in that I like the energy of the boardwalk, but don't want to be in a boardwalk view room. I'm fine with garden view. The activities and entertainment out on the boardwalk, as well as the restaurant selection, are awesome.

Polynesian
AKL-Jambo
Beach club
Boulder ridge
Copper creek
Kidani
(Haven’t tried the other because my stubborn husband won’t stray from jambo and Polynesian 😂

Ranking the WDW properties -

1. BLT - (home) location, location, location. We always stay 1br+ so probably influences us a bit, but it was our first home and where we always try to spend longer stays.
2. RIV - (home) ambience, skyliner, food options.
3. VGF - ambience, location, and great water play area. Not quite as convenient/point friendly as BLT
4. BWV - (home) we love BWV for shorter festival trips and split stays. There's always something going on!
5. BCV - location and pool - close to our ranking for BWV but it's busier and harder to book
6. CCV/BRV - love the vibe and geyser point. Our kids love the pool and water play area. Location not as ideal for us but still very solid
7. PVB - we love to visit the beach area, grab a dole whip, and play during the fireworks, but the room situation doesn't work as well for our preferences. The tower will change that!
8. AKL - kidani 1br are great with the extra bathroom! We love to be at MK and Epcot, so not as convenient
9. OKW - love the room size, but not as convenient to parks
10. SSR - great pools, but again not as convenient

My list

1. Grand Floridian
2. Aulani
3. Bay Lake Tower
4. Polynesian
5. Grand Californian
6. Beach Club
7. Boardwalk
8. Riviera
*** SSR Treehouse Villas
9. Copper Creek
10. Boulder Ridge
11. Animal Kingdom Lodge
12. Saratoga Springs Resort
13. Old Key West
14. Vero Beach
15. Hilton Head

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter