• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Random yet useful items to have for your trip.

In addition to pretty much everything listed already in this thread, I also bring a tennis ball. It's great for helping to stretch and massage the muscles in your tired feet at the end of the day. Just put the ball on the floor and roll your foot over it for a few minutes.

I also buy a $1 baby bottle brush to use for washing out the re-usable mugs (I take pump soap for the bathrooms and also use that for washing the mugs). I leave the soap and brush when we leave.

I also always travel with an eye glass repair kit and a few small screwdrivers (for opening battery compartments).

Some of my can't-live-without things that have already been listed: scissors, tape (duct and scotch), air freshener, packing the kids clothes in a ziploc bag, USB power strips, and night lights.

White noise machine.
Power strip.
Nightlight.
Battery operated alarm clock.
Extra contact lenses.
Ziploc bags in several sizes.
Chargers for all electronic (easy to forget at home!).
Clothes pins.
"Jif to Go" peanut butter tubs (single serve) to pair with sliced apples or celery.

Runner glide/vaseline to stop blisters before they start. Brita water bottle to filter tap water.

Wire clothes hangers since there's never enough for my family of 4. Especially to hang up wet swimsuits. i don't bother to bring them home because we get so many from weekly drycleaning.
FYI, you can call Mousekeeping after you check in to request extra hangers. They'll bring you as many as you need, either the regular kind or the ones with clips to hang things like skirts. I have to fly to WDW so it's not convenient to bring extra hangers with me - would take up too much suitcase space!

Popup hamper with carrying handles. My mom thought I was nuts until she realized that it a) kept our dirty laundry contained, and b) was easy to carry to the laundry.

I always do too! So useful!

A night light, travel size first aid kit, sandwich baggies, a couple of large bags for laundry, children's Tylenol, and ibuprofen for DH and me.

Pop up hamper and a sandwich bag with bandaids/mole skin, Tylenol, tums, single packs of wipes etc. I keep that in my pocketbook....never know when you might need something!

i find these scrub singles to be super useful for washing out water bottles and mugs at the end of the day. They have a scrub side as well.

What random but useful item do you bring?
We use these to clean the tub before giving our DD a bath. The tub never feels clean after a couple boys have showered in there.:rolleyes1 I'm totally looking at that poopourri as my boy's are hard on the bathroom.:rotfl2: We take several pop up hampers as we use them for various things besides laundry. We use one for shoes. When our 4 boys were little they would toss their shoes off and they would get kicked under furniture etc. We were always running late just because we were looking for a missing shoe.:confused3 So a pop up hamper by the hotel room door and in their shoes go when we walk in, this has cut down on the stress in the morning.
And we love the clothing in Ziplocs. :thumbsup2 We use this for Boy Scout camp as well. I spray all their clothes with repellant and bag and label the days. This was after the first year, they were in the hospital for tick disease just for forgetting to use repellant one day.:faint: They may be teenagers but they still sometimes forget till halfway through a day to use their bug spray so I pretreat everything for tick repellant before they leave. Mosquito bites are one thing but Rocky Mountain and Lyme disease are not something to mess with.

I will have to try the clothespins on the curtains as the curtain gap bothers the light sleepers on our sleep in day.:goodvibes

We bought an over the door plastic pocket thing but it didn't fit the bathroom door at our room in CBR. Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand they have used sucessfully? This is a great thread and I will be passing along some of these ideas to my Dsis for her first family trip this fall. She has 2 little ones so the stroller ideas are great.:goodvibes

We bought an over the door plastic pocket thing but it didn't fit the bathroom door at our room in CBR. Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand they have used sucessfully? This is a great thread and I will be passing along some of these ideas to my Dsis for her first family trip this fall. She has 2 little ones so the stroller ideas are great.:goodvibes

I know when I used one at Pop Century I attached to one of the bars in the "closet" by the sink. I either used shower curtain hooks or some yarn to tie to the bar....don't remember anymore. I then put the luggage rack and all of our empty suitcases behind it so that it stayed perpendicular/straight. Not sure if that would work at CBR or not. I've also seen people mention that they've used the 3M removable hooks -- attaching them to the wall or the door and then hanging the shoe holder on those.

Oh, we minimize. Instead of pop up hanger, we just use the free plastic bags as laundry sorters. Most hotel closets have a plastic drawstring bag. After that we just use WDW shopping bags.

Ziplock bags can be handy. A few of the two gallon size and be great.

Free coffee stirrers on the SWA airplane can be used in place of a several items.

Kids' meal applesauce makes good baby food.

My smartphone has a camera, a flashlight and much more. In a pinch- that flashlight can be handy. You can use the camera to store information -like your parking space ID.

Napkins come in handy.

I do carry a tiny tube of hand sanitizer and a tiny micro-sized black Sharpie. They are great if you use gift cards. We rarely use hand sanitizer just to clean our hands, but it sanitizes cuts, and erases Sharpie.

If you are prone to blisters, then mole skin is your friend. Get it at a pharmacy. Cut into strips.

I always bring a pack of conversation game cards. I bought Family feud for this trip. We love playing them on line for rides and it passes the time quickly and no cranky kids!

There's a number of things we've tried over the years, that we have now abandoned. I've tried clothes in ziplocs, but the noise irritated everyone. I use them for toiletries, toothbrushes, wet swim suits. To unpack I just put the whole bag on the counter.

We often move hotel rooms, so the bag of toiletries is now one of the few things we unpack. Otherwise, ti is easiest to pakcc a carry on per person, and just live out of it. I also have a duffle for underwear/socks/toiletries.

Oh, if you have a car, the back dash area of your car can be a great place to dry wet suits. (behind the rear seats) A few hours and they are dry!

We just drape suits over the hanging string in the shower. Or- I clip them to the clip hangers in the closet.

I always bring a pack of conversation game cards. I bought Family feud for this trip. We love playing them on line for rides and it passes the time quickly and no cranky kids!
We now have a trivia game on our phone.

Oh, I have a tiny tube of sunscreen. It looks like chapstick. We generally apply sunscreen in the morning and before swimming, but it is handy as a back up if someone forgets, or we need to replenish in the afternoon.

A very useful kid toy is one of those magnetic drawing boards. Not the electronic kind, the magna doodle, I think it called. You can play so many games on them, or even use them to write reminder lists, practice math, etc.

When we were in a tiny tiny river cruise ship room, this was recommended by a friend and we now bring it whenever we are booked in a studio in Disney. Easier than candles and matches! It's called poo-pourri =)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_35otvtg02z_b

I've seen this advertised but getting a male creature to spray something BEFORE they actually need it seems to be beyond the comprehension of the men in my family. I'm lucky I get them to light a candle, more often than not I'll ask if they did and the answer is "no should I?".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter