Rain in Nov/Dec

Mrs~Incredible

Mouseketeer
What is “typical” for rain in Florida in these months? Is it a quick thunderstorm like summer or a slow steady rain most of the day?

I know Florida weather is anything but typical lol! But would be helpful for planning purposes…. I know it’s foolish to look at the forecast more than a day before but I just can’t help myself haha!

Thanks!!!

We went to Disney for 4 days in December 2019. We had heavy downpours on two of the days. One was a steady hard pop up rain for about 40 minutes then sunny. We had brought ponchos but left them back in the hotel. The next day when we were getting ready to head early over to Magic Kingdom there were severe weather alerts. We decided not to wait it out, stood in the security tent for about 20 minutes while it blew over. Turned out to be the best day ever, because there was hardly anyone at Magic Kingdom for opening and we had an empty Adventureland all to ourselves. We were the only family in the stretching room of Haunted Mansion except for creepy cast member and had an awesome ride. So rain is not a bad thing but remember to bring your ponchos and some dry socks!

What is “typical” for rain in Florida in these months? Is it a quick thunderstorm like summer or a slow steady rain most of the day?

I know Florida weather is anything but typical lol! But would be helpful for planning purposes…. I know it’s foolish to look at the forecast more than a day before but I just can’t help myself haha!

Thanks!!!
It's neither. Rain in central Florida during the non-summer months can be heavy/severe when a front is moving in (like yesterday) or it could be passing showers when some type of system is out in the Atlantic, or all day showers when something is in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not really predictable on a long term basis. You can see the computer models when cold fronts are coming, but at best that is a few days (5 at most) away. Summer rains are predictable because of the heat/humidity/sea breeze effect over the state. You answered your own question though (Bold).

It's neither. Rain in central Florida during the non-summer months can be heavy/severe when a front is moving in (like yesterday) or it could be passing showers when some type of system is out in the Atlantic, or all day showers when something is in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not really predictable on a long term basis. You can see the computer models when cold fronts are coming, but at best that is a few days (5 at most) away. Summer rains are predictable because of the heat/humidity/sea breeze effect over the state. You answered your own question though (Bold).

This exactly.

Early December you never know what you are going to get weather wise. We have been there when it was 80 degrees all week, we have been there when it was in the 50s and 60s all week, and we have been there when it was 80 degrees two days and then 50 degrees the next. You can't trust the weather forecast either- even if you check the local forecast the day before your trip. The first year we went the week after Thanksgiving, the night before our trip the weather said the highs would be 70-73 all week, the first day that was correct and after that it was 82-85 the rest of the week with even a record high one day. We all had to buy T-shirts because we had brought long sleeved shirts. After that trip, I learned to pack a little of everything. As far as early December rain, we have been there when we never had a drop of rain all week, when we had some rain overnight while we were in bed but nothing during the day, and when it was an absolute downpour for almost 2 days where the parks were empty and we were having a blast until we got too wet and cold to keep going. Ponchos keep your upper half dry, but when it is cold enough that shorts don't work and wet enough that the ground is basically one big puddle, eventually your pants soak through. I will say it typically isn't like June where you might have a brief afternoon shower/storm about every day. It doesn't follow any kind of pattern. I will say I think we have had more dry weather than wet in December - and that two of my favorite memories ever are from that 2 day downpour-- one is of DD as a pre-schooler dancing down the flooded path in Frontierland kicking up water and saying "This is the Best Day Ever- you never let me go outside and play in the rain at home" and the next day the Safari at AK had more animals than I have ever seen out and active playing in and enjoying the rain, and there was no line and they were telling people to feel free to stay on and ride again and again if they wanted. If the waiting area for your row was loaded, they just moved those people to an empty row, or a row where people were exiting. So for planning purposes-- definitely take a little bit of everything. Outside of going when there is MNSSHP, early December is my favorite time of the year at WDW!

Last edited:
Just to illustrate the quick changes in the weather, we had a trip in early December one year where, for the first few days, there were near record highs in the 80’s. But the forecasts kept saying a cold front was coming.

On one day we were going to the Christmas party, and the forecast called for the front to come through late in the afternoon, accompanied by a period of thunderstorms. So, at about 4 PM we left for the MK wearing jeans and armed with jackets and sweatshirts. People on the bus who weren’t paying attention to the forecast must have thought we were crazy. But, just as we were entering the MK there were thunderstorms with hail and very strong winds. The temperature dropped from the 80’s to the 50’s in about an hour and it stayed windy.

We were prepared for it, but a lot of people in shorts and T shirts were buying sweatshirts and jackets that night.

Its a cold all day on and off rain from my experience.
😆 For a certain value of ‘cold’ maybe! If you’re a northerner (or Northern European - I’m in the UK) Florida is never actually cold, even in January/February. We’ve been in Orlando in February and it was one of the nicest trips we’ve had - shirtsleeve temperatures during the day and a light jacket or sweater after dark.

We will be there the first week of December. This is good advice, thanks all. I wasn’t planning on worrying about rain. I will now pack plenty of ponchos and our umbrellas. I only planned on taking one zip up hoodie, a couple pairs of jeans, several t shirts, and a couple pairs of shorts. Do think that will work?

Thanks!!!

Lol, thanks!! :)

We live here & rainy season is over….it was crazy but it’s over.
Enjoy you’re trip!

Thank you everyone for the great advice. We’ve been in November before and had great weather, but want to be prepared. Appreciate the anecdotes about how much fun the parks can be in the rain- it’s a great reminder!

Poncho shopping I shall go….

As others have said, it can be a roller coaster. I've been a couple of times the week before Christmas and one year it was warm enough to swim (I'm from Georgia so that means higher than 77) and another year we were wearing jeans and scarves and jackets. Even the year it was warm enough to swim, some nights it would get cool enough we had to wear sweatshirts. We have been earlier in December and had the same thing. I don't remember any gully washers like summer time but I do remember some all day kind of cooler misty days and a few cloudy looks like its going to rain any time but didn't but was cooler days. I'm going the week of Dec. 12th this year and plan on taking a few skorts, a few pairs of leggings, some T-Shirts and some long sleeve T-Shirts, the usual umbrella and rain jacket, probably a hoodie and maybe even tuck a lighter jacket/coat and a few scarves in. Thankfully I drive so I can pack as much as I want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter