Randomly selected for screening at EPCOT

I always used to get picked at the airport for extra screening. Random, they said. But one time, one of the TSA agents let it slip that it was because I was wearing a dress. I always wear dresses, but apparently in parts of the world where women wear large 'all-encompasisng' garments, some of them will hide things under their clothes. So TSA was told to screen women in dresses. Now I have a KTN which allows me ti go through the TSA Pre line, and I still sometimes get pulled over for extra screening. I've never seen anyone else get pulled over from the TSA Pre line.

I haven't been to WDW or DL since they started instituting the screening there, but I'm guessing my dresses will get me pulled over every single time there as well. Sigh.

Just got here, I'm 1 for 1 on the random selection at MK. Navy tshirt, denim shorts. Maybe it was the sunglasses.

DH got picked everyday at every park last week we were there. I only had to do it once cause they were screening everyone at the MK that morning.

For our late April trip, I was pulled out five times in a row. It was weird and funny and slightly annoying.

Wow, when did they start screening? Our last trip 10/14, they were not screening. I'm one who always gets 'extra treatment' at airport security and they always focus on my right shoulder. Of course there's never anything there, lol.

I have been randomly selected 47 out of 47 times since they started using metal detectors at Epcot. It doesn't feel very random at all.

Honestly its random, I have noticed they are trying to screen as many people as possible these days.

At the end of the day if it serves the purpose of making us safer than they can pull me over as often as they need.

We were there in September for 10 days and were in an out of all the parks numerous times each day. I really feel it is random. Sometimes I had extra screening and others not. There didn't seem to be a common denominator. I never minded the extra screening as I felt it kept everyone safer. I only had to go through the metal detector but sometimes people would get extra screening with the wand. Again no common denominator.

Everyone had to go the metal detector at the International Gateway last week. We got picked many times at the Magic Kingdom too, but it was no big deal at all. The longest it took was an additional minute.

Truthfully, I found seeing armed security officers in MK more disturbing than anything else about the heightened security measures. I'm not complaining about it and fully understand why they're there, but they were still a sad reminder of the volatile world we are living in.

I always used to get picked at the airport for extra screening. Random, they said. But one time, one of the TSA agents let it slip that it was because I was wearing a dress. I always wear dresses, but apparently in parts of the world where women wear large 'all-encompasisng' garments, some of them will hide things under their clothes. So TSA was told to screen women in dresses. Now I have a KTN which allows me ti go through the TSA Pre line, and I still sometimes get pulled over for extra screening. I've never seen anyone else get pulled over from the TSA Pre line.

I haven't been to WDW or DL since they started instituting the screening there, but I'm guessing my dresses will get me pulled over every single time there as well. Sigh.
Every single time I wear a maxi dress to the airport I have to go through extra screening. I was told it was because they couldn't see my legs. However, I always wondered if they also pulled women wearing shorter dresses too as you could in theory still hide things under there :rolleyes: lol.

This year will be my first year using TSA pre-check but luckily I won't be wearing a dress in December! Haha:tongue:

I have been randomly selected 47 out of 47 times since they started using metal detectors at Epcot. It doesn't feel very random at all.
Do you not go with the bag? I have noticed that Disney is starting to screen almost everyone that doesn't go in with a bag. I have especially noticed this policy at EPCOT through the main entrance and they screen everyone going through the International Gateway Entrance. I am in favor of Disney screening as many people as possible. It always makes me feel safer when I'm visiting the parks.

My Husband & I would be selected a lot during our September trip. It did seem to be random to me, most of the time. The other times? My Husband would be waiting for me to get through Bag Check and I'd see him talking to a Guard. Turns out, he'd tell them they should pick me because I loved it so much. Hmph.

I think I was picked to go through a metal detector twice there on our recent vacation, even though I was shepherding 2 children while my husband did the bag check. I wonder if they sometimes pick young women and mothers with children who look harmless so they don't look biased when they want to screen someone who might look a little more potentially dangerous. They are probably told they can screen no more than a certain percentage of men, women, and different ethnic groups to avoid complaints of discrimination. It didn't take long so I didn't really mind.

Let me tell you something about those "so-called metal detectors". The only things I ever bring to the parks (both Disney and Universal) are my ticket, cell phone, and car key fob. They all stay in my pocket. If asked if I have anything to remove from my pockets I say no. After walking through the metal detector I say to the person "so much for the metal detector" and pull my phone and key fob from my pocket. They don't say a word.

I seem to get picked about 70% of the time I entered the parks - I assume it was because I was a male solo traveler.

My phone did set off the metal detector - I though it was in my bag but it was not - even a package of starbursts will set it off.
I know because I had starbursts in my shorts and did not recall putting them there - my wife had stuck them in one of the cargo pockets for some reason when she packed my bag.
So YMMV

I seem to get picked about 70% of the time I entered the parks - I assume it was because I was a male solo traveler.

My phone did set off the metal detector - I though it was in my bag but it was not - even a package of starbursts will set it off.
I know because I had starbursts in my shorts and did not recall putting them there - my wife had stuck them in one of the cargo pockets for some reason when she packed my bag.
So YMMV

One of them fancy smart phones?

Just my experience:

Bag-check is a very high rate of extra screening
It is not random, they make a line, clear the line and than pull in another dozen to screen. So by watching you can generally avoid getting pulled.
It is really easy to go throw, especially if you are not the type to have a lot on you
I have never had an issue with really rude security, but I have seen them react badly to rude guests.

I'm sure it is random, but it sure starts to feel like it isn't when you are chosen every single time you try to go into a park. On our last trip earlier this year I was alone with my 16 year old son for his birthday trip and we were both chosen every single time. It must have been those menacing bow ties he wears.

Do you not go with the bag? I have noticed that Disney is starting to screen almost everyone that doesn't go in with a bag. I have especially noticed this policy at EPCOT through the main entrance and they screen everyone going through the International Gateway Entrance. I am in favor of Disney screening as many people as possible. It always makes me feel safer when I'm visiting the parks.
My wife always goes through the bag line at Epcot, and always seems to be chosen. I never go through the bag line and am rarely chosen.

MG

We just got back today and I was never asked to go through additional screening the entire week we were there. However they selected my 15 year old son who is autistic and has a very difficult time following directions. I told the screener that and he looked at me and said "so? He has to do it." I had more compassion from a TSA agent at MCO this morning. :/

As soon as one type gets a "pass", "they" will select and train their people to be like that type to also get a "pass".

There really can't be any exceptions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter